General punto R reg 1998 - type of antifreeze

Currently reading:
General punto R reg 1998 - type of antifreeze

aminatulmunirah

Hi everyone.

I'm new and looking for a quick answer before the snow comes.

Have a 1998 Fiat pounto SX60.

trying to find some antifreeze for it. So, will it be Blue or Red one? My mechanic says its red, but I'm looking for 2nd opinion.

cherio!

I'm just using the stuff from poundland, well i will be once ive finnished my head gasket ommorow, imo it doesn't really matter, it's a punto at the end of the day not a performance car, as long as it doesn't freeze i'm happy.

Last edited:
why?

just because it's cheap it doesn't make it automatically crap, it's the same stuff they're selling eveyrhwere else for a few quid, like litterally the exact same, bottle and stuff.

If it is suitable for aluminium engines, then fine. But the chemicals that are used to make it safe for the alloy engines are a lot more expensive than those not. The different colours of anti freeze indicate how long they will last (as a corrosion inhibitor). Your tester might say you are protected against frost, but are the inhibitors still 'live'.

Cheers

D

Last edited:
For what it costs get a good quality red antifreeze, but also thoroughly flush out the system with a hose to remove as much sludge as possible. I like to finally fill the system with water & drop that before pouring in 3 litres (a bit more than 1/2 volume) of red concentrate, topping up with water and bleeding it properly.

The corrosion inhibitor is important because aluminium and iron react badly and need a powerful inhibitor. Cheap coolants wont do the job.

Last edited:
Back