Technical Punto Pop 2017 remote locking issue

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Pop 2017 remote locking issue

Oldgeebee

Hi, my wife just bought a low mileage 2017 Punto Pop (from a dealer) to replace her 2008 Punto Grande (had since new). For the test drive, she was given the emergency key to use and the remote locking key was handed over after payment. Stopping for petrol on the way back (long journey) she discovered that the remote didn’t work. Using the key in the driver’s side door lock will lock and unlock the car. I’ve changed the battery in the fob but it still doesn’t work. Is it likely to need a new key fob or could there be another reason for the remote not working?

Yeah, chances are that the internals are toast. I was wondering whether the receiver in the car could be faulty - is that a known issue?

Yeah, chances are that the internals are toast. I was wondering whether the receiver in the car could be faulty - is that a known issue?

My initial thought was..
'Not the correct key for your car'..

But the Blade works your locks 🤔

DOES it start the engine.?
Clearing the Immobiliser.. 😉

I think a good locksmith can check the innards, fit a new chip if necessary

Then they can re INSTALL BOTH KEYS, VIA the OBD port

Do let us know what you discover 👍

It does start the engine, so we can use the car so it’s defo the right key.
it’s under a 3 month warranty so next step will be to see if it’s covered by the warranty.
The handbook also states that a Fiat dealer can provide a new key (with ID and proof of ownership) so may try that route as well depending on warranty/cost of locksmith/cost of dealer’s new key.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. . .

Fiat Keys are north of 200 for the older typre and north of £350 for newer types. Try a locksmith as you will then be sure of what is neded. Locksmiths charges are normally substantially less than Fiat so worht trying first. without doubt. AC Leigh in Norwich are extremely helpfu; and competent,

Thanks for the price guides and the tip for the Norwich locksmith! I’ll see what the warranty covers and take it from there.

Update: I got a quote from a local auto locksmith of £130 for a new key (re-programmed at his workshop). However, the seller’s warranty is a ‘return to base’ only (they wouldn’t pay for our local locksmith). There’s a few other things that, over the last few days, we’ve noticed need fixing, so we’re going to take it back to let them sort things out. Bit of a pain due to distance but there’s probably a good £500+ worth of repairs needed so will have to bite the bullet.
Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

Further update: The dealer fixed the key issue under warranty by programming a blank remote key (no Fiat logo bu otherwise identical to the old one). We tested it at the time and it was unlocking the car remotely as well as starting the car. Today, we leant the car to my daughter and gave her the spare key (non-remote). Unfortunately, although it unlocked the car and turned the engine over, the engine wouldn’t fire. Using the new remote everything worked fine.
Does this mean that when the new remote locking key was programmed, the spare non-remote key also needed reprogramming/reinstalling?
Otherwise, any idea what the issue/fix would be? Reluctant to go back to the dealer (even though we are still just in warranty) since they are over a 2 hour drive away.

Further update: The dealer fixed the key issue under warranty by programming a blank remote key (no Fiat logo bu otherwise identical to the old one). We tested it at the time and it was unlocking the car remotely as well as starting the car. Today, we leant the car to my daughter and gave her the spare key (non-remote). Unfortunately, although it unlocked the car and turned the engine over, the engine wouldn’t fire. Using the new remote everything worked fine.
Does this mean that when the new remote locking key was programmed, the spare non-remote key also needed reprogramming/reinstalling?
Otherwise, any idea what the issue/fix would be? Reluctant to go back to the dealer (even though we are still just in warranty) since they are over a 2 hour drive away.
In a word.. Yes

All keys have to be programmed together

Did the old key it drove there with get scrapped?

Last edited:
OK thanks.
The old key didn’t get scrapped but right now we can’t find it - we’re hunting for it right now.

Well, we found the old remote-locking key. Our daughter still has the car so we can’t test it yet but chances are that the dealer’s locksmith did reinstall both new and old key but not the spare non-remote key since we didn’t have that with us at the time. They didn’t ask for it or warn us that it wouldn’t work though.
if the old key works, is it possible to get the non-remote key reinstalled?
if neither the old key nor the spare key work, is it possible to get them reinstalled without a trip back to the dealer (ie local Fiat garage)?

Well, we found the old remote-locking key. Our daughter still has the car so we can’t test it yet but chances are that the dealer’s locksmith did reinstall both new and old key but not the spare non-remote key since we didn’t have that with us at the time. They didn’t ask for it or warn us that it wouldn’t work though.
if the old key works, is it possible to get the non-remote key reinstalled?
if neither the old key nor the spare key work, is it possible to get them reinstalled without a trip back to the dealer (ie local Fiat garage)?
Yes

The code is probably stored on the cars system, ask a local locksmith 🙂

Back