Technical Punto 75 cilinderhead broken - replacement options

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 75 cilinderhead broken - replacement options

I had my 1.2 MPI swap complete and the engine was running.
But after about 30 minutes idleing it seized up.
Turned out the camshaft was blocked.
No movement at all.
After inspection it turned out the bearings were gone as a result of the revision company not cleaning it correctly.

So I have a cilinderhead that needs to be replaced.
Easier said then done as I can;t find one.

Are there other options?
The bottom end of the engine is fine, no crap in the cilinders.

It would be great if the punto 75 mani and exhast fit straight away.
Been out of it for a while so sorry for asking, brains a little rusty on the seic:rolleyes:

it is normal that an engine will have foreign materials in oilways. not the least cause oil filters will clog and then bypass the foreign objects, they are designed to do this. that is why there is a service interval for replacing filters
if you rebuilt a mini A series engine you drilled the oil gallery plugs purged, tapped the block and put threaded plugs back a factory exchange engine was expensive...
early pre 65 minis had a blow bye bypass light to say change me now cause of the integral gear box
back street garages should know this though I've seen it ignored
had to use kerosene in pressure oil can in service road outside digs myself then oil in can
any part from a breaker may be from an engine that seized on foreign material in oil
aero engines have chip lights chips are foreign material in oil
if you want to tune an engine you need to pay and engineer it or expect limited life

I had my 1.2 MPI swap complete and the engine was running.
But after about 30 minutes idleing it seized up.
Turned out the camshaft was blocked.
No movement at all.
After inspection it turned out the bearings were gone as a result of the revision company not cleaning it correctly.

So I have a cilinderhead that needs to be replaced.
Easier said then done as I can;t find one.

Are there other options?
The bottom end of the engine is fine, no crap in the cilinders.

It would be great if the punto 75 mani and exhast fit straight away.
Been out of it for a while so sorry for asking, brains a little rusty on the seic:rolleyes:

Your best bet would be german ebay, translate the name of the part you want to German and start searching. Saved my skin a couple of times...

As for the problem at hand, I would supect it was not a matter of cleaning, but wrong assembly. I particular, the oil feed line ends are very easy to flip upside down, the result is fully blocked oil passage. But I guess you must have checked that too after the disaster. Anyhow, really bad luck (n)

But the inlet mani does not fix straight away, does it?

Really? It's MPI for MPI, isn't it? Pretty sure the stud spacings are the same. FIAT may have played about a little on the water end of things, though. I remember welding something up on a P75 inlet mani to fit to a Sei MPI head, but I can't remember why!

Take the P75 mani to a scrappy -- see if there's an issue?

Visited a scrapyard today.

Got Lucky there's a punto 75 there.
But the engine is covered in oil, top to bottom.
It ran 175.000Km would this me a good option for a replacement?
Costs 75 euro's.

Also there's and 1.2 MPI 16v ypsilon.
Do these cilinderhead fit the punto 75 bottom?
I can get the whole cilinder head with all the other needed parts for 150 euro's.

If this is a straight fit this is better as it delivers 86Hp instead of 75Hp.

If the head fits, can I reuse the Seicento engine loom?
Just like the punto 75 conversion? (solder the extra injectors on and
done).

Forget the 16v head -- it'll bolt on, but the valves will put big holes in the 8v pistons!

Check the P75 head. If the cam and cam bearings are OK, everything else can be done (valves, guides, shimming, etc). If the cam bearings are worn, it's scrap.

You'd expect the rest of the engine to need a fair bit of work.

One othe option to look for is Palio Weekend 75, it has the same engine (well almost, but the head will fit). They were not as popular as Puntos in NL, but I do see one from time to time on the street.

I have no pics, but basically, remove the cam "caps" (it's polite to mark them so you don't put them back wrong!) lift out the cam, and all the bearing surfaces should be clean and shiny (on the cam and the bearings), without grooves, etc. .

Being a Punto, you can expect oil changes to have been skipped and if the cam bearings are scored they can't be re-finished (unless you work at a pretty well equipped engineering shop). For mere mortals, it's completely uneconomic.

don't forget to recover the shims from the old head.
the shaft might also be salvageable if you can remove it without using a hammer I might try hammer and wooden block myself

Back