Tuning Punto 1.2 16v Engine into 1996 Cinq Sporting...

Currently reading:
Tuning Punto 1.2 16v Engine into 1996 Cinq Sporting...

Captain Slow

Hi all, I'm considering fitting a Punto Mk1 1.2 16V ingine into my 1996 Cinquecento Sporting. I appreciate that I'll need to change the ECU, exhaust and it will feel a bit undergeared with the standard Cinq gearbox - are there any other issues I need to be aware of with this conversion?

Thanks,
Paul

Gearbox isnt really an issue, up to you if you want to swap the box for different one. All the gear ratios for various different boxes are in the FAQs or about on the forum. A quick search should find them.

Dan's guide on putting a 1.4 16v in a cinq is a good source of info - Clicky

I assume you want to run it on a mk1 16v ecu (commonly refered to as the 18FD), I've uploaded a wiring diamgram on here somewhere. Search my posts and youll find it.

No real difficulties as such, depends how much time and money you want to spend on it. You could spend years and years (and far too much money) like myself :p or just swap it over in a weekend

Best to refresh engine mounts or stiffen them up with a little bit of tiger seal or something similar.
Can't run with the cambelt cover and the bolt for the O/S headlight will need filing down.
O/S engine mount might also need a little bit of material removing from it to stop the alt belt catching.
Can use a larger throttle body of a 1.6 engine or some rover TBs.

Exhaust you can use the mk1 exhaust manifold and then get an exhaust place to make you a down pipe and join it on to the system of your choice.

There's plenty of info on this section of the forum and a few choice search words will help you sift through nearly a decade of people trying different things. :)

Don't forget that putting a bigger and thus heavier engine can also change the dynamics / handling of the car, so make sure brakes / suspension are in good order.

This is by no means an exhaustive list but not sure what else you want to know

Hi Duncan it's Chris long time no see how's the cinq still all good. I miss that car lol. Got a 16v seicento outside mine and a tjet old panda lol.

Back