Project Weedub

Currently reading:
Project Weedub

Full technical report on project weedub.

JESUS THATS FAST!!!

End of report

Upon arrival i was concerned that i would need to change from the slicks as the track was damp and greasy, but as the sun was shining i left them to see how i would get on. First few corners went good but was feeling my way about the car and track and when i did open her up a bit, the rear stepped out twice in the corners. The track was drying up well tho so stuck with the slicks.

The track isnt quite long enough to get out of 3rd gear but was still plenty quick

On acceleration coming out the corners theres a bit of a thump so i will have to check the engine mounts, battery wasnt fit to start the car after the initial start at the beginning of the session, so new battery needed, and must remember to carry jumpleads in the toolkit haha.

msb89 said:
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ seconded!!! :)

Haha, you enjoyed that run eh?

looking back on the vids it looks slow..

That last few laps were certainly a good bit faster tho...

Been looking into the handling side of things to see if i can improve the corner grip of the rear and getting the power down on the exits, so far i think i need to get it laser aligned and some camber put on the rears, and the rear will be getting lifted 10-20mm to aid downforce and hopefully transfer weight to the front of the car to aid grip in acceleration.

Well i'd defo say laser alignment is a great place to start, especially if you find somewhere that can set up your camber, there's a place called pro-grip that's highly rated, think Donald/Scuderia went there?

What kind of corners are you losing rear grip on? if it's more high speed stuff then i'd probably leave the rear of the car down and look at the front, it will probably be easier to give the front a touch of wash at high speed (usually by playing around with ARB's) and that will balance the rear out. You'll likely find if you start tweaking the rear the front will feel different anyway.

For getting power down, what diff do you have?, track cento's report huge benefits from Quaifes

If you watch the vid a few posts back, i was loosing the arse on the corner closest to the camera, but that could have been a combo of worn slick on nsr and greasy track, on saying that, i was struggling the whole time to get it to grip coming out the corners too, spinning up in 2nd and 3rd, it has an LSD but unsure of make.

Another problem i have with getting somewhere to set it up for me, is trust, and im sure you can relate on that one...

Oh and that brings me to the next thing i have to do, custom strut brace...

Stuart said:
If you watch the vid a few posts back, i was loosing the arse on the corner closest to the camera, but that could have been a combo of worn slick on nsr and greasy track, on saying that, i was struggling the whole time to get it to grip coming out the corners too, spinning up in 2nd and 3rd, it has an LSD but unsure of make.

Another problem i have with getting somewhere to set it up for me, is trust, and im sure you can relate on that one...

I just watched it, my browser doesn't let me but opened chrome and that did, so first time i've seen it

Can defo hear it losing traction under power, sounds like you can almost get the power down initially but the second the boost really comes in that's when it's breaking traction, but on slicks on a greasy track i'd say it's best to re-evaluate it all on a bone dry track and then adjust anything, all that there could just be tyres not suiting conditions which is just massively exaggerating stuff. Really doesn't take much wet to take slicks out of their operating window.

Yeah, most of the way im feathering the throttle, will have a wee play with it and see how it really does on the 6th :)

A pair of part worn slicks just been bought from ebay.

My first track day was today, slicks from ebay turned up so off I went to Colins tyres in Dyce to get them fitted (free plug for the lads for squeezing me in at short notice ;) ) got to the track about 5.45 and soon after was on the track, a few laps in, I blew a turbo hose off the hard piping, had to pit to tighten it all up again, through a set of new Mintex brake pads, 2 1/2 hours of use and that ended my event as I never brought spares with me. All in all a fantastic day and cant wait for the next one.

Bought Greenstuff pads and Pagid discs to replace my worn items, sitting in the van ready to be fitted, will get a couple sets of Ferodo pads though, they are supposed to be better. Will do some shopping this next couple weeks while im away.

Next track day:Wed 13th August.

Hope they last better than the mintex ones, They really seem to split opinion, hear some folk that only buy Mintex (mainly through habit it must be said) and others that won't touch them with somebody else's bargepole. I've used Mintex pads a couple of times on various cars and not had any real bother with excessive wear on road cars but have felt that their friction material makes the brakes feel a little more wooden and the relative lack of feel makes them snatchier.

Yeah I was a bit dissapointed with them but to be fair they took some stick! Will be upgrading to 4 pot calipers in the future anyroads.

Back