IMG_01991.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Fallout

Introduction

let me introduce to you, the free panda 4x4 which was first spotted >>Here<<.
First off however, here is the plan:

i will (some how) make the panda look "Post Apocalyptic" yet keep it in a road legal state (so no spikes, sharp rusty edges sadly). We have all seen mad max right? all wanted to replicate a mad max style car?
well let me be the first to attempt this with a fiat panda 4x4.

if anyone here has seen the TV program "Defiance", you surely have seen the epic Doge Charger that looks post apocalyptic. i will be trying to aim for the same theme. with such things as an external roll cadge, external metal mesh / grills covering the windows, custom bull bar, reinforced rear bumper made from tubular metal, custom twin output exhaust, and many many more.

this project is going to be undertaken as cheaply as possible (excluding parts necessary for a safe road going vehicle). reusing as many things as i can find (in scrap yards, freebees), true to a real post apocalyptic constructed vehicle. i will also be taking the "rough is best look" (please note, i say Rough not Rat!) the panda its self of course will undergo all the rust prevention Talon went under when i got him.

anyway, i will leave you a few seconds to build up a mental picture of how a panda 4x4 could look in a post apocalyptic landscape while browsing some of these Pictures.......

ok.. that should do.

First off. i need to get the panda all well and good.
a few things are broken... the exhaust, the front suspension on the passenger side, both rear dampeners are rusted out, the doors are shot but i will try to fix them, the gear stick is really loose and all the roller bearings have dropped out, the wiring is a mess (mice attack!), there are no brakes.. and i mean no brakes, and lets not forget the underside rust.

so today i started by stripping out everything inside the car to get a good look at the floor pan and clean it all out (Dragon Man style!) i found the usual rust: the boot floor is a mess, but easy fixable, a seam has gone just behind the drivers seat anything forward of that seems to be OK, and the back of the sills are just gone so i will need to rebuild that.

the engine runs.. the vac advance line has split so its a bit rough on tickover but it seems good. the fuel tank seems good.. all the 4x4 stuff seems good.

i have go a few pictures took free by a professional photographer! (or should i say someone with an epic camera :p)

Here are a few picture, but please check out >This Album<

like i say, check out the photo album.

i will be keeping >Online video logs< of this, so keep a look out on Youtube too.
here are some videos, both are long but the second one is longer!

Project Fallout a panda 4x4 turned post apocalyiptic - YouTube

Project Fallout Panda 4x4 What to do Post Apocaliptic looking Panda! - YouTube

keep watching guys.. the jet wash will be coming out later today!

Edit:

This is how it looks now: :eek::eek::eek: :slayer::slayer::slayer:

hey guys, heres some pictures:

not much rust on the back slam panel, just one hole.

oh.. dear.. well theres your problem.

and of the same side:

this is now fixed, no pictures though only just got in from doing it! (1:30AM)

the other side is almost the same :/

and another of the same side as you can see it was starting to go:

drivers door sill lip was starting to go:

heres one of the drivers side rear boot seam

and one of the passenger side:

here is one of the well ventilated boot floor:

could not find any rust converter, but have loads of blue hammerite and thankfully it has the stuff built in so i used that. gonna be a pain to weld to though but i will deal with that when the time comes. once i have done this i will start work on the inside of the boot floor.

also that big tow bar.. it is not on the car now. had to take it off to see if anything else is rusted underneath it. weighs a tone!

i have done two 20 minute videos :eek:
i just go on about crap in them so not really worth putting up. i will stick them on youtube but not tonight as i am way to tired.

indeed it is.welded box section into that bad it. should never rust there for a long long time

found his out today :LOL:

Free Car Check Report for G590KUJ

Vehicle Identification

Manufacturer: Fiat
Model: Not available
Year: 1990
Colour: Grey
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine Size (CC): 999
VIN: Not available
V5C Issued: Not available

Tax

Tax Status: Unlicensed
Expiry Date: 01/09/2005
Registration Date: 28/02/1990
6 Month Cost: £77.00
12 Month Cost: £140.00

so i guess the tax disc has to be the correct reg number.

I was in Derby last week.
I reckon you've pitched the look just about right!

Joking apart - you have my genuine admiration. You have the determination and the skills to put your ideas in to action. This is all great for us to watch, but you are putting in the graft, so good on you, and I hope these are all skills that you can put on yuour "life CV".
Good luck John.

Hey sorry man, whatever you are you are doing it well!

Never doubt your powers or you only give power to your doubts! :D

You are number 1, all others are number 2 or lower! Apart from purple haze as he is also number 1 and doing an equally as fantastic job :thumbup:

BUT what you are not doing a great job of is signing up for panday! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, never doubt your powers. You are Dragon man! bitten by a radioactive dragon in a freak accident in your old job as a research scientist at a top secret dragon containment facility at an undisclosed location in New Mexico. Ever since then you have roamed the world, staying one step ahead of the American military, trying to conceal your growing powers (obviously including the ability to weld Panda metal with your bare hands) and now fearing they are close again you are preparing a vehicle to burst through the roadblocks and make a break for freedom once again.

...also a button to delete stuff(y)

i really should do an update.. first off, sorry all i was away for a few (5) days camping at the Derbyshire Pagans Lammas camp. i did have internet accesses so i was keeping an eye on you rowdy lot.

i have been back a day so more work on the project had to happen.

i have been welding.. and .. worrying.. the more i work, the more the sills seem to disappear.

the wheel arch has been widened and (in the scruffiest way i can) welded.

the seam in the wheel arch has been split, cleaned up and welded together.

"most" of the holes in the boot floor have been welded up.

no work has yet been done on the sills bar cutting some really rusty stuff out. (i have ran out of sheet steel to weld into it!

you want pictures?

well be warned.. this is what farm life does to a panda. all the animal pee seems to have been very corrosive.

i decided to bend the sill skin back rather than cut it off. i know it will keep the dent... but it all goes in with the theme. mind you, i think i will be able to push it out.

Back