General pranged! hit and run!

Currently reading:
General pranged! hit and run!

Young woman in a blue mg zr tapped the rear bumper in traffic. Pulled into a pub car park to exchange details and she drove off! Arrrrrgggh it is just some crazed/cracked paint on the rear bumper but its so annoying that I now have to pay for this out of my own pocket to save my no claims! Is it worth letting a Fiat bodyshop near it or shall I just go independent. The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if the paint warranty will still be valid if I am to take it elsewhere?

Young woman in a blue mg zr tapped the rear bumper in traffic. Pulled into a pub car park to exchange details and she drove off! Arrrrrgggh it is just some crazed/cracked paint on the rear bumper but its so annoying that I now have to pay for this out of my own pocket to save my no claims! Is it worth letting a Fiat bodyshop near it or shall I just go independent. The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if the paint warranty will still be valid if I am to take it elsewhere?

Sorry to hear about the bump.
Personally I would be very out of sorts if that happened to me and would report her to the police for 'leaving the scene of an accident'. If you haven't got her registration number the police should be able to narrow it done. Although it might help if you had a stiff neck to get their co-operation.;)
If you have a crack in the paintwork I reckon it would involve a complete bumper re-spray. IMHO I would go independant since it's not on the actual bodywork.

I've had smart repairs in the past and never been 100% happy with them, short term cost doesn't bother me, I just want a flawless repair and i'm worried about paint quality on the metallic black paint

Sorry to hear that.
Is it that bad?
If its acceptable you can just leave it as it because its only the bumper. Do you have her numberplates?

If you have the number plate report her to the police for failing to stop

How frustrating. Sorry to hear about this incident. With cameras everywhere these days, it may be that this inconsiderate driver has been captured on at least one system.

If it were me, I'd go in person to the cop shop & report it as soon as possible. Good luck!

local police station is a very "part time" one. never seems to be open:confused:. i'll pop by tomorrow.

damage in photo doesn't look too bad but its worse than it looks as there is distortion in the plastic which the photo doesn't pick up. fun and games

Attachments

• twinair rear damage.jpg
    twinair rear damage.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
Ouch, What a PITA,

Sounds like a new bumper if its distorted, Any CCTV on the route you can get checked,

Did she look like she was going to stop and then drove off, or did she think as you pulled away there was no damage and you were not interested?.

...but its so annoying that I now have to pay for this out of my own pocket to save my no claims! Is it worth letting a Fiat bodyshop near it or shall I just go independent?

Condolences.

Sadly there will always be a minority of disgustingly selfish drivers who drive carelessly & inconsiderately & then run away from their responsibilities (n) :mad:.

Personally I'd forget about insurance claims & FIAT approved bodyshops & just find a small independent - it's hard to imagine an easier repair & even if you decide to go for a complete new bumper, they're simple to fit & don't cost the earth either.

Im sorry to hear whats happened to you. Next time dial 101 the non emergency Police number and report it straight away. You never know a Police patrol might have spotted her. We have no end of un marked plod cars around us they are very popular so are un marked Police motorcycles.

How did you get on with this in the end?
Did you find the mo-fo who owes you the cost of a new bumper?

na no luck, bought a HD in car camera for £40 quid though so it wont be happening again! just gotta save a few quid to get it sorted. trouble is I have a leaky roof at home so the money is being thrown at that for now. I'll have to learn to live with it until my overtime money comes in :(

Back