General Power steering

Currently reading:
General Power steering

Hi has anyone experienced a partial loss of steering assist ?, 4 times now over the past month my steering has gone very heavy for a short time, turn off the engine and restart it it seems to cure the problem, thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

It's hydraulic. You may have a leak, or the system may need bleeding. As varese says, first thing to check is the fluid level. Check along the bottom of the rack for signs of fluid, below where the two banjo bolts are fitted to the rack body; also where the gaiters join the rack, but the gaiters themselves can hold quite a bit of fluid, so if an end seal has failed, you won't always get a tell-tale sign by way of a visible leak. Grab hold of the outer end of each gaiter (where the tie rod emerges) and give them a good push up and down. You shouldn't be able to feel any free play. One end shim was shot on mine, so I sent the rack off for a rebuild earlier this year.

Never on my Multipla but on my old Chrylser Voyager it was a common problem and was related to metal chaff accumulating in the resevoir, blocking the filter and therefore restricting the flow of fluid to the rack. On that car it was a case of removing the resevoir, giving everything a good flushing and refitting. Worked like new after that. Only had to do it once in 165,000 miles.

I'll clean out the reservoir it could be partly blocked it has done 177000 miles, the fluid level is ok so don't think it's leaking but will get it on my ramps tomorrow and report back, thanks for the input, and the oil does look old and dirty ?

Last edited:
That's cool and thanks but a friend has a garage so I'll get it from him for free :) he only use good quality parts and lubes so no problems, thanks again

Use one of these, they come in various connector sizes:

http://www.magnefine.com/

BatchNo.jpg

Last edited:
Back