Technical Power steering light, no change in mileage and stalling when stationary

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering light, no change in mileage and stalling when stationary

ME03cam

Hi and thank you for having me on this forum. I have a 1.2 petrol 2006 grande punto. This is my first car and it has served me quite well, I’ve just had a new clutch and reconditioned gearbox fitted at a garage, I am only 19 so not really an expert when it comes to cars but have been trying my best to learn as much as possible.

I’ve not long had it back from the garage, the car has had the stalling issue for a while but I can’t ever seem to get to the root of the problem. I have been driving along, become stationary at a traffic light and the engine has cut out: I’ve restarted the car (having had to rev slightly to get it going). Upon driving away have not iced that the speedometer is not working, mpg not showing and the power steering light is illuminated.

If anyone has got any knowledge on this issue it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much in advance

Cam :)

Your car has had a new clutch fitted is the best clue now, so it ran beautifully before but after the clutch job it started, didn't it? Then i'd have to say that it's the main earth cable to the gearbox between the chassis and negative battery terminal. Fit a new cable. Also check the battery terminals that they're clean and not loose.

Indeed Black cable from battery can rot internally.. causing odd things :-(

Speedo... oldcars drive from the gearbox too

As I said.. get gearbox mechanic to check their work :)

OBD reader might hint at the cause..

They start at @£8.. a garage will charge
£40 / @ £130..!! For ONE reading..

Ask around somebody will have one ;)

And I guess when you get a generic code reader, you can only see generic fault codes. If it indeed was the earth cable, you'd get a whole list fault codes which are all wrong. :eek: Also the engine bay fusebox is one source of odd electric issues.

Back