General Power Steering City Mode - On or Off

Currently reading:
General Power Steering City Mode - On or Off

Is the city mode normally on or off when you drive?

• On (i.e.lighter)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Off (i.e. Heavier Steering at lower speeds)

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters
i have it on all the time..

i had it off when i first bougt the car, for about a week..
then turned it on and left it on. its so light and going round corners is so easy, turned it off for a sec the other day when i drove cross county motorway style..
then got to a roundabout to find it really havy in comparisson.. advice: leave it on, y bother strainin to turn

(y)

Just a thought but do you think you can damage the steering unit by changing the button whilst driving?

I was once driving and my idiot fiend kept pressing the button on and off, then went into a corner and turned the wheel and it didn't turn as much as I was expecting and realised the fool had turned it off again.

Also we know it cuts off anyway around 30 to 40 mph but what about the way the car accelerates? Is that effected by whether or not that button is on or off, for instance in motorway driving and when over taking?

I can't imagine how it can damage the steering unit. All it does is set the electric motor to use more power under 70 km/h.
The acceleration of the car is not effected in any way, it's just a choice between more or less power to the power-steering.

All I am trying to say is that it's a drain on the engine. No idea how much it is (never driven a punto nevermind used the feature) that it uses but on such a small engine and car, any drain can be noticed. I.e. stick Aircon on on such a small car and you really can tell. Stick it on on a large car and you wouldn't notice so much.

City mode does affect the performance on the Sporting. It states in the Punto handbook that with the city button on it,

Quote, "ensures a more comfortable drive by gradually dosing the accelerator pedal, suitably calibrated for acceleration and deceleration, consequently this version offers sportier and more comfortable driving conditions" unquote

It certainly works this way on my Sporting, if it is switched on it certainly reduces acceleration but it is a smoother and more gradual take-off and the car returns around 54 mpg if driven like this constantly.

I dont use it but I leave it switched on when my wife drives it and it compensates brilliantly for her heavy right foot.

She still doesnt know why it will go much better when I drive and I am not telling her why.

The idea of electric power steering over hydaulic systems is that the electric system only exerts any extra power drain on the engine when turning the steering wheel when the alternator will be loaded to supply the current required, therefore straight line running has no theoretical power drain on the engine and maintaines performance and increases fuel efficiency

The hydraulic system has a power drain whether turning or not as the power steering pump is being turned at all times when the engine is running therefore continuous power drain on the engine.

BTW The current models of the Toyota Corolla use the electric system.

Shunter said:
The idea of electric power steering over hydaulic systems is that the electric system only exerts any extra power drain on the engine when turning the steering wheel when the alternator will be loaded to supply the current required, therefore straight line running has no theoretical power drain on the engine and maintaines performance and increases fuel efficiency

The hydraulic system has a power drain whether turning or not as the power steering pump is being turned at all times when the engine is running therefore continuous power drain on the engine.

BTW The current models of the Toyota Corolla use the electric system.

That is my understanding too.

One of the reasons many manufacturers have started using electric PAS (very few new-to-the-market cars now have hydraulic systems) is the benefit of it not affecting economy unless the wheel is being turned. Therefore it won't affect performance either. As for the button changing the accelerator in the Sporting I have never heard of that (and I have read my manual, yes I am that sad) but it sounds possible (the BMW M5 E39 and E60 both have 'power' buttons that change the calibration of the steering, throttle and in the case of the E60 the gearchange speeds)

I test drove a new punto and when i took off from dealerships was going along nicely and and had to manuver around a park car and nearly ended up hitting another car as the muppet salesman had left the city button on and the steering was pathetically light you can change lane with no effort and it wears tyres badly when parking as it encourages you not to move while turning wheels so causes uneven wear

Its good when parking in a tight space yes but i wouldnt have it on when driving along i think it could be dangerous if you 'drive' the car

And john stoke i know what you mean about the a500 its a damn joke

Shunter said:
I dont use it but I leave it switched on when my wife drives it and it compensates brilliantly for her heavy right foot.

She still doesnt know why it will go much better when I drive and I am not telling her why.

(y) ... LOL .. That's a Classic!!!

The Negotiator said:
All I am trying to say is that it's a drain on the engine. No idea how much it is (never driven a punto nevermind used the feature) that it uses but on such a small engine and car, any drain can be noticed. I.e. stick Aircon on on such a small car and you really can tell. Stick it on on a large car and you wouldn't notice so much.

Assumedly it would use more Power Steering Fluid...?

Back