Technical Possible coil pack issue?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible coil pack issue?

chicken_chau_mein

Stilolos???
I was on the motorway to trafford centre yesterday and turned off the slip road when i felt my engine start to shudder and then the check engine light came on along with the warning BEEP BEEP BEEP! It only lasted a few seconds (the engine shudder!) then it felt normal again but the warning light remained on. I nursed her home doing 60mph max and she felt fine.

This morning the warning light was off but instead of my usual motorway route to work i took the back roads to work thinking it would be better. 5 minutes in to my journey and in second gear, the engine starts shuddering again along with the usual warning and sounds. Thing is, it only shudders a bit in second and third gear but feels fine in fourth and fifth.

I've had a look through the search but if anyone can advise, that would be great.

The car is a 05' 1.6. I only just cleaned the inlet valve last week but I don't know if that will of caused any damage?

Oh, i'm planning to take the gf to lake district this weekend (about an hour and a half away) but i'm not sure if its best for the car...

How should I go about testing one and how easy is it? The car still feels ok to drive apart from when in second or third gear, it feels jumpy for a few seconds.

If there's only one faulty, and i change just that one, will the others not be on their way out too??? Exactly like the coil spring. The Fiat dealer changed the one and told me the other one was fine. That went a few months later so i changed all 4 for good measure. I'm thinking it would be the best for the coils too?

I agree about the springs but coils basically either work or they don't (and are also a lot easier to change ;))

The single biggest problem with coils is that they can also be intermittent.

Check out the coil threads on the Forum and you'll find stacks of info

Being intermittent is gonna be a bugger! Its only been today and yesterday but the light goes on and off when it wants to so if all 4 coils work sometimes, how will I identify the duff one?

thats one of the good things about modern cars, the body computer will store the fault codes,
i use the elm 323 usb and connect it to my notebook. the readout you get will tell you which cylinder there is a missfire on - this is the failing coil.
the kit cost me about £30 from talktomycar you maybe able to get it cheaper but its a wise investment - just 1 fault diagnositic test and its payed for its self when compaired to dealer prices.
roy

thats one of the good things about modern cars, the body computer will store the fault codes,
i use the elm 323 usb and connect it to my notebook. the readout you get will tell you which cylinder there is a missfire on - this is the failing coil.
the kit cost me about £30 from talktomycar you maybe able to get it cheaper but its a wise investment - just 1 fault diagnositic test and its payed for its self when compaired to dealer prices.
roy

I've just had a look on that website and all the ELM equipment is over £100!

I might just get the set of 4 brand new coils and change the lot for £130.

For about 3 months now, once the engine is warmed up, at idle, the engine does jump abit with the revs slightly bouncing as if its about to stall. I put it down to the inlet valve being dirty and i cleaned it up last week. Only now have i got the engine warning and the car juddering while driving but its never been like this before. Its like the car loses power for split seconds but then carries on.

You don't want much for your £30 do you :rolleyes:

What's important is it will provide a fault code.

I'd only buy 2 coils at most - you'd look really silly if NONE were faulty :eek:

Lol good point. I've ordered that usb reader. It just needs to find the fault. Bet i'd look pretty cool with my notebook hooked up to the car... Just like they did in The Fast and The Furious... Except my car is neither fast nor very furious! Does it matter though if the coil packs are not matched, i mean like from different manufacturers? Also, where does the thingy plug in... :eek:

I like things to match and i much prefer things symettrical! The thing i hate most is cars with only one reverse light and one fog light! ARGHHH!

But anyways, hopefully my things will arrive by saturday and get it fixed. I've ordered 2 coil packs for £55 including delivery. £35 for the reader too. All in all, £80 and i pray it will fix her up... (y)

Back