Technical Check Engine light after stalling + Loose Connection warning + Car Security warning- D4 connector issue?

Currently reading:
Technical Check Engine light after stalling + Loose Connection warning + Car Security warning- D4 connector issue?

Hi everyone, long time reader and first time poster here :)

I bought an '03 1.6l 5D Stilo a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to work out all of the small issues in the car. The previous owner told me that the car sometimes gives a check engine warning if you stall the car out, but that it can be cleared with FiatECUScan, and it won't come back on. He gave me his ECU scan kit.

Sure enough, yesterday I managed to stall the car when driving in some deep snow, and the check engine light came up on the dashboard. Today I installed FiatECUScan on my laptop, and managed to clear the error - it was something about the ECU and ABS not being able to communicate properly. However, as I was sitting in the car, I also saw the loose connection warning flash up on the screen very briefly, and on one of the many times I had to switch the power on and off of the car, I saw the car security warning, but it went away on its own after cycling power.

I read a fair bit through the Stilo section today, and saw the discussion about the D4 connector. This caught my eye:
What faults will this cause?
Mainly, this connector will cause the following faults on engine/ignition startup;
  • Engine Fault
  • Any combination of ABS, ASR, EBD, ESP faults
  • Car Security Failure
That sounds like an exact match to my issues. The car is certainly driveable as it is, but I would like to sort this thing out permanently.

I have a pretty good toolset, I have the ECU scanning kit and software (although I should probably switch from FiatECUScan to MultiECUScan?), contact cleaner spray, and compressed air spray, so I am planning on following the D4 connector fix guide posted by deckchair5.

Any input from people with experience? Do you think my issues could be fixed by cleaning and wrapping the D4 connector? Anything I should know going in?

Update: I opened up, dried, and cleaned the connector, but I wasn't able to wrap it since there was so little space, and I didn't want to disassemble anything further since I didn't necessarily need to.

It has been about two weeks now, and the issues seem to indeed be fixed! I have even stalled the car a few times (again in deep snowo_O), and the check engine light hasn't come back on.

I'm just wondering how permanent of a fix this was, will it be good for weeks or years? I might update again later.

Update: I opened up, dried, and cleaned the connector, but I wasn't able to wrap it since there was so little space, and I didn't want to disassemble anything further since I didn't necessarily need to.

It has been about two weeks now, and the issues seem to indeed be fixed! I have even stalled the car a few times (again in deep snowo_O), and the check engine light hasn't come back on.

I'm just wondering how permanent of a fix this was, will it be good for weeks or years? I might update again later.

i recon you may have problems with your Ecu its a common problem on the stilo 1.6 search the forum you should find posts on it.

Back