Technical Plug leads & coils

Currently reading:
Technical Plug leads & coils

NigelO

Just a quick note to anyone still running original plug leads and coils.

I always thought my little Panda was struggling a bit at certain revs / loads. It wasn’t quite a misfire, but it felt like it was holding back. Driving it to Bike Park Wales with two 20kg bikes on the roof and into a 30mph headwind was horrible - it just felt like the handbrake was on.

we twigged that it was 2-3k revs and about half throttle that was the problem. Below this it was fine and above it, it was OK too. It has already had a full service, with new plugs and filters, so I bit the bullet and replaced the coils and plug leads.

what a difference! It’s definitely much more eager in the mid-range (if you can ever call 59bhp ‘eager’) and the fuel consumption is much better. My son used it for a week’s commuting while his Jag was leaking coolant and he got over 48mpg over a full tank - not bad for a 4x4 petrol….

I dare say it only needed plugs leads OR coils, but I decided it wouldn’t do any harm to replace the lot.

I've stated several times the importance of sparkplugs in these engines. Because they run well with iffy plugs, they are often dismissed as not an issue, but the difference can be night and day.

Back