Petrol pump scam

Currently reading:
Petrol pump scam

Try this at your garage pump the next time you fill up
put exactly 1 litre of fuel in your tank and see how much it cost, does it match the current displayed price?
Luigi

Your receipt will state number of litres pumped and also the current price, if you must multiply one by the other to check if it's right. If they were wrong all my tank costs in fuelly would be wrong as it multiplies the litres pumped by price, you never type in how much you've paid yet it's all ways bang on.

put exactly 1 litre of fuel in your tank and see how much it cost, does it match the current displayed price?
So tell us how it went for you. I think you will find that there is a minimum quantity that the pump will register, either 2 or 5 litres. You can stop with less than that but you will still be charged the minimum.

Last edited:
I saw this on my FB page a few days back, along with a photo of the pump.
The cost per litre was 123.9 but the photo showed 1litre pumped & the display showed a cost of 1.25.
10352938_887382497961154_7708366247005654400_n.jpg

Mind you, that 0.9ppl added onto the price is always rounded up so the only sure way to avoid the ripoff is by adding multiples of 10 litres.
I read a figure of around 38 million registered drivers in the UK. I wonder how many of them actually check the price is correct, not easy to do without a calculator & not many would stand there working out the price!

I have a feeling this is more of a quirk as to how the displays in on the pumps work than an actual thing. I always update my fuelly before leaving the petrol station, it shows the cost of the last fill up immediately once given litres pumped and cost per litre, the one calculated on by fuelly matches the reciept.

Back