Astra screen washer pump

Currently reading:
Astra screen washer pump

The screen wash kept appearing in puddles underneath Mrs Codger's Astra.
having taken the inner wing off I discovered it was leaking. As they are not expensive I bought a new one off the internet and changed the old pump for the new one.
But, when I came to pull the stalk forwards for front screen wash, the rear screen got washed instead. The first thought I had was that perhaps I had put the pipes on the wrong way round, but I checked again and I haven't.
How does the pump direct the fluid to the correct nozzles?
This is what it looks like. There is a spout that fits into the bottom of the reservoir and 2 outlet pipes from the blue part which I assume is the valve.
At the moment I have put the old pump vback in, and it's working as normal (still leaking of course though). Could they have sold me the wrong pump?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!oMF!Z),HiGmBQPoUN5YN!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!oMF!Z),HiGmBQPoUN5YN!~~60_35.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 65
was going to post this on AOC but you have already done that, there was a suggestion the wires may be wired in the motor the wrong way around, any chance of checking that or have you already?

Update.
I got a new pump sent out.
I have discovered that the new pumps, when connected to a 12v battery, +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve, the water quirts out of the opposite nozzle than when you make the same connections with the original pump. So , yes, they are wired up differently. It can't put the plug in the other way as it won't fit the other way.
I suppose the moral of this story is buy original parts, not generic parts. :(

"Just an idea" can you not open the plug & move the wires around or cut wires & reconnect to pump using new spade connectors.

Well to finally "close the file" on this one.
The supplier off Ebay refunded my money with good grace as their pumps didn't work on my car.
So I found an alternative supplier that was a bit dearer (but still massively cheaper than from the Vauxhall dealers) and their pump arrived today.
Having been bitten before, I tested this pump off the car first and it worked perfectly!
So I then fitted it to the car very quickly, and the windcreen got washed at the right command.
So I tested the rear screen just to be sure....
It didn't work.
However, having tested it off the car first I knew that it must have been a coincidental clogging up of the rear nozzle. I have had this happen before on the Punto.
Boy was this a determined blockage! I took the nozzle out, I poked it with a pin, I blew through it, I soaked it in hot water, and still something was blocking it.
So, in desperation, I rigged up a bowl of warm water with screen wash, a 12v battery, a length of piping, and one of the faulty pumps, and connected it up. That did the trick. After a few seconds of struggling water came blasting out!
It's now all back on the car and Mrs Codger is happy at last!
The moral(s) of that story are:
The cheapest isn't always the best.
And if your rear screen isn't washing, make absolutely sure that it is not just a blcoked nozzle before you start taking the pump out etc. The road salt and cold weather etc seem to make a perfect combination for blockages that take a lot of shifting!

Back