Technical Petrol fumes

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol fumes

bash627

I have a 1995 cinquecento. I am getting petrol fumes inside and outside of the car. I have replaced petrol tank but can still smell petrol. My brother thinks it might be in the filling pipe. Does anyone know if it might be that and if so how do I fix it. Many thanks in advance.

I have a 1995 cinquecento. I am getting petrol fumes inside and outside of the car. I have replaced petrol tank but can still smell petrol. My brother thinks it might be in the filling pipe. Does anyone know if it might be that and if so how do I fix it. Many thanks in advance.
I had this happen to me with my Cinquecento Sporting, back at the end of July. I properly brimmed it to the max before setting off on a 270 mile drive in it. As soon as I pulled out of the filling station, the cabin reeked of fuel. Checked under the rear seat to see if the seal had gone on the access hatch, but it was bone dry and no fuel dripping from the tank or filler neck. Smell went after 150 miles or so.

The previous owner had replaced the tank on my one, whilst in his ownership - but he only drove the car about 250 miles in the 10 years he had it for.
So pretty much a brand new tank on my car.

I'd say drive it for a bit and don't fill the car right up, also double check the access hatch under the rear bench.

Fiat part 51744764

available from fiat dealers, one genuine part on ebay:

also some repair parts from Poland on ebay.

I changed one on a cinquecento and i think the part was simpler, looks like it migth be possible just to replace the pipe:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Fiat part 51744764

available from fiat dealers, one genuine part on ebay:

also some repair parts from Poland on ebay.

I changed one on a cinquecento and i think the part was simpler, looks like it migth be possible just to replace the pipe:

Many thanks for your help

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back