Technical New Petrol Tank/Broken Fuel Gauge.

Currently reading:
Technical New Petrol Tank/Broken Fuel Gauge.

demoscott

Hi,

I've had the car for over a year now and i have been dealing with the fuel gauge not working properly by just using the milage counter thing. I thought id been doing okay until today when the car konked out. I luckily had a petrol can in the boot so i wasn't too far from a petrol station to sort. But it freaked me out so i wanna get it sorted. When I took it to my garage for the tank change, i took back complaining of this, and they said they've done everything they could.

I know there my be other threads about this but would prefer some updated help.

Thank you.

Have you looked at it at all?

Access is via the hatch under the back seat.
Once that is off you can see the top of the tank and the gauge sender connections.

To check the level sensor itself, you'd need to take the pump assembly out.

Remember. Fumes ignite also so if dicking about with the sender unit NO SMOKING OR SPARKS PLEASE. :) Yeah good chance the sender unit wires are dirty or broken. Have a look under rear seat, bet its the earth. If need be pen up the sender unit and give that a good clean as old crud could be jamming the float from coming up and giving you no or low reading.

I know ive mentioned this before but when i replaced my fuel tank i couldnt squeeze the pump/sender through the hole in the tank
Might be different on yours but i had to dismantle mine inside the tank and take it out in bits
It went back into a new tank ok after putting allvthe bits back together so im assuming O/E tanks had a tighter hole by a mil or so
Please follow the safety advice given. Take keys out of ignition or disconnect battery to stop any sparks. Unlikely but why take an unnecessary risk.

Back