General petrol tank

Currently reading:
General petrol tank

peter1230

hi all,just trying to get the petrol tank out (snapped two of the bolts even after a good soak of wd40! are the bolts made of cheese?)am having problems with the filler pipe its stuck like sh*t to a blanket! any idea's how to get it off? the sei has a stainless exhaust so it looks like i might have to drop that as its all welded. many thanks in advance

First bit of advice is to get some Plusgas instead of WD40.
Yes you will need to drop the exhaust. I tried letting it hang on the flexi and wish I hadn't...!

thanks for that,david.i'll give it a blast tomorrow. never had a hose fight so much!

I can't remember what I used to get the filler hose off, probably some screwdrivers shoved in!!
When you come to put it back, some Hylomar Red is a good sealant and helps it slip on. It is also resistant to Petrol.
One of my rear bolts snapped too, thankfully the others came out ok. So it's been held up with three bolts and a cabletie. :)

yep agreed, an actual penetrating oil does work way way better than wd40, even so they like to snap. When you get the tank off and take the breather pipe off there is a rubber eal thingy that usually stays on the tank, take that off for your new tank or it wont seal properly ;) ask me how i know lol

Try using a smaller ratchet? I used to snap stuff more often. Obviously sometimes you can't avoid it but with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and less force and you can sometimes work the threads a bit...

Paint the new tank. The new one I fitted to my sei last year is now covered in surface rust already !

Good luck with it

Back