Currently reading:
Parking

Right

Parking.JPG

let me try and explain best as i can
Red house is my girlfriends parents
Blue is there neighbour
Black spray is the Road, and Red lines near the road are dipped kerbs

originally it used to be just Car A parking in her own drive, but she now has another partner (Car B)

He used to park Where i park (C) But without blocking my other halfsdrive but pretty darn close really restricting the view, when he wasn't there i park there
There are no parking restrictions and there are no permits etc etc
highways agency have said there is nothing they can do, except monitor the situation

Now the neighbour lost his temper and smashed down the Wall in pink - that goes across there property (the dashed part) and is now parking his car Where car B is now on the picture
However since there is NO dipped kerb infront where he is parking, i've been parking where car C is, going over my other halfs drive, my bum blocking him
Thats all fine because when im there i move if the parents need to get out. they dont mind that

Well today only His car was there (B) i pulled across as per normal, but across front of his and across other halfs drive. When im going in, i hear a loud banging on a window, its the man basically wanting me to move my car
Fat chance, shrugged my shoulders and went in

Now the question is - because there are some well in the know people
Since he isn't parking where there is a Dip, i can LEGALLY park there? He cant legally make me move can he?

Only problem will occour is if he has a dip put in for him, which i dowt they will do

Advice please

Ziggy

Legally you are in the right but and its a big BUT, do you want to antagonise your other halfs neighbours. A lot of what makes a place a nice place to be is the neighbours and alienating them is never a good thing.

You can actually park across the dropped curb as long as you are prepared to move your car immediately you are asked to do so by the owner of the property.

Last edited:
Legally you are in the right but and its a big BUT, do you want to antagonise your other halfs neighbours. A lot of what makes a place a nice place to be is the neighbours and alienating them is never a good thing.

unfortunatly before i got there - the tone has already gone sour

They aren't nice or friendly to me either

the whole street is all for themselves, not for anybody else

It happens to the other half, the work van isn't on a dip (been a work van he dont care about bumping it up and down) but that gets blocked in, and double parked means its practically impossible to get it onto his drive without some skill, a long wheel base transit on narrow streets and lots of cars, nobody cares if its a pain or not.....

Ziggy

Thats tough, I live in a close with very ltd parking and when I have a party my guests park on my neighbours drives (Of course the neighbours are usually invited to the party too ;) )

If your car is parked across his then it's not legal as you're restricting his access onto the highway.

Also, why are you blocking the pavement?

Dom

unless the law has changed recently then its as I said, however I wouldn't do it, or advocate it, as it is a sure way of angering your neighbours. If you refuse the request to move then the police can gain access to your car and move/remove it but they will ask you to move it first aswell. The person who has the dropped curb pays more council tax for the access to their property but its not a criminal offence to block it.

You have no 'legal right' to park on the public highway (people never understand this)

They have a legal right to access to their property.

If you 'block' their access dipped kerb or not you are on the wrong side of the law because of their legal right of access. You are deemed to have blocked their access when they decide you have and can show a restriction in access to their property, I,e you are not blocking access to your girlfriends parents house if they say it is fine for you to park across their driveway.

It's pretty open/shut, its not a criminal matter and is all pretty much covered under civil law because of its subjectivity.

As others have said antagonising the neighbours of your girlfriends parents isn't a great idea, and is not a very sensible way to integrate into the family. If you were to break up in the future you could leave them with a big problem with their neighbours or even cause a split up.

You have no 'legal right' to park on the public highway (people never understand this)

If you 'block' their access dipped kerb or not you are on the wrong side of the law because of their legal right of access. You are deemed to have blocked their access when they decide you have and can show a restriction in access to their property, I,e you are not blocking access to your girlfriends parents house if they say it is fine for you to park across their driveway.

It's pretty open/shut, its not a criminal matter and is all pretty much covered under civil law because of its subjectivity.

As others have said antagonising the neighbours of your girlfriends parents isn't a great idea, and is not a very sensible way to integrate into the family. If you were to break up in the future you could leave them with a big problem with their neighbours or even cause a split up.

IIRC you cannot park as to block a vehicle's access to the highway, but there is no law to stop you parking across a driveway if you're not blocking access to the highway.

Dom

50/50 street with limited access for residents.....you dont live there.....park a bit further away and walk

I assume your legs are in good order? Maybe one of the other neighbours isnt though and they might need that bit extra room you parking elsewhere may create

Also :slayer: for not bothering to move car when asked, go on about him not bothering to turn his wheel to go round you (only your word for that) you cant be ar*ed yourself to leave the property for 30 seconds worth of inconvenience!

Nice attempt to try and build bridges as well by playing that card above

As you can see inconsiderate, selfish drivers blocking people in get my back up as i suffer this on a daily basis, you know yourself you are causing a slight obstruction however minor - these are the worst people of all

Last edited:
If your car is parked across his then it's not legal as you're restricting his access onto the highway.

He's no legal access to the higway over the none dropped curb, hime driving over it is illegal I believe.

Not with a vehicle if its over a pavement without a drop down.

Legally what OP is doing isn't illegal, but I'd be questioning if this nut case is likly to damage OPs car etc.

Regarding right of access etc, we had this scenario several years ago when an elderly neighbour returned from a shopping trip to find some muppet had blocked the drive (he was in a house several doors along but for some strange reason, he didn't want to block their drive).
Old boy called at the house & the young lad, basically, gave him a mouthful of verbal.
Old boy called the police. Although the kerb was dropped & the driveway was official, there was no legal right of way ONTO the property - it would only become illegal if my elderly neighbour's car was blocked from getting OFF the driveway - providing the car is taxed, tested & insured.
This left my elderly neighbour very upset & with nowhere to park (he couldn't block cars in on the young lad's drive as that would be illegal :bang:).
plod weren't even interested in the torent of abuse my elderly neighbour got from the young muppet.

its one of those streets
Everybody is parked on the kerb and road 50/50

Ziggy

No such thing :confused:

IMO There is never an excuse for parking on the footpath, tells you not to in the highway code.

I'd park somewhere else with more room and walk or on the drive if/when there is room. He may e.g. "accidently" snap your wing mirror off, which I suspect he would not be liable for as your car is parked illegally in spot C?

Whether or not he has the right to drive over the footpath into his newly created space... not really your problem, you can't get people to do what you want. He's causing less hassle to your girlfriends parents now than when he parked in C as he's not blocking girlfriends drive anymore or parking on the footpath. You could report him I guess but nothing will get done.

You can look after your own actions though and be above him i.e. not parking on the footpath and not blocking him - for the sake of peace.

Last edited:
Back