Parking

Currently reading:
Parking

Looks like it actually is a grey area.
http://pedestrianliberation.org/2010/08/30/are-vehicles-allowed-to-park-on-the-pavement/
Even though it's a grey area or not illegal you still shouldn't do it because the highway code tells you not to.

“244. You*MUST NOT*park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs”.

Last edited:
Surely it is down to local discretion - in a small residential street outside of London that james linked to, would you suggest everyone parks on the road? What congestion would that cause?

Last edited:
But for all you know, the residents in that close are totally happy with the situation and have no issues :shrug:

To make it illegal across the country wouldn't make sense.

Looks like it actually is a grey area.
http://pedestrianliberation.org/2010/08/30/are-vehicles-allowed-to-park-on-the-pavement/
Even though it's a grey area or not illegal you still shouldn't do it because the highway code tells you not to.

“244. You*MUST NOT*park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs”.

Park somewhere else and walk. I would not park on the footpath I follow the highway code, I don't have a choice in that?

(My bolding)

It says SHOULD NOT, not MUST NOT.

You MUST NOT obstruct the pavement (for example people need to be able to walk down it with a double pram etc).

You also MUST NOT obstruct the highway (for example if a fire engine needs to get down the road they must be able to).

Dom

If it says 'must not' in the Highway Code then it is a legal requirement and you can be prosecuted for any offence covered.

If it says 'should not' this is an advisory and does not form part of law, it is advise, you could be prosecuted but that would be down to circumstance and be covered under some other area of the law

Purposely being difficult?

Would you prefer to block the emergency services from doing their job?

Dom

I wouldn't block the emergency services I'd follow the Highway Code and use off-street parking areas, or bays marked out with white lines on the road as parking places. Or find a wider road to park on and walk the rest of the way. Or I'd use my drive or a car park!

Last edited:
I wouldn't block the emergency services I'd follow the Highway Code and use off-street parking areas, or bays marked out with white lines on the road as parking places. Or find a wider road to park on and walk the rest of the way. Or I'd use my drive or a car park!

Most of the highway code is ADVICE, not LAW.

You do that, I'll continue to park 100% legally and not inconveniencing anyone. :)

Dom

tumblr_mifmluiW581s5c0lco1_400.gif

You do that, I'll continue to park 100% legally and not inconveniencing anyone. :)

Crystal ball?

Back