General Panda Security system

Currently reading:
General Panda Security system

Apollo2134

Hi!

Am I right in assuming it is UK law for all new cars to be fitted with an immobiliser and alarm system? I ask because I need to find out for insurance purposes if my 2005 Fiat Panda has these security features otherwise they, the insurance company will charge me £35 just to inspet the car and see if it has one.

Thanks for any help!

How can I tell if my FIAT Panda has an alarm system?

I'm unsure as to if my FIAT has an alarm system, it's a 2005 FIAT Panda.
How can I tell if it has one? Silly question but I've not been driving or had the car long!

Thanks

Re: How can I tell if my FIAT has an alarm system?

I'll try that when my girlfriend gets home with the car.
It's a condition of my insurance that it has an alarm but they will charge me £35 just to inspect it and see if it has one or not....

It more than likely will not have an alarm, unless the original owner decided to install one...

I thought that for insurance purposes you needed a certificate of installation by an approved installer...

They do require one or an inspection.
I think my car does not have one so it looks like I will have to buy one. I've looked around and they are expensive. Like £200 inc installation, money I can ill afford.:(

Immobiliser as standard. No alarm. I did not know there was any kind of law, but most cars come with immobilisers now.

I just told the insurer it was factory fitted standard and they were happy. Your insurer sounds difficult. Do you live somewhere extra dodgy? Have a history of 'losing' cars? Try another insurer IMO.

Most new cars come with an engine immobiliser as standard these days, but I'm pretty sure it's not manadatory to have an alarm fitted.

Insurer's will normally accept factory fit immobiliser.

Tell them you'll put on a steering wheel crook lock, remove all wheels and the battery each evening and keep your rottweiller in a basket in the back seat and see if they will do you a quote on that basis.:rolleyes:

Alternatively......go somewhere else for your insurance.

Throw a brick through the side window......................erm I don't hink any of the Pandas come with one.

Liam

The insurance groupings take into account what's fitted as standard and are adjusted accordingly. If your insurer doesn't know this I would go elsewhere.

Re: How can I tell if my FIAT Panda has an alarm system?

You can get the equivalent of a factory fit one from Fiat themselves for about £130 but if you needed it fitted this would be extra.

yup its listed in the fiat accessories brochure and should be relatively easy to install (they say its just plug and play)

yup its listed in the fiat accessories brochure and should be relatively easy to install (they say its just plug and play)

Now you of all people James should know not to rely on a FIAT sales brochure.;)

The reports were that although the brochure descibed it as simple to install, it isn't simple at all... I remember it took someone more than a day to half install one, and it was finished off by someone else.
Best to get a professional in...

If you take your time and work out where everything goes before you start, half day tops. Most of the connections are actually taps rather than plug and play but if you decode colours etc first it's not a problem.

In fact the most difficult thing is deciding where to mount the siren/control box as the mount specified in the instructions isn't on current model Pandas.

Immobiliser as standard. No alarm. I did not know there was any kind of law, but most cars come with immobilisers now.

I just told the insurer it was factory fitted standard and they were happy. Your insurer sounds difficult. Do you live somewhere extra dodgy? Have a history of 'losing' cars? Try another insurer IMO.

No I live in a small village in Cheshire with like zero crime and this is my first car.
I have already bought the car insurance for £700 off Marks & Spencers.
I have had the insurance for a few weeks now but I got a letter asking me to send proof of my in car security system IE a certificate of installation or a letter off the dealer detailing the security system. Or I could pay £35 and I could take my Panda to an inspection centre and they could tell me if it was up to spec or if it wasn't install a suitable one for me. My panda does have an Imob as it came as standard but it has no alarm. So I will have to buy one now which is a massive pain. I hate insurance companies!!

Thanks for the advice people!

Jeez that's ridiculous mate - charging you £700 AND demanding to see a certificate proving the fitting of an alarm.

Sounds a 'bit cake and eat it' to me.

They should have quoted you on the car as it comes standard - ie. with immobiliser. Although M&S would probably want a certificate from FIAT for that to happen I guess.:rolleyes:

Get a better quote from someone else and then do what we all do with M&S products - take it back and get a refund.;)

Back