Technical Panda multijet oil leak help

Currently reading:
Technical Panda multijet oil leak help

farmer.palmer

I've had a 2010 1.2 panda for the last three years and covered 40, 000 miles in that time. I recently invested in a 2010 multijet panda in the same colour (not by design, it just happened to be local to me).
The multijet has covered 82, 000 miles and seems ok apart from a tiny oil leal which I'd like to sort out. Pictures of where I think the oil is coming from are below.
Is this common? Has anyone got experience of removing the fuel pump?

IMG_1005jw.jpg

The oil seems to becoming from the bottom of the fuel pump (circled red) See the next picture below

IMG_1002 jw.jpg

Anybody have experience of this, or any wise comments before I take it apart and realise I am way past my abilities?

IMG_1006.jpg

Also is this a DPF or simply a catalyst? It's a 'blue J' multijet (75hp) and I thought these didn't come with a DPF until later?

Thanks in advance
James

Check the turbo. If it’s a wastegate then it’s a 70bhp. I’m not sure 75 was made without a DPF.

Mine leaked at the same area. But if was diesel not engine oil.

It turned out to be an O ring in a pump cylinder head. I fitted a new seals and O rings set but the same leak persisted. I gave up. I got a new pump from a Lithuanian company for £140 as the delivery on a rebuild pump was weeks away. A part exchange pump is about £150. There’s a thread on it somewhere.

The pump uses an O ring seal and is easy to remove but the vacuum pump has to come off first. (Thanks Fiat). Getting the diesel pump on again is a nightmare of fiddling around but it will eventually line up.

Check the turbo. If it’s a wastegate then it’s a 70bhp. I’m not sure 75 was made without a DPF.

Mine leaked at the same area. But if was diesel not engine oil.

It turned out to be an O ring in a pump cylinder head. I fitted a new seals and O rings set but the same leak persisted. I gave up. I got a new pump from a Lithuanian company for £140 as the delivery on a rebuild pump was weeks away. A part exchange pump is about £150. There’s a thread on it somewhere.

The pump uses an O ring seal and is easy to remove but the vacuum pump has to come off first. (Thanks Fiat). Getting the diesel pump on again is a nightmare of fiddling around but it will eventually line up.
Thanks for the reply @DaveMcT
So perhaps it's just the 'o' ring where the HP fuel pump joins the cylinder head. I assume this doesn't have to be 'timed' when refitting?
Is this the thread you were referring to?

If it's the fuel pump that needs replacing I have the other panda to use so its not urgent, any recommendations for an exchange part?
Thanks
James

It's sealed to the engine with an O-ring. It's a struggle to fit so yours could have been damaged.

The pump is easy t check just wedge some kitchen roll paper underneath and run the engine. It will smell of fresh diesel if there are any drips.

There is no timing to worry about but the coupling wont play nice. I stuck mine in sticky red grease to keep the coupling yoke centred.

Clean it up and keep inspecting

Should be easy enough to track down

If it's desiel, check the pipes first

Then

No DPF

Last edited:
It's sealed to the engine with an O-ring. It's a struggle to fit so yours could have been damaged.

The pump is easy t check just wedge some kitchen roll paper underneath and run the engine. It will smell of fresh diesel if there are any drips.

There is no timing to worry about but the coupling wont play nice. I stuck mine in sticky red grease to keep the coupling yoke centred.
I don't think its diesel, it doesn't smell of diesel. I have jsut watched a video on youtube whihc shows how tricky the coupling is, thanks for the heads up.

Clean it up and keep inspecting

Should be easy enough to track down

If it's desiel, check the pipes first

Then

No DPF

I was reasonably certain that wasn't a DPF so thanks for the confirmation.
I don't think the leak is diesel, cos it really doesnt smell of diesel.

I think the next step is to whip the fuel pump off and have a look at the o ring which seals the pump into the head.

I don't think the leak is diesel, cos it really doesnt smell of diesel.
Easy to check with kitchen roll under the pump to catch whatever is leaking.​
I think the next step is to whip the fuel pump off and have a look at the o ring which seals the pump into the head.
You have to remove battery box and ECU to gain access. Then remove the vac pump and finally you can get at the injection pump bolts. Release fuel rail pressure by cracking open any of the flare nuts. Vac pump has a tin gasket. You will need a good gasket compound either side. I use Loctite 518.​
This is probably the injection pump O-ring​

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Easy to check with kitchen roll under the pump to catch whatever is leaking.​

You have to remove battery box and ECU to gain access. Then remove the vac pump and finally you can get at the injection pump bolts. Release fuel rail pressure by cracking open any of the flare nuts. Vac pump has a tin gasket. You will need a good gasket compound either side. I use Loctite 518.​
This is probably the injection pump O-ring​
Thank you

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The 70 definitely has the waste gate turbo set under the manifold. I may be wrong but believe the 75 has the variable geometry turbo. Some versions put the turbo higher up presumably to make room for a bigger canister underneath. I don't know if the high turbo applies to Panda.

The 70 definitely has the waste gate turbo set under the manifold. I may be wrong but believe the 75 has the variable geometry turbo. Some versions put the turbo higher up presumably to make room for a bigger canister underneath. I don't know if the high turbo applies to Panda.
Both the 70 and 75 are identical turbos both with a wastegate and actuator,

They look identical, but operate differently

The panda never got the variable geometry

Bit of an update;

Did the oil seal on the fuel pump , was very easy and straightforward. Pump slipped back into the dog drive beautifully. I have cleaned all the old oil away so will soon see if it continues to leak.

I also had the car remapped yesterday to around 95HP. The mid-range is wonderful, puts a :) every time I drive it. Wonderful.

Back