General Panda engine dies intermittently/won't start

Currently reading:
General Panda engine dies intermittently/won't start

Beancounter said:
What does the vacuum advance unit actually do? :confused:
I had thought that it opened the fuel valve when the engine is running so that you don't end up witha flooded carb... that's what it does on my honda... for example.

I had forgotten to turn the petrol tap onto on after winter and rode of to the mechanics with a document he needed for the merc... i emptied the carb of fuel completely... which is bad, as you can't start the bike. the engine needs to be ruunning to allow fuel to flow... normally you have fuel in the carb to get things started.

to get petrol back to the carb I had to suck on the tube that leads to the tank from the carb, which would have a vacuum in it normally created by the carb. 15 seconds later I could then try starting it. so that is one version of the vacuum advance

Okay, an update on the work - got the old vacuum advance thingy off, now having a nightmare trying to get the new one clipped on.

Any hints or tips please? We've left the distributor in place - should we have taken it off?

:bang: :cry: :eek:

It should be an extremely easy job; what problems are you experiencing ( dreadful grammar, I apologise).
There is no reason to remove the dis.
:confused:

pandafan said:
It should be an extremely easy job; what problems are you experiencing ( dreadful grammar, I apologise).
There is no reason to remove the dis.
:confused:

e505jpy said:
Are you haveing trouble clipping the arm in or is it trying to get the bottom screw in?

Jim

The main problem so far is clipping the arm on - tis a right bugger! :bang:

I'm sure the bottom screw will come back to haunt us too :eek:

Steve said:
Use a small electrical screwdriver to help clip it in, to poke with if you know what I mean.

I think I follow you :chin: So basically I have to fit the VAU almost flush with the distributor and then get a screwdriver through in between them and push the clip on to the ball joint?

Steve said:
Exactly. Fiddly, but once you've done it you'll see it's fairly easy.

Kewl, I'll have a go later :D

Incidentally, tried sucking on the old one and got no resistance so I guess it was truly trashed :yuck:

Hello folks :D

I finally managed to get the vacuum unit attached to the ball stud located in the distributor. Unfortunately the car still won't start. The vacuum unit is only being attached by the screw at the top as I lost the bottom screw - could this be causing/exacerbating the problem?

The plugs look in good condition, fuel pump is working fine, battery was fully charged.....

The starter motor kicks in, but nothing else :bang:

Any ideas please?:)

Ok, check the obvious things first.

Did you remember to put the rotor arm back in the distributor? It's easy to forget and get non starting problems!

If it is an electronic distributor, did you connect it back into the wiring loom?

If it uses contact breakers, make sure you didn't disturb the contact breaker wires when fitting the vacuum unit.

The missing screw shouldn't be too much of a problem for now as long as the vacuum unit isn't loose. But replace it asap.

Check for a spark by removing a spark plug, connect it to the plug lead and earth it on the engine block while the engine is turned over with the ignition on. If you haven't done this before, read a workshop manual to learn the safety precautions before trying this.

Are you getting any signs of life at all? Any 'coughing' or spluttering? If the engine refuses to fire at all, then I'd double check the ignition side before anything else.

Hope you get it sorted!

Sounds like you have a traditional ignition system on the motor? i.e. Points in the dizzy, etc? If so sounds very much like a faulty condensor.

1986Uno45S said:
Ok, check the obvious things first.

Did you remember to put the rotor arm back in the distributor? It's easy to forget and get non starting problems!

Rotor arm? Wassat? :confused: I didn't take anything off of/out of the dizzy (except for the dizzy cap so I could get a better view) :)

1986Uno45S said:
If it is an electronic distributor, did you connect it back into the wiring loom?

N/a

1986Uno45S said:
If it uses contact breakers, make sure you didn't disturb the contact breaker wires when fitting the vacuum unit.

I don't remember displacing any of the contact breakers, though I may have inadvertently done this :cry:

1986Uno45S Check for a spark by removing a spark plug said:
Will do, though the plugs look to be in good nick :(

1986Uno45S said:
Are you getting any signs of life at all? Any 'coughing' or spluttering? If the engine refuses to fire at all, then I'd double check the ignition side before anything else.

Starter motor only. You get the feeling that the engine is trying to burst into life, but nothing else.

pyrogaz said:
Sounds like you have a traditional ignition system on the motor? i.e. Points in the dizzy, etc? If so sounds very much like a faulty condensor.

Thanks mate. What does the condensor do? :)

christopher watson said:

Cheers :)

wotnowarninglight said:
Would put money on either hairline crack in the dizzy cap or possibly core of plug leads breaking down (go brittle with age)

I'd hope not, the dizzy cap was replaced three weeks ago and the HT leads two weeks before that :(

On to eBay now for some condensors I guess :)

Thanks for reading folks, fingers crossed I won't have to pick your brains much longer :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back