Technical Panda Cross brake judder unresolved.

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Cross brake judder unresolved.

mikerf

Hi all.

Anyone able to offer advice on this please?

I've had brake pedal judder on my 15 plate Panda Cross for some time now. Work and other issues prevented me from trying to resolve the problem for some time. I figured the issue was down to a distorted disk so I eventually got around to swapping them over for new along with new pads. Sadly, this hasn't cured the problem at all. The brake pedal still pulses progressively as the car slows. I splashed out on a dial gauge and checked both front disks and saw no noticeable distortion on either wheel. Both were within tolerance. However, it is difficult to turn the disk/hub to check with the driveshafts still attached.

I have seen mention that the ABS sensor ring may be an issue but would that cause the pulsing of the pedal to slow as the car slows?

I have still to change the rears but wouldn't have thought they would have such a noticeable influence on the pedal?

Anyone have any suggestions as to where the problem might be? My next guess would have been a distorted hub but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

Its a Cross. Does this mean it has discs on the rear? If so, they do less work, and are prone to rusting, which can cause thickness variation. Drums can also cause this, but this is rare. Rear brakes can have a significant effect on the pedal, despite them doing less work during stopping.
I recently replaced all four discs on the Fabia. All were looking horrid, but it was the rears that were causing the judder.

You ask if the ABS ring slows under braking: yes it does as it rotates at the same rate as the wheel. The ‘pulses’ sent from that ring to the ABS controller will be undetectably quick, as there are so many teeth on the ring, but so far as I know the pulses you feel through the pedal when ABS operates are pretty constant as they are provided by the ABS pump. Worth checking the rear discs. However, if you plan to replace the rears, search this forum first as they are not easy to do.

Thanks guys.
Panda Cross, yes rear disks.

I'm in the process of changing the rears (for the second time so I know what a pita the job is).

Once changed, hopefully the judder might be gone.

I'll advise.

Thanks guys.
Panda Cross, yes rear disks.

I'm in the process of changing the rears (for the second time so I know what a pita the job is).

Once changed, hopefully the judder might be gone.

I'll advise.
If your brakes pan out ok, and you still have the issue.
Also check your complete stearing for wear in bushes; control arms, droplinks anti rollbar etc, also a broken spring could cause this epecially if just a small part of it is missing, check suspension top mounts, and engine mounts; as excess movement can vibrate throughout and you will pick it up on the pedal and possibly steering wheel.

Back