Technical Panda 999cc spi engine sluggish 1994

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 999cc spi engine sluggish 1994

Hi guys....just getting to grips with my old panda.changed a leaking sump and cam seal.new timing belt kit.car starts and runs ok but seems to be hesitating a bit sometimes accelerating..I've heard the spi system can be a bit rubbish....car has had new plugs etc old plugs were a nice colour...I've been told to try changing lambda sensor and water manifold sensor .any ideas guys?

check for a vacuum leak on the thin pipe going to the MAP sensor (left side of the engine bay has a 3 pin wire connector). the rubber elbows like to split. the pipe can also chafe and get a hole in it.
caused one of mine with the 1242cc FIRE to be a bit slow.
a dirty fuel filter can also cause it to be fine ticking over but not great on load.
... and a crank position sensor can also cause issues.. make sure it has no iron filings stuck to it.
also i dont think it matters that much but make sure the crank pully for the alternator belt is on in the correct orientation.. yes i know it can be bolted on many ways, but it does have a little locating dimple it is meant to sit in before being bolted up. dont bother undoing the alternator to slacken the belt, you dont need to.. just take the pulley off. i cant remember the last time i slackened the belt on a panda heh just so much more easy to take the 13mm bolts out of the pulley.

Last edited:
check for a vacuum leak on the thin pipe going to the MAP sensor (left side of the engine bay has a 3 pin wire connector). the rubber elbows like to split. the pipe can also chafe and get a hole in it.
caused one of mine with the 1242cc FIRE to be a bit slow.
a dirty fuel filter can also cause it to be fine ticking over but not great on load.
... and a crank position sensor can also cause issues.. make sure it has no iron filings stuck to it.
also i dont think it matters that much but make sure the crank pully for the alternator belt is on in the correct orientation.. yes i know it can be bolted on many ways, but it does have a little locating dimple it is meant to sit in before being bolted up. dont bother undoing the alternator to slacken the belt, you dont need to.. just take the pulley off. i cant remember the last time i slackened the belt on a panda heh just so much more easy to take the 13mm bolts out of the pulley.
Yeah just ordered a fuel filter I'll check those pipes also.there was a little crack on a carb pipe I sealed that.pully is in ok I've checked that .I'll.look at the pipes to map.sensor.failing that I'll try changing lambda and temp sensor .Maybe lambda is a little slow

I take it it will drive better without it if it's faulty?been running some injector cleaner new fuel and caning it.think old fuel had been in a few months seems a bit better now.fitted rpm dial too...take lead of pin 1 on ecu.

Attachments

• IMG-20221006-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221006-WA0002.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Back