Technical Panda 4x4 front left axle shaft is dislocating from the differential

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 front left axle shaft is dislocating from the differential

albrun9

Hello, i got an issue with my panda 4x4, when im driving and making a hard turn it happens that the left axle shaft kinda get of the diff then immediatly comming back. I changed both axle shaft, the suspension ball joint, the steering ball joint and the problem is still there. Do anyone have a clue of the reason why its doing this? Thank you for your answers :)

Hello, i got an issue with my panda 4x4, when im driving and making a hard turn it happens that the left axle shaft kinda get of the diff then immediatly comming back. I changed both axle shaft, the suspension ball joint, the steering ball joint and the problem is still there. Do anyone have a clue of the reason why its doing this? Thank you for your answers :)
According to the photo I just saw there should be a retaining circlip on the inner end to hold it in the diff, unless it is missing or broken?
I assume you haven't raised the suspension as that can cause extra pull on the shafts due to the angle they are having to run at being outside manufacturers specifications.

Of course i didn't raised the suspension but when i dissasembled the old drive shaft i didn't have to remove a circplip i checked on the fiat eper and i think you are talking about the circplip that is maintaining the tripod on the shaft (number 2 here). If you are talking about somthing else please tell me or show me a photo of what to check i really want to make this car drive !

2740200001.png

The reason I mentioned "raised " suspension is that though now retired, in over fifty years of working in the motor trade I have seen many cases of vehicles with the issue you have, being caused by just that. I understand that there are lift kits of available to do just that and indeed only a month or so ago there was a forum member from a wine growing region who was talking about it..
However, as that is not the case and I assume there is no signs of previous accident damage causing misalignment of the suspension etc. then I would suggest you recheck the "tripods" and bearings on the inner end of the shafts where they go into the diff and make sure there is no debris/broken old bearings etc. and it is correctly assembled, as that is also something I have seen which may cause your problem.
By the way the circlips previously mentioned should be at No.2 on your photo and on both inner tripods assemblies to secure the tripods to the drive shafts.

Bugsymike's description of a circlip refers to the normal situation found on most vehicles today. This does to apply to the classic Panda.
Your pic took me back to my time with classic Pandas, only FWD, but the front shafts are the same. The inner joint is held into the diff, mostly by the limited suspension movement, being designed not to pull the shaft out, even on full stretch, and also held, lightly, by the gaiter. An unusual system, with the gaiter being fixed, and incorporating a seal for the rotating shaft. The shorter shaft, on the left, I think, tends to wear those seals out quite quickly.
In normal use, the shaft should not be able to come out of the diff. The outer half of the tripod joint, inside the gearbox, shuld be long enough to cope with the full axle movement. If the shaft is coming out, it is moving further than expected. As this is not a new vehicle, we need to determine what is now different than it was before. Why is the wheel moving more up/down than intended. You will need to look carefully at the suspension mounting points, and components, to determine what is different. History is important, as you will know what has been changed, and how long ago, or what has changed with respect to use of the vehicle, the roads, etc., that might be highlighting excess axle movement.
Just a few thoughts.
Has the engine moved? Are its mountings sagging, or just been replaced?
Has it recently had new shocks that allow greater movement?
Is the lower tie rod allowing greater movement?

Thanks for your replies! To answer your questions i changed the motor mounts but the problem was there before, the shocks seems to be oem ones and look like kinda old. But i wanted to change the suspension arm (see the photos) and i couldn't because of a bolt that is impossible to unscrew. Could this suspension arm wich silentbloc is totally worned out be the source of the problem? Im going to change it by cutting the bolt in the next weeks.
1684754498353.png
1684754519358.png

If the rubber bush is very worn, it will allow more movement than designed. There will not be much extra movement available at the inner shaft joint, so it is possible that this will cause the joint to pop out. As this seems to be the only part of the suspension that is not standard, this is most likely to be the cause of the issue. I'd suggest you do not drive the car until fixed.

The bushes, item 8 in the pic, should also be in good condition. Easy to check and replace.

Okay thanks for those advice i think the 8 bushing might need to be replace so i will replace them also and hope it will solve the problem.

Back