Technical Panda 4x4 Cross Tire Question...sorry

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 Cross Tire Question...sorry

We had a set of these https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/vredestein-quatrac-175-65-r15-84-h#324704603 fitted yesterday on our 2014 Trekking replacing the original Continental Cross Climates. First impressions are good, better grip and much less noise. They have the M+S and mountain symbol same as the Contis so it will be interesting to see how they perform long term.

The Quatrac's have been a long time popular tyre on these pages, similar in overall performance to the Goodyear 4Seasons Vector (now in Gen-3 guise), the Michelin Cross Climate and Conti AllSeasonContact. New tyres always feel better than older ones - not least due to the quieter running on account of deeper tread- depth over the old set - but I am not surprised that you like the feel of the Vredesteins, as they are very good tyres.

I have this time tried running a full winter tyre all year round in the Conti WinterContact TS860P. Light(ish) cars like the Panda are far easier on tyres with more flexible blocks than big, heavy ones and I have now run them for about 16 months and 11,000 miles and they are wearing surprisingly well. The wet and cold weather grip is exceptional, as you would expect and the VERY brief foray into the hills on the one snowy day we had here in the South last year proved that there's a reason that they won a lot of the Winter Tyre Tests last year. Sure they move around a little in the hot weather when pushing on, but nothing untoward to be honest. I have a much heavier car in the garage but that needs its winter wheels/tyres fitted only in winter, as they really do feel out of their depth if the climate warms up too much before I get round to switching them over.

Why does "no one on the forum drive like you" :confused:

As doubt everyone else drives foot to floor and makes most of extra grip. Full winter tyres compared to all season Continental from standard that were over year old design in 2012. I've had third of mileage from Goodyears. Now on Dunlop's.

Last edited:
As doubt everyone else drives foot to floor and makes most of extra grip. Full winter tyres compared to all season Continental from standard that were over year old design in 2012. I've had third of mileage from Goodyears. Now on Dunlop's.

The OEM CrossContact Continentals are Winter tyres, not all-season?

To be honest, I find the Continentals to be excellent in the wintery conditions and perfectly adequate in summer. They wear well (My last set were 30k miles and still perfectly legal) and while possibly a touch noisier than summer tyres, aren’t overly rowdy. I was so impressed I fitted another full set. The only real downside is that availability can be patchy and they’re comparatively toward the pricey end of the spectrum (but compared to bigger fitments and given their longevity, this is negligible). Undoubtedly, there are more dedicated winter boots from Nokian and the like, but I’ve been impressed by the original figment Continentals.

Last edited:
Difficult to run out of talent keeping to speed limit. Not found limit in the Panda anyway.

Fitted some goodyear vectors in 185/65 15, they feel great. Bit quieter, absorbs bumps better and lengthens first gear a surprising amount. The Goodyears were £72 fitted which seemed pretty reasonable.

I'd be tempted to try the Quatracs next, hopefully in 30,000 miles time!

Update on the new Quatracs. My wife has driven to and from work every day since fitting about 25 miles each way. The weather has been pretty awful but she says the Panda seems much more planted and no longer scary in the wet. They also performed well in the snow with plenty of grip and control. Just need some dry weather to see what they are like. Interestingly all the UK suppliers only seem to have the old Quatrac 5 listed, so if you are ordering them just make sure you get the new tyre which is just plain Quatrac.

Hi folks, I don't have a 4x4 but my wee 500 is just as good in all weather as my Panda (also non 4x4) before it. I was intrduced to Uniroyal (The rain tyre) way back in the late 70's when my older brother sold me a Mini which he had just replaced the 4 tyres with Uniroyal Rally 180's as he swore by them.
Those tyres were amazing in the wet which was a good thing, cause when it's not snowing here in "Bonnie Scotland",.it's normally pi$$ing it down with rain. Those tyres were amazing and as well as getting a good amount of milage from them , I also never suffered from getting stuck in any Snow either. Since that first experience with Uniroyals, I have fitted them to "Almost" every car I have owned. I know they also do an all seasons tyre as well but I've always been happy enough with the Normal Rainsport series because of the amount of water I drive through each year due to the amount of rain we get. However, If I ever decided to go for a 4x4 perhaps I'd try out their All Seasons Range.

I have a 2020 Cross 4x4 and a quick way to find out what off set you have is to hold a piece of paper behind the alloy spoke ( I forget if it is 1st left or right of the valve)and then rub over the raised writing with your finger ...like a brass rubbing. Mine was ET30 even though it came with 175 tires, so fitting 185 tires would not be a problem.

... the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons that were fitted to my Cross from new performed very well, apart from squealing in roundabouts at relatively low speeds, and lasted for over 40k miles. They were excellent in the snow. I replaced them with Michelin CrossClimates, which are quieter, and subjectively better (firmer and gripper) in the dry, but aren't wearing quite as well as the Goodyears. Both are excellent tyres imho (with the caveat that I haven't yet had the opportunity to test the Michelins in the snow).

Can now confirm, after my Wee Yellow Beastie effortlessly snow-ploughed its way through up to 14" of the white stuff last week, that the CrossClimates are bloody brilliant in the snow, too! (y)

Can now confirm, after my Wee Yellow Beastie effortlessly snow-ploughed its way through up to 14" of the white stuff last week, that the CrossClimates are bloody brilliant in the snow, too! (y)

Now then. That presents a dilemma. My (non Cross) 4x4 has covered 28000 miles in past 2.5 years (less recently of course). Its still on the original trees - Continental CrossClimate Winters , 175/65 R15. The rear tyres (which were the fronts until I swapped them round recently) have 3-4mm tread (OK for normal use, but as snow tyres they recommend that they lose the snow part of the tread at 4m) and the fronts (ex rears) about 5-6mm. But one of the fronts has a slice in the sidewall which I'm not over worried about but an MOT tester (at end May) might be. I've been looking at CrossClimates and Vector 4 Seasons. Right now, I can get the Vectors at Costco for £57 each, plus £7 each fitting (inc VAT) -- and then get £40 off for buying four at once. That makes them much cheaper than the CrossClimate. What to do... No rush as tread 'OK', but will not leave too much longer.

Last edited:
All four corners for £216 is a steal! The Goodyears are also great - just more prone to squealing on roundabouts etc - and in my experience, they are slower-wearing than the Michelins. I'd have gone for the same again, but I got a better deal on the Michelins. (Also, I wonder if the Goodyears might be less prone to squealing as 175s, rather than the 185s on mine?)

Our 2019 cross came with 175 goodyear summer tyres we have fitted 185/65/15 falken as210s no issues with clearance even off road.

Our 2019 cross came with 175 goodyear summer tyres we have fitted 185/65/15 falken as210s no issues with clearance even off road.
I assume a 4x4 Cross... in which case, although now supplied with the 'summer tyres' it still uses the same wheels the all-seasons used to be fitted to (still the ET30 offset) so yes, 185's will fit.

Back