Technical Panda 1.1 head gasket problems

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 1.1 head gasket problems

Tablets22

Hello,
First of all I’d like to thank all of you for the very useful info on this forum.
The radiator on my 2007 Panda failed, I replaced it things have gotten worse since then.
The engine overheated, temp warning light came on gauge went into the red.
I ended up replacing the water pump, thermostat and the engine temp sensor.
I used a gas analyser to check the head gasket it indicated no problem. I.E the fluid didn’t change colour.
Despite the result I decided to renew the gasket anyway. The car had done 114000 miles and as I had it in bits anyway I thought why not.
I used a crack test kit on the head prior to fitting the new gasket which showed no problem.
I’ve just run the engine up to temp, it holds steadily in the middle of the temp gauge, I’ve bled the coolant system correctly.
The top radiator hose wasn’t uniformly hot so I loosened the jubilee and pulled the hose free until coolant came out.
The hot air from the heater immediately became hotter.
However the coolant level in the radiator started to blow out of the expansion tank.
I just don’t understand what’s going on. There’s no gurgling or air bubbles in the coolant and I did fill the system correctly.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks Keith

Hi Keith :)

I did my HG twice in 6weeks.. so got the bleeding sorted

I will try and link to relevant threads

Charlie

Thanks for the replies lads, the expansion tank is on the side of the rad, the hose was cooler at the radiator end.

that’s good

The expansion tank on the side of the radiator normally bleed fine as long as you fill them slowly

I just undo the bleed screw on top of the heater hose. Put a bowl on top of the airbox. And start it syphon if via a small aquarium tube.

Go in the house and but my feet up with a cup of coffee check on it every now again.

Once it’s over flowing from the bleed screw. Close it and keep filling till it’s at the top of the fill neck. Start the engine until it’s up to temperature and the thermostat opens keeping the coolant near the top of the neck. You will need to empty a bit out before putting the cap on. It needs space to expand.

I just done mine this way. 1.2 2010 with the expansion tank on the radiator. It settled about an half an inch below the max mark and has stayed there for the last few weeks

I struggled to bleed our 1.2 after I replaced the steel water pump pipe. In the end, I happened to have a 2ft length of heater hose that just fitted over the heater bleed screw. I removed the screw, pushed on the hose and filled it to the brim. Squeezing the heater and radiator hoses caused some gurgling and that solved the problem of air getting sucked back via the bleed screw.

It's very odd because changing the timing belt and water pump caused no problems with coolant bleeding.

Back