Technical Panda 1.1 active overheating, coolant level drops and rises drastically.

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 1.1 active overheating, coolant level drops and rises drastically.

nonamenoface

Hi, I'm new here... so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

Here's the short version of my problem.

I've a 2009 panda 1.1 active and something weird is happening with my cooling system. Air would get into the system causing it to overheat, there is no visible leak according to two mechanics. A mechanic suggested there could be a leak but the coolant is evaporating instantly so nothing ends up on the ground. What are your thoughts on this?

The coolant level will drop about 4-6 inches (after driving 15mins) but when engine is turned off the the coolant level will slowly rise back up (not back to it's original level, just about 2-3 inches below the original level). Any thoughts of why this is happening?

Other information that may be useful:
-one of the mechanics had a quick look at at the oil and it was fine (so hopefully no blown head gasket)
-after having the air bled a 2nd time. On the passenger side, you can hear sloshing water sound every time I press the gas (is this just trapped air?)

What I'm worried about is the fact that nobody can diagnose the problem, I have booked in for a compression test next week.

I thought it would be a good idea posting here to see if anyone else experienced something similar.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

The full story

I've got a 2009 panda 1.1 active eco about six months ago with 25000 miles. Got a MOT straight away, it passed. The dealer paid for this and I would find out later on the guy who did the MOT test half assed it because two tires were below the minimum limit. Not 100% sure checking the coolant level is apart of a MOT but it's clear he didn't look as I will find out later on...

So here's where the mess up happens, as someone who just passed my test and got my first car, I didn't know anything about cars. I ended up driving back to uni (over 100 miles)With the temperature gauge light on (overheated engine) I didn't have any problems with it at all it drove fine.

Took it to a garage he had a quick look said it looked low on coolant so he just topped up with water. Came back later for antifreeze.

Everything was fine for about a month and then the engine started overheating, So took to another garage, they thought there could possibly be a leak but couldn't find a leak. However, there was air trapped in the system so they bled it and filled it up with antifreeze.

Everything was fine for 2 months but one day I notice the temperature gauge took longer than usual to start warming up and it didn't over heat but the needle did go above normal operating temperature. So took it back they thought there was air trapped in the system again so they bled it again. I don't know if they emptied some of the coolant will bleeding the system and didn't fill it up again because when I looked, it was below the min level.

When to a new garage I asked them to bleed the system and put some antifreeze in it. They also couldn't find any leaks.

Finally, here's when we are up to... I took it out to test if everything with ok and I noticed the coolant level was dropping the more a drove about 4-6 inches but when turned off the engine the coolant level will slowly rise back up (not back to it's original level, just about 2-3 inches below the original level).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I should do about this.

Thank you for reading, I'll be grateful for any help.

Anne

From cold start the engine for about 20 seconds. Switch off and remove the coolant cap

Does it smell of petrol.

Put the cap back on. Switch the engine on. Do the hoses go very hard.

If the answer is no to both then it's Lilkly to be the thermostat or leak.

Back