Pale_green_4x4_Panda.jpg

Panda (Classic) Pale green Classic Panda 4x4 (1986).

Introduction

Just acquired this lovely 4x4. :)

Traded in by Gavin (Palio) against the project Panda I'm currently building for him. Gavin bought it back in February from Dave (Aquamarine) but has not used it since. Fortunately for me Gavin stored it at a friends house many miles from his own so didn't form an attachment to it.

Dave had done quite a bit of work to it before selling it on to Gavin, and as a result it's in lovely condition ( ignoring paintwork issues here :p ), even has new doors. Dave, perhaps you could fill in more details for us?

This is my only pic so far but will add more asap........

I really like the pale green colour so will be keeping this original but improve the finish in places. This will be an easy task as Dave has done a great job removing what little rust was there. As far as I can tell the doors and back of the inner sills were the only rusty areas on an otherwise solid and straight Panda. This is impressive given it's an early Mk2 (1986).

Mileage is a very low 58,000, this is reflected in the condition of the interior and mechanics. I haven't driven it yet but Gavin and Barbara have and they assure me it is a real pleasure, with a strong engine and a tight and quiet gearbox. :)

With the plans for Barbara's own Panda recently changing I find myself with some nice upgrades looking for a home. The beige Alfa interior would look stunning with the green paintwork so I'm very tempted to fit it. Then there's wheels. I have half a dozen options here, including leaving the current ones on, so think I will just have to try them all and see what looks best. Other than that the rest will stay as it is.

It looks like we'll be bringing it to the Thoresby meet rather than put Barbara's 4x4 back together with it's original parts only to take it all apart again when we get back.
Reactions: Vaam
So one goldfish says to the other goldfish "you drive and I'll fire the gun"

(Surreal that is y'know)

A joke to celebrate the birthday of Salvador Dali, today: :worship:

Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Fish.

Have a surreally splendid Sunday! :D

They are 145 80 13's fitted to some after market steel wheels. The offset is less than the standard Panda wheels so they come nicely to the edge of the front arches. I left the 16mm spacers I use with the alloys on the back so they fill the rear arches nicely too.

So now we are all ready to spend the day trying not to get shot on the Salisbury plain. :eek:

Those aftermarket steelies look superb. The lower offset gives the whole car a chunkier look. Where did you get them from?

Well Barbara and I had a fantastic day on Salisbury Plain today! :D

Tom did a brilliant job leading us around in his Freelander. We arrived at 9.00am along with Nick and Kam in a new Panda twinair 4x4 and, apart from a lunch break or two, were offroading till 5.00pm.

Oslo was brilliant, only drowning out once despite going through water many times, and never getting stuck. :worship:

When the electrics did get a little too wet it was a simple matter to dry them off with some tissue followed by a squirt of WD40 to get him running again. While we were at it we checked inside the air filter, there was a little water in there and the element was soaked but it wasn't enough to give problems. Fortunately I had removed the rubber hose that goes from behind the bumper to the air filter shortly before our swim otherwise it could have been a different story. I now understand completely the wisdom of having a snorkel. Later on I re-fitted the rubber hose but had it running up to the top of the o/s suspension strut.

Traction was never an issue, when I did once come to a halt in mud that was way too deep I was able to reverse out under my own power. :)

This is something I would definitely do again and recommend to anyone else with a 4x4. We were able to stay in 2wd much of the time but there were parts that only a 4x4 would manage, not just because of the 4wd but also the extra suspension height they have.

Some of these pics are posted elsewhere but here are all I have uploaded so far. I'll go through the rest at some point to see if any more are worth adding.

Well Barbara and I had a fantastic day on Salisbury Plain today! :D

So jealous... -- but I think my off-roading days are over.... :cry:

I will never cease to be amazed at the capabilities of 4x4 Pandas, though... -- although I've still to check on Betty: to make sure that's not her in the photos, just with chunky tyres on.... ;)

What a star Oslo is...! Well driven! :worship:

So jealous... -- but I think my off-roading days are over.... :cry:

I will never cease to be amazed at the capabilities of 4x4 Pandas, though... -- although I've still to check on Betty: to make sure that's not her in the photos, just with chunky tyres on.... ;)

What a star Oslo is...! Well driven! :worship:

You're welcome as a passenger any time Stephen. (y)

I'm very disapointed Vern.....that mk4 has far more mud on it from what I can see, or did it just get more stuck :confused: :p

The mud dried to the same colour as Oslo so it's not so obvious that he is totally covered! :p Nick did get stuck once and had to be towed out backwards, the ground clearance was a couple of inches less than Oslo's so at a point where the ruts got too deep for him he was left beached on his belly. Considering he was also running on the standard M&S tyres only getting stuck once was a great achievement :worship:

Andypanda4x4, the Freelander had new tyres and a 40mm lift so did a little better than you may have expected. He did slither around a little more than Oslo in a couple of places where his extra weight did him no favours, other than that he had no trouble.
I'd love to set up another day out with Tom at some point so you must make sure you can get down here to join in, many times yesterday I thought 'Andy would love this!'

Back