Pale_green_4x4_Panda.jpg

Panda (Classic) Pale green Classic Panda 4x4 (1986).

Introduction

Just acquired this lovely 4x4. :)

Traded in by Gavin (Palio) against the project Panda I'm currently building for him. Gavin bought it back in February from Dave (Aquamarine) but has not used it since. Fortunately for me Gavin stored it at a friends house many miles from his own so didn't form an attachment to it.

Dave had done quite a bit of work to it before selling it on to Gavin, and as a result it's in lovely condition ( ignoring paintwork issues here :p ), even has new doors. Dave, perhaps you could fill in more details for us?

This is my only pic so far but will add more asap........

I really like the pale green colour so will be keeping this original but improve the finish in places. This will be an easy task as Dave has done a great job removing what little rust was there. As far as I can tell the doors and back of the inner sills were the only rusty areas on an otherwise solid and straight Panda. This is impressive given it's an early Mk2 (1986).

Mileage is a very low 58,000, this is reflected in the condition of the interior and mechanics. I haven't driven it yet but Gavin and Barbara have and they assure me it is a real pleasure, with a strong engine and a tight and quiet gearbox. :)

With the plans for Barbara's own Panda recently changing I find myself with some nice upgrades looking for a home. The beige Alfa interior would look stunning with the green paintwork so I'm very tempted to fit it. Then there's wheels. I have half a dozen options here, including leaving the current ones on, so think I will just have to try them all and see what looks best. Other than that the rest will stay as it is.

It looks like we'll be bringing it to the Thoresby meet rather than put Barbara's 4x4 back together with it's original parts only to take it all apart again when we get back.
Reactions: Vaam
Well Oslo's been really busy recently, offroading in North Yorkshire, towing Bucket back and forth to Birmingham, and any other long trip or load lugging we've needed to do. On the way back from North Yorkshire I was thinking that I really should give him a service to make sure he's able to continue without trouble, it would be a real problem if he were to break down. Maybe even upgrade him a little at some point, then he would not only be reliable but could carry out his tasks with even greater ease! :)

Well last Thursday a window of opportunity appeared due to the planned work not being possible for whatever reason, so, both Alan and I set to and polished off a small list of jobs on him.

First up was the clutch cable, he's had two in the last three months and the pedal was now stiffening up yet again :bang: On inspection I found the inner plastic was worn away.........

There must be a problem with the angle that the cable takes after passing through the bulkhead as the later cables have a 90' bend built in at this point. I decided to fit one of these later cables to see if they survive better. I did need to drill two 6mm holes in order to fix the new cable with nuts and bolts but that was easy enough as the head was off (more of that later ;)).

Also, I finally fitted a new heater tap as the old one was always stuck on hot. Yes that's right, I went all summer with the heater on only to fix it as Autumn begins :eek:.

Another little niggle has been poor starting, particularly when conditions have been wet. It never failed to start but would struggle at times, so I have now got new plugs, sports coil, and Magnecor plug leads. I think the coil was the main culprit as the engine would cut out immediately when you poured water on the old one. I'm happy to say that it starts straight away every time now :D

Now, about that head being off.

Well I've had this gas flowed head lying around for about three years while I waited for a reason to fit it to something. It's a 4x4 head, professionally ported, with new valves, and a 4x4 cam shimmed up and fitted. Cost someone £400 apparently but I got it with a bunch of spares.

So, off came the old head....

While we were at it we could see that the ports had been opened up to match the size of the holes in the inlet and exhaust gaskets so it seemed like a good idea to open up the manifolds to match. so by laying a gasket on the face of the manifold and spraying paint through it I could clearly see where I would have to remove metal........

Job done......

Throw in an oil and filter change and the jobs done. :D

Well not quite. I had been driving around with Yorkshire mud splashed up the sides like a badge of honour, but now was the time to get the jetwash out...

Towing Bucket to Birmingham yesterday (1 week late as we'd spotted a couple more bits to weld) was the only trip I'd managed since so was unable to gauge if the head had made any difference, but tonight on the way home, free of trailer, I was able to test it out. I don't feel that 0-60 is any different, but I really did notice better acceleration in the higher gears. Put your foot down at 50mph in fifth and it really does accelerate well. I think top speed will have been increased too, can't really measure this because it's above the legal limit :p but it certainly gets to 70 alot more easily.

I've also decided to leave the 14" Alfa alloys on him too. I like the look of them and the increased ground clearance. Bet we don't get snow this year now :(.

Last edited:
P.S. Do you want a cup of tea?

Even considering the high standards of lunacy and hilarity that pervade this section of the forum, this really takes the biscuit! (See what I did there...? Sorry.) :D

After a really cr*ppy day, this has made me chortle out loud; and I will probably still be smiling in another couple of hours. So thank you, both...! :worship:

PS: I imagine you, like Mrs h and me, sat opposite each other, across the dining table, smiling inanely into your computer screens...! ;)

Even considering the high standards of lunacy and hilarity that pervade this section of the forum, this really takes the biscuit! (See what I did there...? Sorry.) :D

After a really cr*ppy day, this has made me chortle out loud; and I will probably still be smiling in another couple of hours. So thank you, both...! :worship:

PS: I imagine you, like Mrs h and me, sat opposite each other, across the dining table, smiling inanely into your computer screens...! ;)

Sorry that you had a bad day but pleased we cheered you up! Actually we are in bed not the dining room and we are on our I phones! So that's really sad isn't it! :eek:

Just want to post this pic here as a point of reference............

Nothing to report really. Oslo just keeps soldiering on as my regular transport, collecting parts, towing other Pandas etc. I did change the oil and filter the other day but apart from that it just get used. :slayer:

Edit: Just referred back to the first post and it would appear that we have now had Oslo for twenty months and have covered 19,500m, that's an average of nearly 1000m a month. Quite a good answer to those questioning the ability of a Panda as an everyday car.

Last edited:
Just want to post this pic here as a point of reference............

Nothing to report really. Oslo just keeps soldiering on as my regular transport, collecting parts, towing other Pandas etc. I did change the oil and filter the other day but apart from that it just get used. :slayer:

Edit: Just referred back to the first post and it would appear that we have now had Oslo for twenty months and have covered 19,500m, that's an average of nearly 1000m a month. Quite a good answer to those questioning the ability of a Panda as an everyday car.

I'm glad I passed him on to you - he's heing used properly & would still be sat if I'd kept him. (y)

Gosh, 20 months :eek: That must mean Panto's been underway for longer as Oslo was a "stage payment".

Where on earth does the time go? Mum's just told me I moved into this house 7 years ago today!! I'm proud to say I've not done any decorating in 7 years therefore :cool: It does explain why I'm thinking the kitchen could do with a coat of paint though..... Oops, drifting :Offtopic:

Edit: ok that's wrong - I painted the garage door as it was red & I wanted royal blue. I suppose that means I have been decorating! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks to the Panda 2012+ section of the Forum Barbara and I are taking Oslo on an offroading trek tomorrow so I thought I'd better fit the chunky tyres as it has been raining here most of the day. It's a professionally organised trip, usually they cater for the bigger 4x4's (Landrovers etc) but some of the Mk4 gang wanted to try their Pandas out offroad so a Panda friendly day was born. Only a couple of new Pandas signed up so that left room for us! :D

While I was fitting the tyres I thought I might as well fit a couple of other upgrades that have been waiting for a while........

A cassette holding centre console joins the radio cassette player.

A pair of spot lights with funky grilles.

Twin air horns as fitted to Bo the selecta and Panto.

And the chunky tyres.

They are 145 80 13's fitted to some after market steel wheels. The offset is less than the standard Panda wheels so they come nicely to the edge of the front arches. I left the 16mm spacers I use with the alloys on the back so they fill the rear arches nicely too.

So now we are all ready to spend the day trying not to get shot on the Salisbury plain. :eek:

Last edited:
Back