0OZUEFN.jpg

Panda Our Panda 6 months on.

Introduction

Now had it about 6 months and 1100 miles, 22150 miles on the clock,
2006 Panda Multijet , it's suffered a bit from not being used, been garaged from new one owner no real rust just a little light rust on the rear spring cups rest of the axel still as paint, now covered with Waxiol.

I noticed a staggered row of plastic bungs down the length of both sills are these normal or as it had anti rust?

Needed a new battery due to not being used two rear tyres due to age cracking being 16 years old.

It also started to leak Diesel from the High pressure pump but just as I was going to do the seals it stopped and as not leaked a drop since, odd.

It also had a habit of resetting the clock and trips on start-up cured by giving the switch part of the ignition lock a good squirt of switch and contact cleaner.

You can replace just the switch bit for about £15 but not sure
which one I need as mine only as 5 wires going to it.

It could also at times be hard to start when hot, the last time it did it I decided to check the tank and could not get the fuel filler off due to vacuum, freed the anti vacuum valve in the cap and it's been fine since, it would also almost stall as you came to a stop now and then, switch cleaner and a check of the connections to the clutch switch seems to have fixed that,

It did have a lot of tyre noise but the two new tyres on the back sorted that and once up to speed you honestly cant hear the engine it's smooth and it catches me out as I tend to let the revs drop to low if not careful,

I can just hear a little turbo whine when accelerating at low speed, it's suffering form lazy car syndrome but getting better with added miles.

It replaced a 139,000 mile Clio that was noisier not as smooth but faster they seem about the same on fuel 60/70mpg non burn oil Panda has a better steering lock and seats, the Clio more storage and a rear parcel shelf that lets it's self down after it's been up I have had to get out to shove it down in the Panda many times, and the Clio had a bigger boot, Panda lights are better, and the clutch and accelerator much lighter.

It passed it's MOT with no advisory s

Will see how the next 6 months go.
Well it started up this morning did about 60 miles a mix of traffic country lanes and M-way
with several re starts, nothing no problems at all got one thing to check tomorrow then
will put it down to Italian temperament.
It does surprise me how well it goes on the M-way.

Our Becky (2010 Panda 1.2 Dynamic Eco) has always been a good starter. In the 4 - or is it 5 now? - years we've owned her she's a;ways started first, or very occasionally second, turn of the key. Ever since reading here on the forum that it's a good idea to turn the ignition on and wait for the wee padlock light to go out before operating the starter that's exactly what we've done and she starts up with a wee rush of revs as the idle control valve sorts itself out and then very quickly settles to an even tickover (slightly raised revs when the weather is really cold then settling to just under 1000 rpm as she warms) As you're waiting for the padlock light to go out you can hear the fuel pump running in the back and it usually stops (indicating the system is probably pressurized) before I operate the starter.

For the very first time she behaved differently last Saturday morning as we were starting her up to do our supermarket shop. I followed my usual procedure and she fired into life just as always with a wee rush of revs but then almost immediately she ran very rough, sounded like she was only on about two cylinders. Almost immediately she chimed in on one of those but one cylinder stayed "dropped" for a noticeable time - maybe 20 to 30 seconds - before it also chimed in. It was definitely the same cylinder missfiring as the exhaust "beat" of the missfire was even ie, not random. She ran normally for our trip to the supermarket and started absolutely normally for the journey home and never missed a single beat for the whole journey. Plenty of fuel in the tank and all fluid levels correct also she came up to normal operating temp just as usual.

She hadn't been started for a good 10 days - maybe two weeks - before this incident as we'd been using the Ibiza to visit our boy's families out south of the city. My guess would be that it's moisture somewhere on the ignition system and quite possibly the HT leads could be at fault as I've never replaced them and they look like original equipment. I'm going to go out when it's nice and dark with a blanket over the bonnet and my head to cut the street lights glare and have a look for any little sparks. I think I'll also take the leads off and give them a close inspection. Other than that I think it'll be a wait and see situation - Just drive it and let it develop sir/madam, as is so often said when you can't find the problem.

Yep I try to wait for the clocks to settle down and such, ours is a oiler so I have to wait
for the heater plugs to warm, think yours will just be a bit on condensation likely now gone
after it's run due to the 2 weeks sitting in the cold.

Our 1.2 has developed a stutter when cold but happy when warmed up. Ive not done the codes but there are no warnings so will have to do some basic diagnostics.

The Panda is taking the water again, as been running perfectly for months parked up last night
no problems, started up this morning and it cut out, re started and running erratically not enough
power to drive could only get 2000 revs in neutral, ran multiscan no codes , all warning lights out
gave the accelerator a good pressing don't know why then after a wile it decides to run but a little
jerky at lower revs but plenty power cant see or smell any leaks thinking accelerator or maybe
tdc sensor, anyone tell me were it is on a 2006 multijet? too wet here to mess to much, but just started
it up and the dam thing seems to be running perfectly.

The Panda is taking the water again, as been running perfectly for months parked up last night
no problems, started up this morning and it cut out, re started and running erratically not enough
power to drive could only get 2000 revs in neutral, ran multiscan no codes , all warning lights out
gave the accelerator a good pressing don't know why then after a wile it decides to run but a little
jerky at lower revs but plenty power cant see or smell any leaks thinking accelerator or maybe
tdc sensor, anyone tell me were it is on a 2006 multijet? too wet here to mess to much, but just started
it up and the dam thing seems to be running perfectly.
are you sure its not got the very common diesel fault of water entering the airbox ? seeing its raining.

Last edited:
That's tomorrows job having a look at the air filter it's never done it before
but that doesn't prove it didn't this time.
thanks for the reply.

Diesel filters are extremely fine mesh and will sooner or later clog solid. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Are the glow plugs working properly?

Glow plugs deff ok I did suspect the filter and the low pressure pump but
both seem ok the car as only 25000 on the clock and as had dealer services
though I have only owned it for just over a year so don't know if the filter
as been changed though it wont hurt to fit one, tomorrow looks like
a dry day so I will have a game of hunt the crank position sensor.
many thanks for the reply.

Diesel filters are extremely fine mesh and will sooner or later clog solid. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Are the glow plugs working properly?
I should have said diesel FUEL filter. If the air filter is clean there is no point in changing it. However, if the fuel filter has an uncertain history it could be worth a try.

koalar

May take the biscuit on this one after all ,the car ran fine this morning but I had a good
look and took the engine cover off, when pulling the air flow sensor a few drops of water
ran out, the filter is clean and dry but were the outlet is was wet, so the other morning there
could have been enough in to up set it, cleaned all the connectors I could reach and it's running
well, still not found the tdc sensor though I have found the cam sensor, fingers crossed.
Only other thing I did it was parked slightly down hill when it happened so it could have allowed
water to get in.
We will see how it goes.
thanks chaps.

I have now sealed the screw above the filter housing with silicone
and the back of the filter housing with gorilla tape, also drilled a small
hole in the low point of the inlet duct to the housing to drain any that
may get driven in there, if I plays up again I doubt it will be water in there.
Just off to book the MOT see how that goes.

Panda just passed the dreaded MOT today no advisory's,
all is well for another year, now as 26800 ish on the clock,
not missed a beat for the last 10 or so days.
(y)

Tyres, the Panda as new rears fitted about 2 years back due to cracking sidewalls they were
about 15 years old with about 21000 miles, now the fronts were going the same way, they were
about 11 years old with about 18 thousand on them.
So I ordered 2 Toyo Nanoenergy 3,s to match the rears, from Asda £99 the pair fitted, they give
a list of fitting stations and times, I went for Quick Lane in Fleetwood as the daughter lives nearby
and I could park the wife with her or drop her in the main St for some retail therapy but in the
end she decided to come with me, wallet sighs with relief.
This was on the 15th fitting set for the 23rd but I realised I had a prior appointment so rang
Quick Lane could I change the day, no problems do it on the 24th, and he mentioned he had
a Panda as well, get a call the next day from Dave at Quick Lane my tyres were there and did
I want a earlier appointment? I said how about 1pm tomorrow, no problem, we turn up give
them the key Dave points us at the showroom and says go get a tea or coffee, the tyre bay
was likely the cleanest I have been in and I have been in more than most, the showroom
with a small serve yourself mini café would put our local hospital to shame, Dave drives the
Panda round "think he just wanted to dive it" and all done and dusted, happy and pleasant staff,
free coffee and Dave is a forum member, what's not to like, no link to the business apart from
being a satisfied customer, Dave did put me straight about one thing, we get a lot of Panda
drivers waving at us, I thought they just recognised the car from the last owner but no it's the
Panda wave I wouldn't mind but I had a Mazda Bongo and every other Bongo driver waved
with that even had a special wave so I should have clocked on.
Happy Days

Back