OT - Bmw M5 - Young Lad

Currently reading:
OT - Bmw M5 - Young Lad

because with bike at a certain age / experiance your restricted to what you can ride... there fore you think they get a small bike when i can get a car... you can get any car you like. if there was a limit to say 1.0 50bhp or something there will still be enough power to do every day tasks but how kool would you look driving around in a 50bhp car tryin to overtake and having no chance? there for you would get less knobs over taking untill they have a few year behind them which will give them a little more experiance but for the ones who still persist to think they are in a lambo and try to over take int he slow car and have a near crash it will scare the **** out of them.

rascalsig.jpg

g5een, you said, and I quote, " lets look who rides bikes, most are 30+ mature adults "

I wonder why that is ??? Is it because the graduated system deters/prevents young kids from riding these machines ?

'nuff said.

i think its more to do with getting you and your mates in one or er ontop of one

(the previous Anon was me, BTW)

You see hundreds of kids on 50cc motors that can barely do 30, but none of the more powerful and deadly bikes. If the bike legislation keeps them off, then it can easily be applied to any other vehicle type.

lets face it when your young its all about goin out with the lads havin a laugh which usually results in 4 or 5ups going on road trips to no-where.
the car isnt just for getting to work and back or going shopping it's a private space where you and chosen friends can do what you like that is why so many young people ride in cars.

You've obviously not seen the packs of "rat boys" on scooters, 8 or 10 at a time, cutting up all and sundry of an evening then ? ;)

plus when your on a bike it's just you and no matter what your age/experience you know just how vulnerable you are on there (we've all fallen off a push bike let alone a motorbike) so straight away the whole mentally of just being on your own on a bike changes your outlook on the whole situation. your less likely to be a tw@t on a bike to begin with.

where as in a car you feel safe as houses i mean what can go wrong??? but i guess thats the problem.

You've obviously not seen the packs of "rat boys" on scooters, 8 or 10 at a time, cutting up all and sundry of an evening then ?

LOL yes unfortuantly i know exactly what your on about :)

but then you'll find that there mostly 16/17 learning to drive cars.

But still riding bikes nonetheless.

Can i address your earlier comment too:
'ive never driven a bike on the road (scramblers all the way) there two totally different machines, to compare a motorbike license to a car license is plain stupidity imo.'

Do you actually have a road license for a bike then? The system works for bikes, whats the fact that its a different machine to do with anything?
Can i just point out that a 700cc chevrolet matiz is a different machine to a BMW M5 ? By a million miles.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

Buzz...I don't follow the Matiz/M5 argument..

If Sir Jeremy of Clarkson can compare a Daihatsu and an Ascari on the Nirvana that is Top Gear, then I'm afraid the comparison between the Matiz and the M5 stands...!!!

Only Jokin' BTW before you get your Thesaurus out for a well scripted and withering attack on me...!!!

lol.

Buzz

no i dont want a bike license i like my cr125 when its off the road but thats it.
the bike license may work but even without the restrictions i very much doubt fatalities of young riders would come anywhere near young drivers. purely for the fact there arent many young riders, could be the law of averages ;)

well, having driven an 11hp 125 for a couple of months, and then one day sitting down on a 75hp 500 i can tell you they are (like the matiz and the m5) a million miles apart. Took me all bloody day to get used to it, and i still just about threw myself off the back when i was told to get to 70 asap on a dual carriageway, and was only doing 20 having just come off a roundabout. I also struggled a bit with the roundabouts, and when i tried to 3 point turn in the street (which i've done dozens of times on the 125) i nearly fell off and had to put both feet down to stop me dropping the bike.

Now the biggest difference i've driven in car terms is from 50hp to 170hp, and i thought at the time that the 170bhp was just outrageous, and pushing the limits so god only knows how a 500+ bhp M5 would feel.

In conclusion, i would strongly vote for a graduated license system, just as is applied to bikes.

G5een, I suppose you think its unfair that under 21's cant drive HGV's or 50 seater coaches?

Buzz

a hgt, yes its unfair a 50seater coach where did you get that from?! if any graduated licensing or any restrictions came in now i doubt they'd affect me anyway, i also doubt they'd change the accident rate.

alot of accidents involving young/inexperienced drivers are down to poor road sense aswell not because there thrashing the hell out of their M5 probably more to do with not checking blindspots or being aware of other motorists. in which case an M5 or Matiz it wouldnt matter.

LOL you can tell its early i thought you were comparing a hgt to 50seater coach.

i think there are already restrictions stopping new/young drivers from driving anything above 3.5tonnes or twin wheel based vehicles. hgv licenses are a must imo.

not sure where thats relevant to the current topic though

apologies for butting in so late in a thread, but i agree restrictions should be put in place to stop idiots getting hold of high performance cars at a young age.

But to do that you sacrifice the many young drivers who dont drive like idiots ability to go out and buy a larger engine.

for arguments sake if a younger lad needed to do a lot of motorway miles it would make a bit more sense to go out and buy a larger engined car rather than using a 1.0l.

BUT even all this would not stop young drivers driving fast, take a 1.1 saxo for instance, they arent anything special but are fairly nippy. and theres just enough speed to cause a big accident in them. Also the Bravo 1.2 is quite a quick car for what it is, im sure Rascal would definately agree there his can shift if he wants it to.

it doesn't matter to a crap driver what car it is, they'll still try and hit 60 in a 30 zone.

so why restrict and discriminate the decent drivers when a tit will drive like a tit no matter what car he/she (its not just lads you know ;)) is in?
what works for one thing doesnt always work for another

Its the same thing though! thats the point! Reducing your casualites on the roads

Young and inexperienced drivers with too much power available will more frequently get it wrong. Its easier to spin a 500bhp rwd car off the road than a 1 litre micra or corsa or whatever.

Bear in mind, that i've just sat my direct access training and test to enable me to miss the 2yr 125cc bike restriction. By doing extra training, and a harder test, i've shown myself capable of handling the vehicle. Same should apply to cars. If you were 18 and adamant that you could handle a bigger car and drive more responsibly, something similar to bypass a restriction could be available to you too. And before you mention it, i AM actually training towards my advanced driving test with the IAM, so something similar could be used to de-restrict an under 21's license. When i was only a few years younger than i am now and a lot less experienced (i cover about 25k car miles a year), i had a couple of close calls, and it was luck not skill that prevented me having an accident. I'm addressing that with the IAM now though i wish i'd been encouraged to do it 5 years ago. In 2 years time, i'll start the same process for the bike.

Buzz