OT - Bmw M5 - Young Lad

Currently reading:
OT - Bmw M5 - Young Lad

v sad..

Hgt_20engine.jpg

99' Nero Black Bravo HGT 155
20v Air box wanted complete email me ([email protected])

in my eye its not about being able to control a car...its the fact of making a habit of being visualant when u drive..many years of experience sort of make it a habit, u develop habit if u do things for a long time..and being older doesnt make u a better driver (god how i hate old people behind the wheel of a car haha) but being older does give u the maturity of not wheel spinning at every traffic light or roundabout...and deffinatly not driving while under the influence.. then again i am probably wrong :p

newsig-1.jpg

One for the money Two for the show :)

My sentiments are exactly the same as Jayfish's. i have been driving on the road now for 6 years, but had been driving on private land for a few years before hand. also did a bit of kart racing when i was younger too.

ive had close shaves, a coupld of big shunts and a fair few cars too. ive become alot more sensible with time, although every now and then i will 'have some' and put the car through its paces, but my experience, although limited, has taught me many things, visual awarness, both towards the traffic, the road itself, the pavements, mirrors and also the weather (that plays a big part in things and its not just wet or dry either!)

ive learnt the hard way and been fortunate plain and simple

Andy_sx

Problems with iDrive and gear changes are now the least of this guy's worries....

Maybe it was cos all of his settings were "to the max"?

Or maybe he took literally the comments of another guy on the M5 forum who told him to sell his regular 5 series and "mod the hell out of his M5". That he most certainly did.

Ive just read the thread on the M5 forum regarding this and its really turned my stomach. can you imagine if this happened to one of us on here. God how awful. It really doesnt bear thinking about. Think about this thread every time you fancy a "blip" in your car next time guys coz i dont think any of us on here want to lose one of us like that.

re my original post.

When i was 18 i used to think "why not?, I'm a good driver/rider, i can handle this, lets go for it"

at 35 i think "what if?, it bl**dy hurts when it goes wrong, perhaps i won't go for it"

that's 17yrs of riding/driving experience talking.

Thats why we shouldn't have access to massively powerful vehicles at a young age in my opinion

was not going to comment on this one but the hell with it, when i was 17 all i could afford for a car was a renault 5 1.4 gtl, god that was a good car!! any way if i had the money i would have got something more sporty and i think a lot of people would do the same?

when i was 18 i got myself an MGBGT 1800 twin carb with working overdrive!! this car gave me me a lot of respect for the road, stop thinking for a sec and it would try and bite you, i let my girlfriend (now wife) drive it she did about 100 yards and gave me the keys back.

as for young drivers being limited to smaller engined cars i think it could be a good idea but believe it would be to hard to enforce

Ratty3.jpg

Marea, why settle for less

I'm definitely a big supporter of engine restrictions similar to those used on motorbikes. IMHO, engine size restrictions should be based primarily on length of time driving since date of test and age.

For example (and arguments sake):

17-19 Driving 18 months - 1.0L

18-21 Driving 24 months - 1.2L

I'm not saying these should be the limits, but merely an indication of the differences.

It is statistical and undeniable fact that a young person with little or no experience, driving a high powered car is a fatal combination. It is not just the life of the driver that is of most concern, but those innocent individuals who suffer the consequences.

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX - Bigger IS better ! ;)

violator.gif

i know what your saying rob but the first time i went to france i used my brothers car 2.0 diesel pug 406 i was only 19 (driving two years) at the time and if we had laws simlar to this i would prob not have been able to go as the brava would not fit everything we needed to take.

Ratty3.jpg

Marea, why settle for less

i wonder..we are all use to the speed limit..most of us respect that limit and we drive by the limit..but what if the speed limit was to be removed..so u could drive as fast as u want..how many people would say f***it im guna stay at 30..and how many would say oh yes....120 all the way??

just thought about it lol

newsig-1.jpg

One for the money Two for the show :)

ive been having this restrictions debate with someone on another forum.

the statistics show that yes young males are more likely to have an accident but dont show if those accidents were caused in 1.0 corsa's or 2.0 alfa's.

the fact is a 1.2 corsa can do over a 100mph hardly a performance car but more than capable of killing a fair few people.

restrict young drivers all you want make them pass more tests etc it wont change a thing, most cars you see in fields and hedges are 80bhp 1.2/1.4 hatchbacks a few 100bhp saxo's 106's.
if these restrictions were in place i wouldnt of owned any of the cars i have, and ive hardly been a menace to society.

it all lies with discipline

"most cars you see in fields and hedges are 80bhp 1.2/1.4 hatchbacks a few 100bhp saxo's 106's"

Could be law of averages....lot more of those types ^ than TVRs if you know where i'm coming from.

i see where your coming from, but usually the cars you find in fields werent driven there by carol going to pick her kids up from school ;)

on a bike licence you are restricted to a 49cc then a 125cc... why not make cars the same?

rascalsig.jpg

bikes are a whole different ball game, i cant see how people can compare the two tbh.

I can!
Its significantly harder to control a big bike compared to a small one. The clutch needs to be much better controlled, and you have to be much more aware of the bikes weight for starters.
The more power you have in a car, the easier it is to break traction for starters. In a fwd 1.2 corsa, if you push the gas too hard through a bend you might start to understeer (or it might be that nothing happens because theres no significant power increase), and you fell it pulling away, so can back off the gas and the car comes back onto your preferred line. Take a 5 series 3 litre bmw through the same bend, perhaps at a higher speed, and accelerate through the bend, and the rear just might snap out and try to overtake you. Without practice, and experience controlling it, that car is going off the road. It happens to experienced drivers too, but theres a lot less chance they'll pe pushing hard on the gas through a bend, whereas a new license and enthusiastic 18yr old will be more likely to overestimate his skill, and the capability of the car. Hmm, I think i'm starting to talk in circles now.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

ive never driven a bike on the road (scramblers all the way) there two totally different machines, to compare a motorbike license to a car license is plain stupidity imo.

As an ex. biker, (and trucker) I agree that cars/bikes/lorrys are totaly different machines.
However, all are driven on the public highway by people of all ages/abilities, so the principal of a graduated licencing system is the same - and that point is just as valid for all three, surely?

yes the system works for bikes but lets look who rides bikes, most are 30+ mature adults who are likely to get caught out by the extra power being a new rider not 17yr old kids showing off.
no matter what car you give them they'll push it to the max and beyond resulting in serious injury or death. restrictions arent the answer if only it were that simple.