General Oops 😬

Currently reading:
General Oops 😬

IMG-20231011-WA0000.jpeg
Will a standard active wing fit on my active sport?
And would a 5 door wing fit/are they the same??

Last edited:
Ouch !!! how fast where you going !!!

Two ways to look at this. 1 is that the active spot is the bottom of the sport range, the most basic car with few extras, very cheap and it's probably uneconomical to repair.

Conversely 2. it is an old car now, apparently Puntos are to become the next nostalgia car with people in their late 30s and 40s buying them up to relive their youth it might become valuable in the not too distant future, but I'd have to say only if repaired properly and that would cost quite a lot with getting a body shop to make sure everything was perfect, not just slapping on a vaguely similar coloured bumper and wing from another car.

Sporting bumpers have always been harder to come by.

One thing I have to ask is if thats a propper Punto Classic Grill. The silver grill, I only know of one Punto Classic Grill in the UK and that was the one I imported and fitted to my 2004 Mk2b prior to selling it back in 2016

Two ways to look at this. 1 is that the active spot is the bottom of the sport range, the most basic car with few extras, very cheap and it's probably uneconomical to repair.

Conversely 2. it is an old car now, apparently Puntos are to become the next nostalgia car with people in their late 30s and 40s buying them up to relive their youth it might become valuable in the not too distant future, but I'd have to say only if repaired properly and that would cost quite a lot with getting a body shop to make sure everything was perfect, not just slapping on a vaguely similar coloured bumper and wing from another car.

One thing I have to ask is if thats a propper Punto Classic Grill. The silver grill, I only know of one Punto Classic Grill in the UK and that was the one I imported and fitted to my 2004 Mk2b prior to selling it back in 2016
I was only doing about 25mph coming up to a bend when the tyre blew out. Aqua planed over the road into a hedge with a steel post in it.
You're right it is a cheap runabout but absolutely fine otherwise and just passed its MOT so due to current financial issues I'd rather just get a wing and headlight and fix the bumper.
I can do the bodywork well enough myself to make it safe to drive again.
I just want to make sure any mk2b facelift wing will fit this 3 door active sport including one from the same model 5 door.
Just to give me a fighting chance of finding one that fits (hopefully not requiring respray to red) !!

Try 'failsworth Fiat spares' they have mainly Fiats of all descriptions for breaking. Had several bits for the punto (MK2B active) and Multi from him, at sensible prices, and quick delivery.
currently has this red one, plus a few other mk2 as well.
Also, google 'fiat punto breaking' and see how many turn up. I usually check a few, ask for prices, etc, then haggle between them!!

Hope this helps!!(y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

I painted the grille and inserts myself 😁

Also, I bought a brand new MK1 16v Sporting in the dark blue from the original petrol station TV advert and it was my pride and joy!
I would have got one of them this time but there weren't any nearby!

It looks like there is almost certainty damage to the inner wing which may put your metal being skills to the test, the bonnet may also now be twisted. You can easily get it all “good enough” but it’s not going to be perfect by a long shot

It’s a shame, I love the look of the mk2b sporting and in that colour reminds me of my old Punto HGT which also met a sticky (crumpled) fate

It looks like there is almost certainty damage to the inner wing which may put your metal being skills to the test, the bonnet may also now be twisted. You can easily get it all “good enough” but it’s not going to be perfect by a long shot

It’s a shame, I love the look of the mk2b sporting and in that colour reminds me of my old Punto HGT which also met a sticky (crumpled) fate
Good enough will have to do unfortunately. It's a lovely little runabout and it is very "pretty" but at the end of the day it's only valued at £299.
To me it's a perfectly fine vehicle that does what it's supposed to do so I'd rather spend £80 on a used headlamp and wing and use my trusty (and cheap) plastic staple welder on the bumper followed by some filler and colour matched paint.
Where else would I find a lovely little motor like this for £299 plus £80 for the fix?
That's my argument anyway. (If I'm being honest I would rather have the previous MK2 16v Sporting or HGT but there aren't any about!)

That's my argument anyway. (If I'm being honest I would rather have the previous MK2 16v Sporting or HGT but there aren't any about!)
my HGT was the mk2b diesel version, only about 150 ever sold in the uk and now <10 on the road still. So very rare indeed, not seen one come up for sale for a long time now. The petrol HGTs also seem to be disappearing the mk2b seems more rare than the earlier mk2 I think a lot of it comes down to complexity, my HGT was for ever going wrong with one problem or another and was a bit of a money pit. I think had it not been crashed then it would have been scrapped for some other reason.

The active sport and 1.2 sporting models are so cheap and simple they just keep working and generally the only thing that might kill them is an expensive MOT bill that someone doesn’t want to pay, they are worth so little that it doesn’t take much being wrong at the MOT for it to effectively be worth less than the cost of repair.

When I said to make sure nothing it bent I was referring to the suspension you need to make sure the lower arm strut and steering arms are all ok, it looks like the impact was big enough to have caused some damage there

my HGT was the mk2b diesel version, only about 150 ever sold in the uk and now <10 on the road still. So very rare indeed, not seen one come up for sale for a long time now. The petrol HGTs also seem to be disappearing the mk2b seems more rare than the earlier mk2 I think a lot of it comes down to complexity, my HGT was for ever going wrong with one problem or another and was a bit of a money pit. I think had it not been crashed then it would have been scrapped for some other reason.

The active sport and 1.2 sporting models are so cheap and simple they just keep working and generally the only thing that might kill them is an expensive MOT bill that someone doesn’t want to pay, they are worth so little that it doesn’t take much being wrong at the MOT for it to effectively be worth less than the cost of repair.

When I said to make sure nothing it bent I was referring to the suspension you need to make sure the lower arm strut and steering arms are all ok, it looks like the impact was big enough to have caused some damage there
Thanks mate. I've just put the alloy wheel back on and it does look a bit close to the rear of the wheel arch!
It's a bit hard to tell with all the original damage still there so I'll have to see how things look when I work out how to get it all off.
Some bedtime reading of the Haynes manual for me until the headlamp and wing arrive!

Use EPER To compare parts..

Probably the same.. But there are subtle changes throuhhout

Add a reversing sensor to the list 😉
I'm looking for this bracket that connects the wing to the bumper and wheel arch liner.
It has 4803DX and A898 stamped on it

Attachments

• 1697369668655623546949614051898.jpg
    1697369668655623546949614051898.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
Back