General Oops! Part 2

Currently reading:
General Oops! Part 2

After hours of plastic hot staple welding (the most useful bit of kit I've ever bought for less than a tenner!), epoxy resin, aluminium mesh, untangling and straightening brackets, wing and bumper, I've finally finished the prep ready for paint!
My only concern now is the wheel looks like it's been pushed backwards in the wheel arch (and the outside of the tyre rubs on it on full lock right). See pics
A quick look underneath and the tie rod end is not bent and everything else looks fine except I've noticed the suspension strut cap top has been pushed backwards in the slot. See pics (the second pic is the opposite passenger side strut mount for comparison)
Can I loosen the bolt and push it forward to get the wheel back to the centre of the wheel arch? (Is this just a case of wheel off the ground with a jack, loosen and push forward?)
Or could it be something more serious with wishbone etc?
IMG_20231018_101352.jpg
IMG_20231018_101403.jpg
IMG_20231018_101448.jpg
IMG_20231018_101458.jpg

My advise would be to get it on a garage ramp and have someone familiar with accident damage inspect, as viewing from underneath will give a much better understanding of the extent of the damage.
Modern cars are designed to absorb impact progressively to protect the occupants, this often means damage can extend much further than would appear at first.

My advise would be to get it on a garage ramp and have someone familiar with accident damage inspect, as viewing from underneath will give a much better understanding of the extent of the damage.
Modern cars are designed to absorb impact progressively to protect the occupants, this often means damage can extend much further than would appear at first.
Garage have confirmed it's bent wishbone/control arm and unfortunately the sub-frame was corroded enough to buckle.
Anyone know where I can get hold of the above parts used??

Failsworth currently has 5 different punto mk1/2's he is currently breaking, might find that both use similar parts?? Should be able to sort you out from that lot!!(y)
(He's currently keeping an eye out for a towbar for my punto for me!)
Cheers buddy. I've emailed last night so fingers crossed 😀

Subframe and wishbone collected from Failsworth. They're in good nick but some surface rust.
Taking Ziggy's advice but not going the whole 9 yards I'm planning to wire brush and sand them then put a coating if kurust on followed by a coat of red oxide primer.
What do you chaps recommend as a top coat?
Stone chip then black gloss? Waxoyl??

Subframe and wishbone collected from Failsworth. They're in good nick but some surface rust.
Taking Ziggy's advice but not going the whole 9 yards I'm planning to wire brush and sand them then put a coating if kurust on followed by a coat of red oxide primer.
What do you chaps recommend as a top coat?
Stone chip then black gloss? Waxoyl??
I have usually used Hammerite as the final coat, and then added a second to make sure it stays solid.
Done this on several underside bits over the years. Never let me down yet ( famous last words!! ;) )
Glad you got the bits. Failsworth seem a decent outfit. Always seem to have the bits I need (apart from that towbar! 😁)

I have usually used Hammerite as the final coat, and then added a second to make sure it stays solid.
Done this on several underside bits over the years. Never let me down yet ( famous last words!! ;) )
Glad you got the bits. Failsworth seem a decent outfit. Always seem to have the bits I need (apart from that towbar! 😁)
Yeah they seemed quite chatty. £95 for the frame and £10 for the wishbone so can't grumble. I saw a subframe for £50 but it was in a lot worse nick.
Did you use the smooth hammerite or the textured?

Yeah they seemed quite chatty. £95 for the frame and £10 for the wishbone so can't grumble. I saw a subframe for £50 but it was in a lot worse nick.
Did you use the smooth hammerite or the textured?
I used the textured, basically because I had a large tin of it, and had used it previously on a towbar for my multi that I got from Failsworth, an wire shot blasted it, primed with red oxide and gave it 2 coats of Hammerite. Came up a treat, still looks good now years later.
Both the smooth and the hammered are great stuff, just depends on whether you like the smooth or hammered finish. I like the hammered as it looks like the item has been undersealed, as has the same sort of finish.
Whichever you get, it will be OK, but do 2 coats, and read the instructions regarding timing between coats.

I've managed to get hold of some axle stands and I was wondering how big of a job is it to swap out the subframe without pneumatic power tools?
Is there a guide on here I've missed?

I've managed to get hold of some axle stands and I was wondering how big of a job is it to swap out the subframe without pneumatic power tools?
Is there a guide on here I've missed?

Biggest issue will be the bolts going into Non. Steel items(steering rack..?)

The bolts into Foorpan should be ok

I did mine ( 90's tipo) on axle stands with a breaker bar

Do put other supports under the car though.. Wheels etc. At you may be APPLYING Lots of torque

Also, soak every nut/bolt you are going to have to take out, several times, over a period of days beforehand. I use 'plusgas' as much better than 'WD40' type sprays. This should help release the bolts. Also found a little bit of heat sometimes helps, but be careful, don't use blowtorch!!
I used a heat gun, on lowest setting, and just played it around the area for a minute or so. (you might not need to do this, if the plusgas does the trick.)
As mentioned make sure the vehicle is VERY securely supported!!

Back