Technical oops TB help..TB in bits

Currently reading:
Technical oops TB help..TB in bits

After being told by a few that fitting a 40mm TB wasnt very difficult, i decided to give it a go :D

The old TB is now in bits, accelerator cable knackered and the driveway where i keep the car will never freeze again :eek: :eek:

I managed to thread the nut on the accelerator cable, i then realiased that i only had to loosen it and pull the springy bit forward and flick out the cable

I pulled the pipe out on the front of the TB and I had the bright idea of using my jumper to catch what i thought was a few drops of coolant, i then realised the coolant tank was emptying in front of my very eyes :(

I then decided to put the pipe back on and thought when i remove all the other pipes and when i am ready to fit new TB i can quickly change the pipes over. So i removed the first pipe and coolant started ****ing out of that one :cry:

So how do I stop the water other than emptying the contents onto the drive, or suitable bucket if i remember to take one.....and will coolant do any damage to all the bits of the engine that it has covered, mainly down the back where i cant see

How do I put my cinq back together, shall i just drop to my knees and pray :(

Cheers

Gaz

Man youve just made me laugh mate

Now the best way is too drain the coolant from the system and once the jobs finnished top up with new stuff which is never a bad idea anyway

Coolant aint the best stuff to be chucking about mainly over paintwork is the problem so get a bucket or two of water and chuck that around to dilute it and someone else will be along shortly on the techy side of building the throttle body back up i havent done one for ages so not gonna say till im sure

wayne

custard boy said:
you wont get much more coolant anyway gaz as the TB is near the top. you can just drain the expansion tank and there wont be much left to come out.

edit:im thinking you had the expansion cap on?in which case any pressure would have pushed the coolant out

yep expansion cap was on, i did remove it but i never took of pipes....was too scared :eek:

i removed the top hose that comes from expansion tank for some reason, so need to get a jubilee clip to tighten that back up

why didnt anyone mention the coolant lol , i bet they just wanted to see me suffer :p

dave said:

i read that, it is now covered in coolant and greasy fingers :(

i never got passed the first bit on the TB thought cause i thought it looked pretty easy to do :eek:

cheers for the link arc (y) , so a little loss of coolant was expected lol

will the coolant of done any damage to anything at the back of the engine

how do fix my accelerator cable, is it a case of just replacing it, is that an easy job??

dave said:
didnt the first bit say drain cooling system?:confused:

maybe not though they dont call it the haynes book of lies for nothing :(

the first bit said something about depressurising the fuel system and tbh i didnt read step 2 onwards :(

i dont think there is much about removing a tb in haynes other than a few lines

if you leave the top bit in place, like i described in that other thread then you don't have to deal with the fuel system. Leaking a bit of coolant is better than leaking fuel as well!

arc said:
if you leave the top bit in place, like i described in that other thread then you don't have to deal with the fuel system. Leaking a bit of coolant is better than leaking fuel as well!

the top part is off and to one side - that was quite easy to remove, am just replacing the bored out bit now

gaz.. pin the collant hose on the back with a set of mole grips. that will stop the collant.. remove the hose.. change the TB and then reconnect.. its fiddly but you wont soak anything... although I managed to anyway but car is fine! the only thing dow nthe back of the engine is the starter and the alternator. they should be ok as they will get a soaking from every puddle in the road anyway. im sure a bit of coolant wont do it any harm.

Emm said:
:eek: gaz coolant is Very VERY deadly to cats :( .......do water it down off the drive with lots and lots of water plllllllllllllllllease!!
That's interesting... especially for those of us who buy a new car, then come out the next day to find dirty paw prints all over it. :mad: :devil:
H

To be honest it's not so much the pawprints on the car that annoy me. More that they defecate in my bin area and (outside) stairs. :yuck:
H

T14086 said:
Cats keep the birds away(therefore birdsh*t)from your car though;)
I live in a town. There are no birds here. Surely though living in a town must mean it's cruel to keep cats here? :confused: It's not their natural environment.
On a related note, the girl who lives opposite me has several cats :)mad:), and keeps the light over her back door on all night long, every night. When asked why, I was told "it's so the cats can find their way home". I mean come on! If there's one animal that is nocturnal and doesn't need a light to find it's way home, it a cat. :nutter:
H

Bushboy said:
gaz.. pin the collant hose on the back with a set of mole grips. that will stop the collant.. remove the hose.. change the TB and then reconnect.. its fiddly but you wont soak anything... although I managed to anyway but car is fine! the only thing dow nthe back of the engine is the starter and the alternator. they should be ok as they will get a soaking from every puddle in the road anyway. im sure a bit of coolant wont do it any harm.

will give it another go tommorrow i think :D

are there any other unexpected things i should be careful with when i remove the other 3 pipes at the back

just to fix the accelerator cable :chin:

Back