One very flukey BMW driver

Currently reading:
One very flukey BMW driver

im sure ive seen another video of the same twonk somewhere before....

it takes skill and a lot of confidence to drive like that - to weave at high speed among slower traffic, you really need to know the limits of your car well, like arse says.

HOWEVER, the risks that he took were simply unacceptable - all the skill in the world isnt going to save you when someone slams on the anchors at 80mph 2feet in front of you.

he gets a firm (n) from me.

i thought helz was english

As you just found out, I am :) Did you find your way home?

I wouldn't dare drive like that, with stupid drivers like some of those who can't be arsed to pull back in after overtaking, you can't guarantee what they're going to do and whatever happened to leaving a safety gap and steering/ accelerating smoothly :eek: I have been known to overtake on the left though - fast-lane hogging seems to be the new sport on the M6 :bang:

Oh deary me.....I just love him taking the p**s out of people who brake in front of him...one day he'll get it wrong and be flattened by an hgv....and everyone will say...well he was f**king idiot no great loss, pity about the car tho

I back undertaking on the motorway.

I dont.

Having driven in America for a while, it seems acceptable to do this (even though i understand it is frowned upon as is dangerous) and to be honest, makes driving on a six laned highway mightly poo pants time at times. We have a much safer system in place that doesnt need changing.

I understand the arguement at the moment is if someone does undertake you its dangerous because you are used to not being undertaken, however speaking to locals were i was in the USA they had grown up with it and still saw it as a very dangerous manourvre

If you're driving up a 3 lane motorway at 70 and catch upto someone who's over on the outside lane, I'm not going to move 2 lanes over so I'm behind him, then wait for him to realise he's not catching that car in the distance and move back in..

just hold the inside lane, leaving a full lane between us, then gun it past - at all times keeping an eye on what he's doing.

it doesnt end up working like that, people just gun past you on either side- even lorries

Then why don't you move over in the first place? If you're being overtaken on the left, you're in the wrong lane and should learn from it ;)

I've sat for ages behind ignorant people in the wrong lane and flashed/ beeped at them and no movement so I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit there behind them all day. I always sit on my horn as I go past to make them aware of my presence - I would hope that's enough that I wouldn't be done for dangerous driving.

If people adhered to the lane discipline rules in the UK then there'd be no need to undertake. Like Hellcat, I too undertake sometimes when some clown thinks he can sit in the middle/ outer lane all day. Why should I have to change lanes FOUR times instead of two just because some idiot is too lazy to move back into the inside lane?

Changing lanes itself is a risk. Being forced to do it more than is necessary because of inconsiderate middle/ outer lane hogs is proof indeed that we should either legalize undertaking OR start fining the middle and outer lane hogs heavily.

I agree with BBS, American highways are very dangerous due to undertaking. If your in the middle lane and wanting the next exit, it can be quite frightening trying to get to the outside lane when people are bombing up it... you can be sat in the middle lane for ages trying to get across before theres a safe opportunity.

Its also a safety thing. If your on the motorway and you need to swerve out of your lane for whatever reason (traffic accident, livestock, debris, etc,) you know you can almost always swerve into the outside lane if theres a gap to avoid it, as that traffic is travelling slower than you so your not going to cut someone up or be rear ended - if undertaking was legal, you put your life at risk by nipping into the outside lane... there could be someone coming up there much faster than you.

Then why don't you move over in the first place? If you're being overtaken on the left, you're in the wrong lane and should learn from it ;)

I've sat for ages behind ignorant people in the wrong lane and flashed/ beeped at them and no movement so I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit there behind them all day. I always sit on my horn as I go past to make them aware of my presence - I would hope that's enough that I wouldn't be done for dangerous driving.

Again it doesnt end up like this, people go for the gap they can see as if you were moving to overtake, so lots of times, its not because of someone plodding along in the other two lanes, it is a proper nightmare.

I agree over here there are people with no lane discipline that will stay in the middle lane or fast lane when nothing in other lane/s and people will undertake, but when it happens in the states its not usually big gaps and empty lanes

Last time I was there in 2003 the locals talked about wanting to have overtake only on the highways as even they hate it

Last edited:
Back