Old School GTi's

Currently reading:
Old School GTi's

Hey all, yeh it's another car post from me lol.. :eek:

been looking for a hatchback or similar, for under £1k. stuff like a 205 GTi, punto GT turbo, Renault 5 Gt turbo etc.. any other suggestions, the front runner is most likely the Peugeot 205 GTi, theyre cheap, 1.6 is 115bhp, the 1.9 is 130bhp, non turbo so more reliable, just not sure of the going rate for these type of cars..

saw a decent 205 gti, standard, FSH for £600 and only 50 mile away from me (y)

any other cars i should look for or any i should steer clear of?? cheers!

Last edited:
I have a Toyota Corolla GTI-16 sitting in my garage.

It is my project car that I am S...L...O...W...L...Y doing up.

120bhp 1.6 16v vetec - revs like a motor bike! :devil:

charrade gtti, theyre always a laugh!

obviously, theres the UT, but finding a reasonably rust free one is hard

205 gti, obvious choise, dont rot, and plenty to choose from

golf mk2 gti, 16v, can find them for under £1000

astra gte 16v, good engines, heads on them designed by cosworth, but the chassis arent that good and dont handle too well tbh, but a set of coilovers would help that ;)

mazda 323 1.6 16v turbo 4wd......interesting one, not many about but theyre meant to be a right laugh!

rover 220/420/coupe 2.0 16v turbo, one of these would be make a nice tool with some work

metro gti with a engine conversion. eg. elise lump or 2.0 turbo out of another rover

any more?

Dunc

Meaning...?

Grande Tourer (French I believe) = Grand Tourer in English! Simply means that the car is able to travel great distances at a fast pace. A 'GT' badge was therefore attached to vehicles with larger engines and capable of sustaining high speeds for long periods of time. Mostly this was two door coupe type body styles.

Injection = do I really have to tell you? :rolleyes: :p

Therefore GTi meant that it was a car with a relatively large fuel injected engine capable of travelling long distances at high'ish speeds.

charrade gtti, theyre always a laugh!

obviously, theres the UT, but finding a reasonably rust free one is hard

205 gti, obvious choise, dont rot, and plenty to choose from

golf mk2 gti, 16v, can find them for under £1000

astra gte 16v, good engines, heads on them designed by cosworth, but the chassis arent that good and dont handle too well tbh, but a set of coilovers would help that ;)

mazda 323 1.6 16v turbo 4wd......interesting one, not many about but theyre meant to be a right laugh!

rover 220/420/coupe 2.0 16v turbo, one of these would be make a nice tool with some work

metro gti with a engine conversion. eg. elise lump or 2.0 turbo out of another rover

any more?

Dunc

Pretty much agree with most of what Dunc says here. Charade GTti is a scream but they are hard to find. 3 cylinder sub 1 litre turbo charged pocket rocket that was 'restricted' (chips were available to unlock the extra power) - I kid you not!

Golf GTi 16v mk2 - not that recommended actually. Most people I know who had them felt it lacked the grunt of the 8v, it wasn't that much faster and certainly the early models weren't able to run unleaded. The 8v was a nicer drive. However, nothing to stop you getting a mk2 16v and then dropping a mk3 2.0 litre 16v lump in ;)

In the early 1990's the Renault 19 16v was regarded as one of the best all round GTi's by most of the motoring magazines. Would be fun and different, but I can't even tell you the last time I saw one on the road.

Sticking with French cars, if you want a tiddler that's fun look for a LATE AX GTi. The GTi version sorted some of the build quality issues with the carbed AX GT but it's still a bit flimsy. You can drop in bigger engines too quite easily and the handling is excellent for such a small and light car (y) I wouldn't recommend an early non injected GT as they are poorly built and fall to bits.

And a very under-rated car is the Citroen BX 1.9 16v. There's a very rare 4x4 version too but you'll be stuffed if you need drivetrain parts! They're quick, look like an Airfix space invader vehicle and the ride is something else.

Also, if you like the 205 GTi don't overlook the 309 GTi. It's virtually a 205 GTi with a boot and never liked as much therefore can be picked up for less.

I can't believe that I've just recommended all these old French cars!

Oh, and for a real engineering jewel get a late 80's/ early 90's Honda CRX. Great looking mini coupe with superb engineering. Get one that isn't rusting and you'll have an excellent rice rocket.

From the same era as the CRX, how about a Honda Prelude 16v four wheel steering model (4WS or AWS)? My mate has one, it goes and handles amazingly and the four wheel steering (once you get used to it) is so good you wonder why all cars aren't fitted with it. The build quality is superb and it feels like it will last for ever.

Only problem though with old Jap cars is getting hold of some of the spares :(

Plenty of fun old cars out there, it's just finding one that is not about to die that's the problem!

A few weeks ago you couldnt afford the insurance on a 2nd hand jtd now you are trying to get a GTI and then insure it!!

You are still dreaming im afraid and will buy diddly squat:rolleyes:

A few weeks ago you couldnt afford the insurance on a 2nd hand jtd now you are trying to get a GTI and then insure it!!

You are still dreaming im afraid and will buy diddly squat:rolleyes:

nah mate your wrong, my dads buying it for a 2nd car, im insured on any car 3rd party with owners permission and if that car is insured by the owner :D

Last edited:
So it isnt your car then :rolleyes:

a budget of 1k for any of those above will be high milers that need work or may have seen the wrong side of a hedge, check over VERY CAREFULLY any of them

You will not get a GT turbo for 1k unless it is in need of restoration or is completely fooked

Last edited:
So it isnt your car then :rolleyes:

a budget of 1k for any of those above will be high milers that need work or may have seen the wrong side of a hedge, check over VERY CAREFULLY any of them

You will not get a GT turbo for 1k unless it is in need of restoration or is completely fooked

never said it was my car ;) and like i said i have no idea of the going rate for GTi, obviously want something half decent (y) been looking at a 205 GTi with 100k, FSH, 1990 for £600. standard too but the milage may be a bit on the high side, then again with FSH it may not matter as much

never said it was my car ;)

You gave that impression in your first post it was to be your car rather than your dads

any other cars i should look for or any i should steer clear of?? cheers!

I cant grasp why you want this as a second car when you have an audi, your punto and your mothers panda at your disposal??? :confused:

Last edited:
You gave that impression in your first post it was to be your car rather than your dads

it's irrelevent anyway.

I cant grasp why you want this as a second car when you have an audi, your punto and your mothers panda at your disposal??? :confused:

it isn't for me it's for my dad. me getting to drive it is a bonus (y)

mk1 golf gti all the way, the original hot hatch! im on the look out for one at the mo, but im after a 1.3/1.5 as a Rat project..

Reason why you should look at mk1 golfs.. something i just made..
Mk1_Arty.jpg

Last edited:
Back