Technical oil filter

Currently reading:
Technical oil filter

OK. :rolleyes:
But what's your question?
Maybe use different, stronger, better tools?
file.php

Or (brutal method) puncture it with screwdriver. Or crush it with big pipe wrench.
134a8-pipe-wrench.jpg

Other pliers, vice grips etc.
61Ud0WoGtGL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Checked with video to ensure I am doing it correctly. Have tried pipe wrench, screwdriver, strap wrench (broke) and correct chain tool (broke). Still wont budge.

Try to cut it if possible (if you have proper tools), remove the can part. There will be only lid/cup stuck on the engine.
file.php

Then try heat gun, to expand the threaded part. And/or weaken it by grinding with small die grinder, "Dremel", or just hand file, but not completely (do not cut into the oil pump nipple, cut only into oil filter threaded feature). Then vice grip should move it.
file.php

Like that...
File_Grind_to_crack_it.jpg
Of course you cannot use fire, gas torch. But for example TIG welder as a heat source can be used (no filler, just to heat things up locally).

Last edited:
Tap the sides of the filter gently with a wooden hammer. Usually if the filter seal wasn't oiled, it sticks very hard. :cry: Sometimes tapping helps to separate stuck parts. It's also difficult to get enough torque because there isn't much space.

GrandePuntoPL's method is good. You can cut filter cover around, closest to it's base (that part with rubber O-ring). Then you can use flat screwdriver and pry off that "base" from engine block around (but dont destroy surface on engine block for rubber O-ring). Then you ahould be able to unscrew the rest of filter (that base) by hand ;-)

And you can also use razor and cut the O-ring rubber around...

Last edited:
Go same as Evo 1.2 more or less I believe...

Not much of a gap between filter and engine.

The first time we used the 3leg 1/2 inch drive type, was ok but fouled the engine, not much gap.

In Lidl, we saw the magnifying glass shaped one, worked a treat getting the filter off, and if used intelligently, can be used to nip the filter tieght when fitting new filter.

Still trying to get the cup) socket type using the flats on the filter end...no joy yet, so the magnifying glass shaped one....

I hate those type of filters
I much prefer the paper filter that fit in an external filter.housing

I’ve never had any problems really regarding any type of filter, obviously of no help to anyone. Having the correct tools is the key. However where the filter is located can be a pain. My Coupe is a mini nightmare to get at for instance. Tucked up away out of sight on drivers side close to all the moving parts. Sometimes a piece of coarse sandpaper is helpful for the spin on type.

I think the key is to tight filter during installation by hand, and then (to be sure) very gently tight with the tool. Then will be no problem during next dismounting

Back