General OIL/FILTER CHANGE NIGHTMARE 2015 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.3 Diesel 95 HP Multijet

Currently reading:
General OIL/FILTER CHANGE NIGHTMARE 2015 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.3 Diesel 95 HP Multijet

picasso55

2015 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.3 diesel multi-jet.

Thought I would carry out oil/filter change on wife’s car as now out of warranty.

Must admit I’m not that familiar with Diesel engines and didn’t realise the immediate significance of an oil change for this type of engine.

Purchased the parts from Fiat main dealer at reasonable price.

Researched tools required;
  • 12mm for sump plug
  • 27mm socket to remove oil filter casing.
  • T30 torx for the oil filter protective cover

Due to restricted space I planned to use the scissor jack provided to raise the front of the car, together with newly purchased jack stands.

After initial difficulties finally managed to raise the car on the jack stands altho not very high due to restrictive height of the scissor jack.

I was actually looking forward to the task as I hadn’t changed oil/filter for years as car under warranty.

It was cold and ****ing down, but that didn’t bother me as I had set the car under the garage door for protection from the rain.

IST problem encountered, the 12mm sump plug adaptor didn’t fit! I managed to photograph the plug and discovered it would require a T40 torx or a 6mm Allen key?? I had a T40 torx but this failed to grip! So I resorted to a 6mm Allen key!

I really couldn’t believe I was attempting to remove the sump plug with such a feeble tiny Allen key! The plug wasn’t budging and I was struggling with leverage!

The first Allen key snapped! I was about to give up but the plug suddenly moved!

Success!

I let the oil drain.

OIL FILTER REMOVAL:

I realised the filter did not, as I had read, have a protective case?

I tried my new 27mm socket on the oil filter casing for size. It didn’t fit!

Every tutorial/video had advised a 27mm socket! Did I have the correct socket as the casing had a hexagonal protrusion. Again, the tutorials stated a 27mm socket. I actually watched a few video’s where the tech was using an identical 27mm socket to remove the casing! I attempted to measure the diameter of the hexagonal protrusion, it was approx 30-32mm? I was completely ****ed off! The oil was draining and there was no chance of resolving the problem as it was late Saturday evening! Due to the restricted location of the filter I was unable to use any other tool!

Looks like I will be taxiing the other half to and from work until resolved!

I had to lower and move the bloody car so I could shut the garage door!

Can’t find anything on the web relating specifically to this model! Plenty of info referring to 1.3 diesel but mostly older models ie 2009-2013?

Would appreciate any advice regarding spec changes or tools required to carry out what was once a pleasurable task but one which the manufacturers are deliberately attempting to dissuade the weekender mechanic. :bang:

Sent from my iPad

2015 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.3 diesel multi-jet.

Thought I would carry out oil/filter change on wife’s car as now out of warranty.

Must admit I’m not that familiar with Diesel engines and didn’t realise the immediate significance of an oil change for this type of engine.

Purchased the parts from Fiat main dealer at reasonable price.

Researched tools required;
  • 12mm for sump plug
  • 27mm socket to remove oil filter casing.
  • T30 torx for the oil filter protective cover

Due to restricted space I planned to use the scissor jack provided to raise the front of the car, together with newly purchased jack stands.

After initial difficulties finally managed to raise the car on the jack stands altho not very high due to restrictive height of the scissor jack.

I was actually looking forward to the task as I hadn’t changed oil/filter for years as car under warranty.

It was cold and ****ing down, but that didn’t bother me as I had set the car under the garage door for protection from the rain.

IST problem encountered, the 12mm sump plug adaptor didn’t fit! I managed to photograph the plug and discovered it would require a T40 torx or a 6mm Allen key?? I had a T40 torx but this failed to grip! So I resorted to a 6mm Allen key!

I really couldn’t believe I was attempting to remove the sump plug with such a feeble tiny Allen key! The plug wasn’t budging and I was struggling with leverage!

The first Allen key snapped! I was about to give up but the plug suddenly moved!

Success!

I let the oil drain.

OIL FILTER REMOVAL:

I realised the filter did not, as I had read, have a protective case?

I tried my new 27mm socket on the oil filter casing for size. It didn’t fit!

Every tutorial/video had advised a 27mm socket! Did I have the correct socket as the casing had a hexagonal protrusion. Again, the tutorials stated a 27mm socket. I actually watched a few video’s where the tech was using an identical 27mm socket to remove the casing! I attempted to measure the diameter of the hexagonal protrusion, it was approx 30-32mm? I was completely ****ed off! The oil was draining and there was no chance of resolving the problem as it was late Saturday evening! Due to the restricted location of the filter I was unable to use any other tool!

Looks like I will be taxiing the other half to and from work until resolved!

I had to lower and move the bloody car so I could shut the garage door!

Can’t find anything on the web relating specifically to this model! Plenty of info referring to 1.3 diesel but mostly older models ie 2009-2013?

Would appreciate any advice regarding spec changes or tools required to carry out what was once a pleasurable task but one which the manufacturers are deliberately attempting to dissuade the weekender mechanic. :bang:

Sent from my iPad

I did my Bravo a while back. Similar arrangement and it needed my 32mm socket. So you may be right. I have had the thing for about 20 years and that was its first use!

Back