General Oh really?

Currently reading:
General Oh really?

Myusername

Well the spending continues - a new set of wipers. This car car is getting expensive to run...?

Buuuuutttt...the teeny one for the rear came as a complete arm, which seems rather wasteful and all that. And wouldn't you know it, the arm is siezed to the spindle and I don't have a removal tool.?

Has anyone been able to just replace the wiper head itself? If so, care to share?

to remove the full arm
lift cover
undo nut
lift blade off window
pull while gently tapping

the tapper corrodes together. You just have to be patient. It will eventually fall apart.

a slide hammer makes it easy, useful but not a necessary expense.

Last edited:
to remove the full arm
lift cover
undo nut
lift blade off window
pull while gently tapping

the tapper corrodes together. You just have to be patient. It will eventually fall apart.

a slide hammer makes it easy, useful but not a necessary expense.

After many years of doing this without issue.. my Grande front wipers were 'Solid' as you say.. the spline and taper all bind together with corrosion

I had to make a puller.. which still needed a tap around

Tip: IF you need to use a hammer

Screw the nut back on until it is level with the top of the wiper shaft

Then you have a bigger area to tap AND the threads will be better protected ;)

A slide hammer? Now that's an idea...?

I was trying to avoid bashing it because I'm liable to break the window?

I shall investigate changing the blade if I can work out how. Or just not bother since I never look out the back window anyway - much less hassle when pulling out in front of people if you can't see their glares through the filthy window?

A slide hammer? Now that's an idea...?

I was trying to avoid bashing it because I'm liable to break the window?

I shall investigate changing the blade if I can work out how. Or just not bother since I never look out the back window anyway - much less hassle when pulling out in front of people if you can't see their glares through the filthy window?

no bashing

lots of light taps

bearing puller should also work, safer too

I look in the pound shops for the wiper blades where the rubber blade is held in by two metal strips.

one end has a notch, Once this is unclipped they just slid out. Just cut to length and fit into the old arm

Some of the cheap blades now are different. With the rubber held on by a bit of plastic instead of the metal strips. Its not as easy to get these to work. I have done it needed some trimming and bending not really worth the effort

These problems are all wear-n-tear items. Some cars are cheap because everything is worn out. BUT when its done you have loads of use with lots of nice new stuff.

The rear wiper is usually messed up so getting the complete arm does a better job and it properly wipes the curved top of the window.

Make sure wipers are correctly parked. Turn off ignition.
Loosen wiper arm retaining nut. Leave nut on the thread
Using pipe pliers like below.
Adjust so the pliers sliding jaw will bear on the shaft end with curved jaw under the wiper arm. Squeeze quite hard but dont go mad.
A gentle tap with a hammer on the upper jaw while squeezing will shift the taper. The nut stops it all falling off and causing damage.
When you re-assemble, use some anti seize paste to stop it happening again.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back