Number plate law?

Currently reading:
Number plate law?

chrisunoman

Prominent member
Whats the law concerning the black number plates?

Id love to get a black number plate, but are they illegal?

Could i put one on if i bought an old plate (off a car which would have had a black number plate?

Any info would be appreciated.... (y)

They are illegal:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm

It states only pre-73 cars are permitted to show as much.

Also of interest to some:

Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates.When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

Damn!

The dvla says its only vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 that may display traditional style "black and white" plates....

so its the vehicle and not the plate :cry:

im having TVR back lit plates, i haven't found anything from the DVLA for them, i assume they will be legal cause they light up in the dark - sorry to hijack a thread :)

bloomfieldliam said:
Aren't cars form Jersey or something allowed those plates?

Liam

Yes, cars registered in the Channel islands can have black with silver text plates, there are alot of them down here in Bournemouth (2 1/2 hour ferry trip from Poole) and it confused me no end when I moved down here, as I knew from my VW Bug days that in the UK its pre '73 cars that are allowed them!

Does this apply to cars originally registered in CI, or do they have to be currently registered in CI?

Dilemma................................

Sarah has said that she is buying me the following for Christmas:

A private plate S4VY C.

A remap from Angel Tuning.

A Six Super-Car Track Day.

I thought, mmm, I love my wife, she's great, but then she said, 'which one of the three would you like?'

I'm not happy, can you guys help me decide ???

Re: Dilemma................................

twincamms said:
Sarah has said that she is buying me the following for Christmas:

A private plate S4VY C.

A remap from Angel Tuning.

A Six Super-Car Track Day.

I thought, mmm, I love my wife, she's great, but then she said, 'which one of the three would you like?'

I'm not happy, can you guys help me decide ???
Swop the wife...............

SORRY ! :D Only joking Sarah xxxx :p

Alex said:
Does this apply to cars originally registered in CI, or do they have to be currently registered in CI?

I think the cars still have to be registered in CI but could be wrong, as I said there are a lot of them down here and the plates do look good especially on Silver or Black cars. Saw a silver Merc AMG SL55 with one that was something like G 550 as the plates either start with a G or a J (Guernsey/Jersey?) followed by a series of numbers.

& one of my neighbours or could be friend of neighbours has a silver Corsa with a J **** plate on it, never spoken to them, but if chance arises I'll ask. (y)

Back