Not sure how this works But..

Currently reading:
Not sure how this works But..

Also max power for 'Fire' engines is way up in the rev range so you have to rev them to get to it, (think the 85 16v is max torque at 4k max power at 6), also the cold air faster car thing is mixture of both air and petrol densities combining both are more dense at lower temperatures so you get bigger bangs per volume in your cylinders. (point of note if your a cheap skate always fill your car at night its colder so the volume of the petrol in the pumps has shrunk and the counter is volume activated so you get more for your money)

yup, denscer air contains more oxygen. doesn't nessacerily mean its colder air, just denser.

fire engines love to rev, and if you've ever tried a fire equiped car thats been driven by someone who didn't rev it over 3/4k for the first half of its life it'll run like garbage, drink petrol and have a duff g'box.
mine however was owned by a70yr pair of grannies, who revved it pretty hard most days, so it runs free as anything, with a good g'box (considering milage).

as for 60 times, you can't really use your speedo its just a rough indicator, the only 0-60 times that I'lll allow you to post are from a drag strip, or from a calibrated aftermarket timer

Also max power for 'Fire' engines is way up in the rev range so you have to rev them to get to it, (think the 85 16v is max torque at 4k max power at 6), also the cold air faster car thing is mixture of both air and petrol densities combining both are more dense at lower temperatures so you get bigger bangs per volume in your cylinders. (point of note if your a cheap skate always fill your car at night its colder so the volume of the petrol in the pumps has shrunk and the counter is volume activated so you get more for your money)

I have heard that before but it's a bit of a paradox really. The temperature of the fuel in the storage tank is pretty much fixed over day-long periods. There will be a change over months of course. I just ran a quick test and for a 3 degC change, it leads to an approximate 0.3 % of change in the density; hence mass wise you are getting 0.3 % less according to my calcs.

What is an issue is delivery to the petrol station where the calibration of the tank load leaving the refiner could be very different to the constant temperature of the storage tank.

At best, if the tanks do experience a temperature change (they won't) - fill up in the morning around 8-9am, the fuel will be at its hottest at night, starting to drop slowly at around 8 in the winter and 10 in the summer at a guess.

and about your car going faster in the cold, is that something to do with petrol expanding in the heat?

cold damp air is more dense than hot dry air, therefore the car is taking more air in, on a cold morning, and the ecu detects this and gives more fuel to compensate, overall giving more power. its the same principle for cold air induction kits: move the intake to the coldest part of the engine bay.

Back