Technical Not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Not starting

Quin93

Hi, I have a 2016 1.4 punto. Replaced clutch about a week ago. Drove the car around for a few days and travelled about 400km. One day when reversing the car inside the garage I accidentally stalled it. From there on it doesn't want to crank at all, its giving me "feul cut off unavailable and stop start unavailable" I checked the earth cables to the body and to the gearbox, fuses are ok.Is something else that I can have a look at?

Hi, I have a 2016 1.4 punto. Replaced clutch about a week ago. Drove the car around for a few days and travelled about 400km. One day when reversing the car inside the garage I accidentally stalled it. From there on it doesn't want to crank at all, its giving me "feul cut off unavailable and stop start unavailable" I checked the earth cables to the body and to the gearbox, fuses are ok.Is something else that I can have a look at?
I had an 07 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet that the key wouldn't activate the starter and also the fuel pump in the tank. The previous owners idiot garage aggressively towed it around trying to bump start it, causing cam chain to fail!!!
On that car, the cause of the original fault was a wire from the ECU had corroded through, it controlled the relay at the fusebox under the bonnet that controlled the starter relay and also the fuel pump in the tank.
Your fault may be something totally different, not being there it is always hard to diagnose. I would have a listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a short time when you turn the ignition on. At least you can eliminate it from your search then.;)

I had an 07 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet that the key wouldn't activate the starter and also the fuel pump in the tank. The previous owners idiot garage aggressively towed it around trying to bump start it, causing cam chain to fail!!!
On that car, the cause of the original fault was a wire from the ECU had corroded through, it controlled the relay at the fusebox under the bonnet that controlled the starter relay and also the fuel pump in the tank.
Your fault may be something totally different, not being there it is always hard to diagnose. I would have a listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a short time when you turn the ignition on. At least you can eliminate it from your search then.;)
I jerked the car quite badly when I stalled it(not used to the clutch on the car 😬) will check the cam chain, thanx

I jerked the car quite badly when I stalled it(not used to the clutch on the car 😬) will check the cam chain, thanx
Sorry I thought from what you said at the beginning that it just cutout.
It may be a cam belt rather than a chain depending on model. Not impossible to lock up, but most chain or belt failures result in engine spinning over with no compression but not starting. You stated it doesn't crank at all.

Sorry I thought from what you said at the beginning that it just cutout.
It may be a cam belt rather than a chain depending on model. Not impossible to lock up, but most chain or belt failures result in engine spinning over with no compression but not starting. You stated it doesn't crank at all.
Yep not cranking at all, thought it may be like a safety feature when the belt snaps.

No such safety features on a punto. Do try a jump lead between the battery negative and the engine block just in case the earths look ok but have broken internally. All the other issues point toward something like an earth rather than a mechanical issue.

Any update on the repair?

This problem sounds like an interesting case study!

Back