no smoking in pubs

Currently reading:
no smoking in pubs

donaldmaclennan

suck--squeeze--bang--blow
Anyone here given up on going to pubs/clubs (Scotland and Northern Ireland) due to no smoking laws?

I've not given up!

mind you I'm a none smoker:D

maybe the rest of the UK will follow in the future aswell eh?

donaldmaclennan said:
maybe the rest of the UK will follow in the future aswell eh?

they are, next year.

i wont be going to pubs less. possibly more, cos i can have a pint and not stink afterwards (y)

i think there should be some clubs/pubs where peopel can still smoke though. then its up the staff and customers if they choose to be there or not.

"I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I recommend you look around the world in which we live ... and shut your ****ing mouth!"
"Non-smokers die every day. Sleep tight!

See, I know you've employed some kind of eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke; let me be the first to pop that ****ing bubble and send you hurtling back to reality – because you're dead too. And you know what doctors say: '****, if only you'd smoked, we'd have the technology to help you. It's you people dying from nothing who are screwed.'"

"To my delight, I find that there is a different warning on each pack of cigarettes. Mine says: Warning: Smoking can cause fetal damage or premature birth. **** it – I've found my brand! 'Yeah, give me a carton of Low Birth Weights.' Just don't get the ones that say lung cancer, you know? Shop around, it is your body."

"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? *****. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me. You're like the Jack LaLanne of smokers compared to me." (Flying Saucer Tour, 1991)
"Tell you, the worst kind of non-smokers' the kind where you're smokin' and they just walk up to you ... [starts coughing affectedly] I always say, '****, you're lucky you don't smoke. That's some cough you got there, dude. I'm smoking, you're coughing. Wow.' That's kind of cruel, man. Going up to a smoker and coughing. ****! Do you go up to crippled people dancing too, you ****s? 'Hey, Mr. Wheelchair. What's your problem? Come on ironside, race ya!'"

amen Bill........

turboned said:
"I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I recommend you look around the world in which we live ... and shut your ****ing mouth!"

amen Bill........

I fully respect the right to smoke. But come the day it's banned and I catch a smoker near me ligting up in a public place I'm going "eye gouging" and fiddle with the **ckers brain.

I thought smoking was going to be banned in every pub/club, really it's any enclosed public place... i think.

I'm a smoker and it really doesn't bother me that they're banning smoking in pubs, as long there is a suitable heater and shelter outside :D

but i've always thought that if people went outside for a smoke then they may leave their drink in the pub which leaves it more venerable to being spiked.

Or it could cause more trouble outside the pubs.

I'm not sure if this has been the case in scotland and northern ireland :confused:

The only thing is i wont be able to have a cigarette with my cup of tea in tesco's cafe now before going to work :bang:

Dan

turboned said:
"Tell you, the worst kind of non-smokers' the kind where you're smokin' and they just walk up to you ... [starts coughing affectedly] I always say, '****, you're lucky you don't smoke. That's some cough you got there, dude. I'm smoking, you're coughing. Wow.' That's kind of cruel, man. Going up to a smoker and coughing. ****! Do you go up to crippled people dancing too, you ****s? 'Hey, Mr. Wheelchair. What's your problem? Come on ironside, race ya!'"

amen Bill........

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:
You know what makes me laugh?
The fact that th government make out that they do these things because they want people to be more healthy!!! BOL**KS, the governments biggest income with the exception of fuel tax is tobbaco tax-FACT. So what happens when people stop smoking? answer= government loses income- result= everysingle one of us has to pay more income tax!! It wont bother smokers as they will have cut down to cause this to happen so they will only shell out what they would have spent on smokes.:D
Please all those selfish people who think its great to ban smoking outright, spare a thought for the old men who fought for this island of ours. They fought against a regime who wanted to impose their own views onto everyone and the thanks they get is to not be allowed to go down the local legion club to have a smoke and a pint and reminisce with fellow veterans.:bang: To me that is just outrageous:mad: , how many people here go to their local wmc?
Yes, i do smoke but not where people eat and i do show consideration for non smokers tho they dont appreciate it!! I dont like going out and having alchohol spilt on me by idiots who are off their face but i dont go round shouting from the rooftops raise the age of drinking to responsible 30yr olds. I cant stand people who drive while using drugs but i dont request them to have their liscences took off em for life. So come on people, life is too short, live and let live, some of us smokers are considerate people and do respect your views so why cant they bring back the snug (AKA smokeroom) in the local boozers and then everyone can be happy!! :hug:
Most of all though please spare a thought for those lonely old war veterans who now have no where to enjoy their well deserved fag & pint in their twighlight years.(n)

Sorry, I think you're a little misguided there.
It has been clinically proven that exposure in enclosed areas to other people's cigarrette smoke increases the chances of lung disease (never mind it stinks like crap and all your clothes stink).
People didn't fight in the war so that they could go down the pub and have a smoke.
It's all about choice. freedom. I want the freedom to be able to go out and have fun with my mates (some smoke some don't) without someone else making my choice to whether i'm exposed to cigarette smoke.

Now i don't have a major problem with smoking. mates smoke, and as you've pointed out, courtesy to not smoke when folk are eating... that's all cool.

previously, the smokers were smoking, cos it's what they want to do, but imposing that smoke on me. now, they can choose to smoke, but must do so not imposing it on me.

fair's fair.

nicotine is a byproduct of your habit.. you smoke, i don't want to wear it.

urine is a byproduct of my habit... i drink, don't make me come over and **** on you.

im sure smokers would like the choice of going out and sharing a cigrate and a drink with there mates but they cant now. maybe the choice people had before was to go to a different place if they dint like the smokeyness instead of relagating smokers to a 2nd classs citizens and making them leave the premisis and stand out side in rain and smoke or not even come there in first place.

personally i think the ban is joke. the government dont want people to stop smoking they make far to much money out of it. but least by doing this they will get the health advisors of there back and will be seen to be politically correct

oh and before you ask i dont smoke. never have never will.

Seraph said:
It's all about choice. freedom. I want the freedom to be able to go out and have fun with my mates (some smoke some don't) without someone else making my choice to whether i'm exposed to cigarette smoke.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!!:rolleyes:
Youve just said exactly what smokers are going on about and i quote YOU- "It,s all about choice.freedom. I want the freedom to be able to go out and have fun with my mates without someone else making my choice to whether im exposed to cigarette smoke".
And smokers want the freedom to be able to go out and have fun with their mates without someone else making the choice to whether they can have a cigarette.:D Do you not see the smokers argument?:bang: its exactly the same as yours, just a couple of words different. Im sure if you asked most smokers would they be prepared to use another room to smoke while out on the town they wouldnt have a problem with it!(y) but your quote seems very uncompromising and tbh selfish.:( That seems to be the problem with anti smoking lobby, they only see one side of the coin.:mad: To have a valid argument you must explore all avenues not just the ones that suit yourself.:slayer:
It was nice to see fishdudes comments as he isnt a smoker!:worship: and like i said previously , i dont ask for people under 30 to be stopped from drinking because some of em are idiots after just a few drinks but i bet youd feel hard done to if that was to happen. I honestly feel there is room for smokers and non smokers in our society.:hug: (y)

Cancer. Everything causes cancer apparently- and I'm ****ing sick of hearing about it. Smoking, Television, Pylons, E numbers, Mobile phones, Microwave ovens... It's a long and dull list that I am both loathed and intellectually incapable of completing.

Let's be honest, breathing in and out is slowly killing us anyway, with each breath I draw I am one breath closer to death. Wherever I am, and whatever I am doing I am breathing in something that is harmful to my health, should I stop breathing for the good of my health? Breathing pure oxygen will kill you too, why? Is it not pure and clean and wonderful? I'll tell you why, it's because the body has to keep on dieing in order to live, so bring it on cancer it's meant to be.

It's not only that everything we do seemingly causes cancer that bothers me; it's the fact that it's everything convenient or fun in the world that seems to cause it. I want to smoke cause it's fun, my mobile phone sat in my pocket right now cancerising my balls and future children is very useful and the E numbers that I will undoubtedly consume in my big Mac meal later on will taste delicious.

I've come to the conclusion that it is completely unavoidable. The people that don't get cancer either die of something else before the cancer gets them or they're simply immune to it. They should find as many smokers as they can over the age of 100 that have miraculously escaped cancer, grind them up and put them in our water supply. That ought to sort it.

It's about time we all accepted we're either gonna get it or we're not and just damn well enjoy ourselves. In the mean time we should be putting all the tax on these cancerous abominations into finding a cure instead of into our collective governments pockets.

If there's one thing we're good at as a species it's killing ourselves, and killing each other, technically that's two things were good at but I'm not a big fan of the human race so I'm only giving you one.

You know what ****s me off? Mobile phone, insurance, loan, and car commercials. Completely irrelevant to cancer but I never guaranteed you a complete anti-cancer rant so you people at the back climbing pylons and choking on your cigarettes can shut the **** up.

Let's start with car commercials. "There are only two places you can go to get a used car, castle Donnington's 'available cars' and 'availablecar.com'". Well **** me is the human race in trouble. I get the distinct impression that one company owns both the showroom and the website, and if there's only two places I can get my car then there's no competition! Gee I sure hope the illiterate homeless faggot they employed to create that little display of homosexuality was just trying to get my custom.

Mobile phone ring tone commercials. Don't get me started on that whole new brand of puss-laden boils. How in the hell do they make a middle-aged man sound so excited as he sells Satan's latest marketing gimmicky puke? "Get the latest 'crazy frog' ring tone now and the commission I receive will be wired directly to my balls affording me an even more excitable voice for the next commercial!" I ****ing hate that ****ty frog, I'd like to insert a tube into his anus and blow till his guts popped all over the floor then I'd vomit on his remains and feed them to my cat.

Don't think his torture ends there mind you. I'd follow the cat round for days if I had to, regardless of how demented the cat would think I had become. Once the cat shat out my frog vomit I would sneak the remains into a sci-fi convention where William Shatner just happened to be in attendance and rather impolitely throw them in his face. They would both be most humiliated and my life would be infinitely more bearable.

Back to the topic, why is each one of these commercials backed with ****ty dance music? It's like somebody pooled all the ****tiest aspects of each ****ty culture and mashed them together to produce the wankiest ****fest imaginable.

Irritating voice over? Check
Stupid wanky backing music of the stomach sickening variety? Check.
Pleasant Pub atmosphere destroying mobile phone ring tone? Check
High-pitched talking frog on a motorbike? Kill me.

i not good at long rants so just copied n pasted someones :p
http://www.ubersite.com/

Last edited:
MATT 68 said:
...the governments biggest income with the exception of fuel tax is tobbaco tax-FACT....
Really? You sure it's not income tax? Or VAT? Or corporation tax? Or business rates? Or council tax?
H

Thing is it's not just two groups of qual size fighting for their right to clean or filthy air. More people don't smoke than do and therefore it seems reasonable to do something that benefits the majority and at the same time possibly makes the minority think about their health.

There's no such thing as a considerate smoker by the way - if they don't leave clubs and pubs smelling of smoke, they leave their house and car smelling of it, which is OK obviously as its their personal stuff, but if there's kids or a partner involved, then it's somewhat unfair. Or in my 26 years, I've never met one.

EDIT - but I am usually kind to my smoking friends and allow them to breathe smoke all over me and go home stinking of it. Here on the border we now have true choice about whether we want to go smoking or non-smoking :)

Last edited:
Helz said:
Thing is it's not just two groups of qual size fighting for their right to clean or filthy air. More people don't smoke than do and therefore it seems reasonable to do something that benefits the majority and at the same time possibly makes the minority think about their health.

There's no such thing as a considerate smoker by the way - if they don't leave clubs and pubs smelling of smoke, they leave their house and car smelling of it, which is OK obviously as its their personal stuff, but if there's kids or a partner involved, then it's somewhat unfair. Or in my 26 years, I've never met one.

EDIT - but I am usually kind to my smoking friends and allow them to breathe smoke all over me and go home stinking of it. Here on the border we now have true choice about whether we want to go smoking or non-smoking :)

exactly the point I was making. Choice is a wonderful thing if it's not putting someone else out. I am an ex-smoker (they are th worst kind i guess). I could have the choice to stab someone in the face with a bottle per say, just in the same way they should have to choice to go out have fun, and NOT get stabbed in the face.... (a past time I must say which is quite frequent in the village I live in), but you wouldn't say that I had the right to go out and stab a room full of people in the face would you?
Smokers can by all means smoke as much as they like, the new laws mean they can smoke in the beer garden or whatever, cool. I'm not saying such a habit should be snubbed out completely, but why should I have to go home every night coughing and stinking like smoke just for their habit... as I say, you can cover my clothes and skin in your habit, can I come and p*ss all over your clothes please? I'd be more than happy to continue the way it is in weatherpoons pubs for example... smoking/non-smoking, but to say that non-smokers outweigh the smokers, the non-smoking areas are tiny, and in a back corner, and surrounded by smoking areas... you end up in a trapped bubble of cancerous death.
I think it's for the better, after all, how many smokers do you see who are wanting/trying to quit..? obviously it's ahabit worth fighting for then...

oh and paraphrasing a comedian who died of pancreatic cancer with a quote like "they can treat me"... great comment... for "the challenge of the 21st century", something also largly brought on by expsure to cigarette smoke... not good in a smokers arguement.

dan-the-man said:
I thought smoking was going to be banned in every pub/club, really it's any enclosed public place... i think.

I'm a smoker and it really doesn't bother me that they're banning smoking in pubs, as long there is a suitable heater and shelter outside :D

but i've always thought that if people went outside for a smoke then they may leave their drink in the pub which leaves it more venerable to being spiked.

Or it could cause more trouble outside the pubs.

I'm not sure if this has been the case in scotland and northern ireland :confused:

The only thing is i wont be able to have a cigarette with my cup of tea in tesco's cafe now before going to work :bang:

Dan

its all public enclosed places plus a lot of companys are extending it.eg where i work its 10m out with the company building which puts it outwith the company property.
it includes 'places' such as lorry drivers cabs as its a business area.
lets be honest smokers most would like to give up but its persona choice.the argument comes from both sides.
take the long term view its more than likely smoking will have dwindled out in about 3 generations IMO.
in the short term a few smokers have given up already to save the hassle of the ban.

read a letter in my local paper the other day from a smaoker saying how the smokers were building there own little communitys at the pub doors while the 'sad' non smokers are inside on there own which gave me a giggle

Personally I love the line

'Smokers you stink, dont make me stink too!'

Short and to the point.

If someone walked up to you covered in dog sh't you wouldnt say

'Oh thats his right to be covered in dog sh't and as I dont like it I'll just leave the bar so I dont stink'

See my point?

Back