New monitor resolutions????

Currently reading:
New monitor resolutions????

BenGP

Now then,

It has been a long time since I have posted, but....

Looking at buying a couple of new monitors, my last pair are getting old and a bit tatty now, and one of them has a gnat that has decided to die right in the middle of the screen. The old ones are 24" Samsung's (2433BW's) with a res of 1920x1200, my question - after looking at some new LED/LCD's by various manufacturers, regardless of size, why on earth are new monitors only 1920x1080?? :confused: Are we going backwards?? I've even seen 27" with the same res!!

Also - Looking at upgrading my 9800GT, what do you think to this?
(for Skyrim, MW3, BF3 etc... the 9800 doesn't like Skyrim too much)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-174-OK&tool=3

Any help appreciated :) as I am truly puzzled!!

Ta.

1920x1080 is otherwise known as 1080p and is the HDMI standard, I'm sure there are monitors out there which are capable of higher resolutions but they're maybe out of your budget range. As far as GFX cards go, my personal feeling is to go for the highest spec you can afford, and I'd rather pay more for a slightly lesser card from XFX than lesser for a higher spec card from WangYangPingPong or some other unknown brand. Was digging around in my old PC boxes yesterday and found a 3Dfx Voodoo 3!

I know it is 1080p, but why on earth a couple of years ago was 1920x1200 standard, and now it has suddenly dropped, surely games still run at 1200??

Also with regards to monitors it tends to be WangYangPingPong that offer 1200 as opposed to the well known brands, regardless of price.

Bear in mind that what we're seeing is only the native resolution, not the maximum. Because games, blu-ray, streamed video, etc are optimised for 1080p it follows that the hardware is also optimised for this. However you'll be able to push the monitor to higher resolutions, but likely at the expense of refresh rate.

Bear in mind that what we're seeing is only the native resolution, not the maximum. Because *games*, blu-ray, streamed video, etc are optimised for 1080p it follows that the hardware is also optimised for this. However you'll be able to push the monitor to higher resolutions, but likely at the expense of refresh rate.

Console games - even then they normally run much lower resolution "interlaced" into a higher resolution frame buffer ;). GTA4 was one of the examples that come to mind cheeky bastards.

I think you'll find that most monitors will do 1920x1200 - You may need to check manufacturers specs rather than the crap they post on ebuyer / overclockers etc which is often wrong and aimed at technophobes.

But I see your point the monitor I've had for like 4years now "Samsung 245b" does 1920x1200 all day long the only thing it's missing is a HDMI port which doesn't really bother me :).

I'm looking at a 30" one that does 2560x1536 :eek:

It's still the time when monitors come with DVi / DP / HDMi / composite / VGA just look at the dell 24" ultrasharpes ;)

If that was aimed at me, I know monitors can come with multiple connections - what I meant was using a pair of DVI cables from the same PC to the same monitor to enable resolutions of like 5000x3000, sort of like triple/dual display, but from a single display.

Cheers for the answers peeps,

Looks like its just the way its going now... Ahh well, suppose people are still selling tri-core processors, flogging old technology - shocking.... :confused:

Back