Technical New cinquecento introduction

Currently reading:
Technical New cinquecento introduction

LiteRye,

Attached is my generator-to-alternator swap guide. It details the wiring changes needed. If you're going to change out switches or incorporate mods (3rd brake light, USB charger, etc...), now is the time to do it.

I followed Tom's guidance on the oil pan vis-a-vis blue permatex, but used regular bolts (18-8 SST in M6x1.0, 20mm) with new SST spring lock washers.

Rather than convert to studs for the exhaust manifolds, I used ARP bolts (761-1006 - M8x1.25 45mm), but did heli-coil the head.

I still have some spare nuts/bolts/washers from my recent rebuild and it's fresh in my mind, so if you get in a pinch, let me know.

Attachments

• Fiat 500 Dynamo-to-Alternator Swap Tutorial v3.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks as always Tom for all your insights. For the rivnuts, do you know what size is recommended?

Thanks Jump Jet. I thought of doing the change over, but as much as a bitza as my car is I’m scared of a waterfall effect happening and a lot more things needing to be changed out to get it to work right. I’m still contemplating it but probably will stick with the dynamo at this point.

You say that your engine is a '650' with a dynamo? According to all my information (which i concede is for the UK market) the Mk1 (595cc) 126 had a dynamo , but, the Mk2 126 (652cc) only ever had an alternator fitted---very curious Alice!

With regard to the 'riv-nuts' for the rear roof-frame, I seem to remember using 5mm; but you may have to amend that, depending on the size of the holes left in the roof when the old soft-top is removed.

You say that your engine is a '650' with a dynamo? According to all my information (which i concede is for the UK market) the Mk1 (595cc) 126 had a dynamo , but, the Mk2 126 (652cc) only ever had an alternator fitted---very curious Alice!
Yup. That would appear to be the case. A 650 with a dynamo

Attachments

• FFCA64B1-5B42-40BD-A8BD-AF7BF59A5CEB.jpeg
    FFCA64B1-5B42-40BD-A8BD-AF7BF59A5CEB.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 751DB179-D666-4B79-B3D8-A2FE16F24ADE.jpeg
    751DB179-D666-4B79-B3D8-A2FE16F24ADE.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 30
That's a new one on me----but PLEASE remove that fuel filter between the pump and the carb. (a) being plastic, it could melt and leak all over the dynamo and (b) you do not need a 4th filter---there is one in the carb, the top of the pump and the tank unit.

Back