General Considering a Very Long Drive in a New to me Fiat

Currently reading:
General Considering a Very Long Drive in a New to me Fiat

RobertM

Hello all, I purchased a 1971 Fiat 500L on the opposite side of the country (United States) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it home. I had an east coast road trip planned (where the car is located) prior to buying it so I'm trying to figure out what my best course of action is. I can ship or trailer the car back with me, or for what I believe will be a significant cost savings, and way more fun, I could attempt to drive it back home.

Per google maps my route, avoiding highways, will be around 4,354 miles and a extremely optimistic 84 hours (I'm expecting well over 100hrs of drive time). If I decide to drive I plan on carrying some spare parts with me I've read through a few other posts and seen that ignition condensers and the flexible joint drives are good things to carry. I'll probably also do an oil change as well as fresh spark plugs and wires upon picking up the car. Are there any other parts that would be smart to carry in the car? Additionally, will it hurt these cars to sit flat out for extended periods of time, or should I try to keep the car around 50mph? I get the impression that the throttle in these cars is on the floor majority of the time.

As for the route, I will not be heading directly home, I am going to start near Philadelphia, drive down to Washington DC, spend some time in Shenandoah national park before heading down to southern Florida, then returning to Utah from there. I'm a little concerned about driving over the mountains but I expect that it's possible but will be very slow. This trip will take roughly 3 weeks, and I will be stopping at various family members houses along the way so I will have space to repair the car as required so long as parts are available.

A little back story on me personally. I frequently drive very long distances to climb mountains / or visit national parks so I'm no stranger to driving long distances, I typically average around 50,000 miles a year with only 10,000 of that being normal commuting miles. I also last year drove a 1960 Mini from Miami to Kansas City (around 2,200 miles total, unfortunately from there the car had to be trailered home due to a failed Spicer Joint that I was not able to find / replace quick enough to get home in time) in the middle of summer, so I'm no stranger to the suffering that driving an old car like this can bring, though I had a great time, the Mini made around 3x the power as this little fiat will so it also made things a little easier.

So this is the part where I ask, is this a terrible plan? Should I be smart and trailer it / ship it from the onset? What's the smallest size trailer we can comfortably get one of these cars on? Is this the greatest idea you've ever heard and it sounds like the most fun you could have in a 500?

First off, Welcome to the forum. 👍

So. ive honestly pondered this in regards to the 500. A North American road trip. Having done a fair bit of road trips in other cars across the US and Canada over all the varying terrain types. The absolute only way i would ever take a 500 across the continent is if it was modified with more power. The speed of traffic, even off hwy, is not something i would consider safe on the relatively straight and congested roads that cross the country. In stock form, the 500 struggles to keep up at 50/55mph on flat land, but it can do it. If traffic isnt a concern, just keep in mind, unlike the mini which was sold in the USA, the fiat technically wasnt, un-common parts are a 2-3 week wait. Belts, sparkplugs, fuel filter is about the only thing you might be able to get at a autozone. If you can pre-order parts. Get some spare tires, inner tubes, headlight bulbs, ignition parts, and small metric tool set. Thats about all i could think of

If you plan to take all back roads, it could be a fun endeavor, and without a doubt a way to really experience all that can be offered when trekking off the beaten path. If you car already has a 650 upgrade, and is healthy, it could be done with reduced stress🤣.

With that all said. If you do plan to take the drive. It would make for a heck of a travel thread if you update us during your journey with photos.

The risk with shipping is ive heard too many horror stories with lackluster transport companies damaging cars. Honestly, it would be cheaper to buy a basic 5x8 flatbed trailer, a few spare tires and lug it back if you drive back.

Last edited:
If you car already has a 650 upgrade, and is healthy, it could be done with reduced stress🤣.

I don't know a whole lot about these cars yet, I've been pretty firmly in Mini land for the past few months working on a mechanical restoration on that car. I've seen that I can get the Abarth Kit directly from Fiat to make it a 595, but what is the 650 and what power would you normally get out of them? My plan for the car is to make it a bit sporty by giving it some sort of power bump, abarth style suspension, a abarth style wheel and gauge binnacle as well as any other bits I can find to make it more fun to drive.

The quick jist is.. After the production of the 500, fiat began manufacturing the fiat 126, it shares some similarity to the 500, but has a 650cc engine that looks nearly identical to the 500. Sometimes folks have swapped in a 650 engine into a classic 500 for a tad bit more power. Along with this, is also the matching gearbox that has syncomesh and a slightly taller gear ratio for higher top speed tied to the increase in hp. Many folks have purchased a 500 second hand only to discover it already has a 650 upgrade, and its relatively faster then stock.

With that said, once you liven up these cars, either with a 650 drop in, or upgrades on the 500 engine. They are like a go cart for the street. I found them to be an absolute blast to drive, and unlike anything most have experienced. Obviously being a mini enthusiast yourself, small cars have that charm that nothing on the market today can deliver ;) The mini is on my to do list soon

Last edited:
Good luck w/ your new ride! I'm REALLY enjoying my '68 Fiat 500L.

When I purchased my '79 Jeep CJ-5 on the other side of the country, I contracted an enclosed trailer to pick it up and deliver to me in southern Florida. An open trailer would have been less expensive, but I wanted the extra protection for this open vehicle.

When I purchased my gorgeous '86 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa in Austin, TX I first had it professionally wrapped, bumper to bumper by a professional local ship, then flew in and drove it home to southern Florida. Of course there were issues en route, but I dealt w/ those and continued on. Now I use this for road trips from hundreds of miles to thousands of miles, one way.

When I collected my '68 Fiat 500L, a half day drive away, I just rented a U-Haul 6x12 Utility Trailer w/ Ramp and borrowed my daughter's F250 to bring it home myself. All went well.

Not yet ready for me to drive my 500L on the highway, maybe someday, maybe not.

53470567719_f037c21aa3_b.jpg

53470247191_7ca5cd7753_b.jpg
[

53470671645_b84f2f4401_b.jpg

I admire people who commit to long distances in a 500, but I would be concerned at doing so in a car that I had just bought.
Properly setup, the 500 will go all day at near to its top speed, and if you can keep off the freeway for most of the time it can be extremely satisfying and maybe surprisingly comfortable.
I have no experience of US roads either in a 500 or any other car, but I think it would take some nerve to drive 5,000 miles there in one extended journey. I've done almost 400 miles of mixed motoring in a 500 in one day and really enjoyed it; so much so that I intentionally veered well off route onto challenging mountain passes. But UK mountains are mere bumps in comparison with those in the US!
I assume that the US has breakdown recovery services which will take you and the car home in the case of a proper breakdown?
Go for it, and as said above, be sure to report on the journey.
Try this:

The quick jist is.. After the production of the 500, fiat began manufacturing the fiat 126, it shares some similarity to the 500, but has a 650cc engine that looks nearly identical to the 500. Sometimes folks have swapped in a 650 engine into a classic 500 for a tad bit more power. Along with this, is also the matching gearbox that has syncomesh and a slightly taller gear ratio for higher top speed tied to the increase in hp. Many folks have purchased a 500 second hand only to discover it already has a 650 upgrade, and its relatively faster then stock.

With that said, once you liven up these cars, either with a 650 drop in, or upgrades on the 500 engine. They are like a go cart for the street. I found them to be an absolute blast to drive, and unlike anything most have experienced. Obviously being a mini enthusiast yourself, small cars have that charm that nothing on the market today can deliver ;) The mini is on my to do list soon

I've gone through a few posts about the 650 engine vs the 595 kit from Fiat and a lot of people have said they make the same power but also that the 595 kit is too expensive (2000 Euros) but I can't seem to find a 126 engine for less than $3,500. Where do you typically go to find a 126 engine? I've seen a few sites selling built up 126 engines for around 5,000 that make ~40 horsepower. I've got a while to think about which way I want to go with it.

I admire people who commit to long distances in a 500, but I would be concerned at doing so in a car that I had just bought.
Properly setup, the 500 will go all day at near to its top speed, and if you can keep off the freeway for most of the time it can be extremely satisfying and maybe surprisingly comfortable.
I have no experience of US roads either in a 500 or any other car, but I think it would take some nerve to drive 5,000 miles there in one extended journey. I've done almost 400 miles of mixed motoring in a 500 in one day and really enjoyed it; so much so that I intentionally veered well off route onto challenging mountain passes. But UK mountains are mere bumps in comparison with those in the US!
I assume that the US has breakdown recovery services which will take you and the car home in the case of a proper breakdown?
Go for it, and as said above, be sure to report on the journey.
Try this:

After watching that video I'm just more encouraged to give it a try

Best of luck! As was said, please keep us posted.

In addition to the listed tools / materials, also carry a full supply of engine parts and gaskets, in case partial disassembly is required.
I think that the trick is to carefully organise your route in order that you keep off free-ways as much as possible, and limit the number of miles that you do each day, to maybe 150. However, I think that it would be very rash to attempt that sort of trip in a car that you have just bought. I think that one sensible suggestion to hire a trailer is worth giving thought to, as is the suggestion of buying a trailer, and then when you get home, if you don't need it, sell it and get some of your costs back. I have, as "Bounding Bambino" will confirm, a 500 ' with a "well enhanced" 650 engine in the rear, and although it will cruise a 60mph easily, I still try and keep away from our motor-ways (free-ways to you lot 'over there') as much as I can. As has been mentioned, a standard 500 will cruise at no more than 50/55
As you have driven Minis long distances, I must assume that you will be able to 'double-de-clutch'--and if you can't, you will by the time you have finished the trip! The 500 gear-box is a 'dog-box' i.e. no synchro---careful gear-change UP doesn't require D-d-Cing, but going DOWN definately does.
With regard to a 650 engine, why not make one? The standard 500 crankcase cylinder apertures can safely be opened up to accept 652cc barrels (but NO more)--you can use the same cylinder head, slightly modified to accept the slightly bigger Weber 28LMB carb (off a 126).Get yourself a 2nd standard 500 engine and whilst using the engine currently in the car to initially run around with, build up your 'enhanced' engine.
Be VERY careful with regard to buying a "big, tuned-up" engine from that well-known company in Atlanta. A good friend of mine became a good friend due to the amount of time that I had to spend on HIS engine that he had bought from that company whilst he and his wife were still in the USAF, prior to being seconded over here to the UK---it was a heap of crap!
You mentioned in your initial comments that you would like to fit "an Abarth-style instrument binnacle". Fitting these binnacles onto a 'L' is quite a bit more difficult than any of the other 500 models.When you come to do it it is a real "once you have started, you are committed!" job. Unlike any other version of the 500, the instrument cluster on a 'L' is mounted on a raised section of the dash---quite a bit of this raied section has to be cut away in order to mount the "Abarth" cluster----and when it has been cut off, there is no easy way to put the cut-off section back. I know--I had to take the "BIG DEEP BREATH" before I started my cluster fitment--on my 500L. Whatever you decide to do, the Forum is here to help.
To return to the original question----I really do think that it would be wiser to try and organise to trail the car home.

When I purchased my '79 Jeep CJ-5 on the other side of the country, I contracted an enclosed trailer to pick it up and deliver to me in southern Florida. An open trailer would have been less expensive, but I wanted the extra protection for this open vehicle.
Sooo easy to just contract a company to pickup and deliver the vehicle to your door!

Then, get the vehicle sorted and gradually increase the excursion distances.

Or even, get a small trailer and pull it behind your SUV or pickup to destinations and use it for popping around at desired remote locations.

My 100% speculation is that the vehicle will make it some "short" distance on the LONG trip, requiring either parts, tools, both that are not on-hand, requiring an update to the plan, to tow a disabled vehicle from the random location.

I admire your adventurous spirit but personally I would not attempt it due to: the car is new to you so an unknown quantity as far as reliability is concerned; you are new to the Fiat 500 experience; relative shortage of places to get spares if something does go wrong; the overall distance increases the likelihood that something will go wrong/need replacing. Based on what you've told us, I think I would get the car transported to you, get used to the car, then start doing smaller/shorter trips to work up to a big one.

Over here, I've done up to 2-300 hassle-free miles in a single day in my 500L, and a few short 2-day trips but nothing more. I have a pipe-dream that I would like to drive it from the UK to Sicily and back but that is 'only' 1,700 miles each way (unless I take ferries for some big sections) and in Europe, particularly Italy, there are enthusiasts and some suppliers dotted around all over the place that could probably help out reasonably quickly in case of need.

Good luck whatever you decide... and if you do decide to do the drive, definitely blog it on here :)

A nice story and nice conversation!

I think it needs to be towed "home". You're going to end up broken down and trying to find a garage. It'll be really disruptive to your whole week. If this were a modern car I'd say give it a go. But from 1971 it's not going to make it.

Whilst I agree with the many sensible folks posting, I would like to play devils advocate and say if you've got the skills, ambition, back up money and can afford to get home a few days late if needs be, then go for it! You will need to be prepared for issues though, and be the kind of person who can deal with those problems on your own and find creative solutions / bodges to keep you moving. Worst case, if you can afford to take the financial risk, is you break down and have to take a taxi to get a hire car to drag it home with.

Ultimately if you're up for the adventure, then where there's a will there's a way. I recently read a book about a chap driving a 1925 Austin 7 from Buenos Aries to New York in the 50s. It sounded like a horrendous struggle, having to climb the Andes in reverse at walking pace because reverse was lower geared than 1st, and all sorts of madness, but still he made it!

In the case of my standard 500cc car, it seems perfectly happy to go along with my foot flat on the floor for many miles at a time. It will eventually work its way up to just shy of 60 on a flat road. That said keeping to approx 50 on the flat, feels a little kinder to the car. Gives it a little rest before any slight incline results in being back to flat out. Be prepared to climb anything more than a very slight incline in 3rd at ~40mph, and if you've not got a decent run at the hill then steeper hills you'll be in 2nd at ~27mph.

The 500 is a very simple car, and can be fixed with simple tools, there's little you couldn't fix in the carpark of a parts store in a couple of hours if you're handy enough. The air cooled engine can be worked on with relative ease, and if it really came to it can be removed in under and hour using a jack to support it.

As you've mentioned, ignition components seem to take a toll, especially condensers. The condenser is mounted externally on the distributer, so in a pinch almost any condenser for a 12v negative earth system could be bodged to work, regardless of size or mounting style.

As the car is new to you, I'd also be prepared with some fuel system parts, maybe pre-order a carb rebuild kit? Take some lengths of fuel hose, and maybe a cheap electric fuel pump as a back up? Talking of long periods at high speed, avoid any auxiliary fuel filters in the engine bay (there are brass filter screens built into the pick up in the tank, the fuel pump and car inlet). With the car being air cooled, and the location of the exhaust, it can get very very hot in the engine bay and plastic filters have been known to split and cause fires.

Also talking of running for long periods at high speed, keep a close eye on the valve clearances. The valve clearances can close up over time, often just causing an easily fixed breakdown, but the real risk on a big long journey like the one you're doing would be burning a valve or seat, as that would not be a roadside fix.

Most importantly, if you do it, please keep us updated! Everyone loves following a good adventure from their armchair, haha. 🙂

So yes, the OP trip sound like LOTS of fun and a terrific adventure, but I would 100% expect unplanned delays from random vehicle issues.

My suggested tool / material list is a good start for maintaining Pakled motion, assuming the OP is handy turning wrenches.

When my rocker shaft studs failed my preferred repair method was using my drill press, for better accuracy, but a hand drill could have been used w/ acceptable results.

In my case, I've used Mr. Fiat for all my vehicle-specific requirements. In a pinch, he has even rushed shipments to me, when required. I remain amazed / satisfied at the extensive part availability for this vehicle.

If the OP has time flexibility for unexpected delays, if the OP carries sufficient tools and materials and if the OP has sufficient mechanical repair skills, then yes, go for it and enjoy this vehicle adventure!

I've committed to the drive at this point... but getting the car towed back home wont be much of a significant problem. I have the ability to work remote, and actually will be doing that a fair bit on this trip. As for tools I plan on getting a set of wrenches, a few screw drivers, sockets, and a fire extinguisher. The current parts list is drive couplers, a few ignition condensers, a carb rebuild kit, a few if not all engine gaskets, a new distributor cap, spark plugs, plug wires, and I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil at the start of the trip and the engine oil at the start and half way though.

In case of a break down that I can't easily solve, I will have AAA to tow me up to 200 miles, and I will be able to quickly fly home and return with my own truck and trailer, and finish the journey with only 1-2 days delay. I also have a Garmin in-reach in case I have an issue somewhere without cell service.

I also ran the math and by driving the car I'll be saving $1500-2000 over towing it or having it shipped, so in a worst case if I have to spend the money to fly back and get the truck and trailer it will only cost me an additional $300-400 for the plane ticket.

Whenever I did this trip with the Mini I had my fair share of issues but like this trip I planned on spending a few days at family member's houses in Indiana and Florida so I can have time to work on the car as needed. The Mini went though an Alternator, brake caliper, and drive belt, and eventually the one that caused the tow home a Spicer joint.

I've committed to the drive at this point... but getting the car towed back home wont be much of a significant problem. I have the ability to work remote, and actually will be doing that a fair bit on this trip. As for tools I plan on getting a set of wrenches, a few screw drivers, sockets, and a fire extinguisher. The current parts list is drive couplers, a few ignition condensers, a carb rebuild kit, a few if not all engine gaskets, a new distributor cap, spark plugs, plug wires, and I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil at the start of the trip and the engine oil at the start and half way though.

In case of a break down that I can't easily solve, I will have AAA to tow me up to 200 miles, and I will be able to quickly fly home and return with my own truck and trailer, and finish the journey with only 1-2 days delay. I also have a Garmin in-reach in case I have an issue somewhere without cell service.

Whenever I did this trip with the Mini I had my fair share of issues but like this trip I planned on spending a few days at family member's houses in Indiana and Florida so I can have time to work on the car as needed. The Mini went though an Alternator, brake caliper, and drive belt, and eventually the one that caused the tow home a Spicer joint.
This will be a really satisfying journey and with the previous experiences and skills that you obviously have, you are going to have fun.
I think some people have missed the point of this; sounds like you can easily afford to have it towed home and have the capacity to do it yourself. But Fiats are for driving and life is for living. Since you will be making a very purposeful journey in bringing the bambino home whilst visiting conveniently located friends and relatives, why not?
Excellent decision. :)

Last edited:

I also ran the math and by driving the car I'll be saving $1500-2000 over towing it or having it shipped, so in a worst case if I have to spend the money to fly back and get the truck and trailer it will only cost me an additional $300-400 for the plane ticket.

The sliding section of the drive-shaft coupling is a relatively easy job to replace "in-situ"--a 13mm spanner and socket is all you really need.If however the alloy/rubber part of the coupling lets-go, that is a different 'kettle of fish' all together because you will require a 31mm socket and a couple of LONG bars--one for the socket and the other to hold the hub in postion whilst you tighten the stub-axle nut (2 wheel bolts in place at 180 degrees to each other, with the wheel off and the bar between the wheelbolts). make sure that the 'sliding' couplings are the high-quality versions, with a slight bluenessin the are of the splines toshow that they have been heat-treated; the 'cheap' versions have a habit of stripping the spines in the coupling, but strangely, not the spines on the shaft which will be a 25mm shaft. Don't forget to pack a couple of stands in your tool-kit---we don't want to hear that the jack has collapsed on you and injured you! Prior to setting out, just check for play in the front king-pins and if possible, give them a GOOD grease with a grease-gun.
However it goes, were here to help you should you need it---best of luck.

The sliding section of the drive-shaft coupling is a relatively easy job to replace "in-situ"--a 13mm spanner and socket is all you really need.If however the alloy/rubber part of the coupling lets-go, that is a different 'kettle of fish' all together because you will require a 31mm socket and a couple of LONG bars--one for the socket and the other to hold the hub in postion whilst you tighten the stub-axle nut (2 wheel bolts in place at 180 degrees to each other, with the wheel off and the bar between the wheelbolts). make sure that the 'sliding' couplings are the high-quality versions, with a slight bluenessin the are of the splines toshow that they have been heat-treated; the 'cheap' versions have a habit of stripping the spines in the coupling, but strangely, not the spines on the shaft which will be a 25mm shaft. Don't forget to pack a couple of stands in your tool-kit---we don't want to hear that the jack has collapsed on you and injured you! Prior to setting out, just check for play in the front king-pins and if possible, give them a GOOD grease with a grease-gun.
However it goes, were here to help you should you need it---best of luck.
I'm not sure changing the rubber part is something I'll easily be able to do in a parking lot somewhere, but I'll probably bring a couple of them with me just incase and I can change them at my dad's house, he has a good space to work on cars and pretty much every tool that I would need.

Back