General Considering a Very Long Drive in a New to me Fiat

Currently reading:
General Considering a Very Long Drive in a New to me Fiat

Don't forget to pack a couple of stands in your tool-kit---we don't want to hear that the jack has collapsed on you and injured you!
My tool arsenal includes MANY jack stands, however, when I purchased and started playing my my '86 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa I discovered that I need to add a REALLY small set of jack stands to support the front end on that vehicle.

To that end I purchased a pair of these low profile 2 ton jack stands. They have worked really well on the 911, but I haven't yet tried them on the Fiat.

It looks like they would be ideal for carrying / using on the Fiat.

53238917013_cf7ce7e841_c.jpg

FWIW, the setup I've used several times at home on the Fiat is my ratcheting jack stands. These are super secure and VERY versatile, but not ideal for travel portability in a tiny vehicle.

View attachment 440819

I have a boat load of jack stands at home, I mostly use my quick jacks for everything, or my lift for simple fluid changes. Unfortunately with these tiny cars I’ve been stuck using jacks and jack stands again because my quick jacks are actually too long to fit under the car. Grabbing a few of those 2 ton lower jack stands from Walmart or harbor freight is probably a good idea though.

I have a boat load of jack stands at home, I mostly use my quick jacks for everything, or my lift for simple fluid changes. Unfortunately with these tiny cars I’ve been stuck using jacks and jack stands again because my quick jacks are actually too long to fit under the car. Grabbing a few of those 2 ton lower jack stands from Walmart or harbor freight is probably a good idea though.
The 500 is a very light car, so all you need (and I don't expect that you will need more than 2) are light-weight stands---just simple stands where the height is controlled by pins going through the adjustable shaft will be all that you need---you need to think about weight and how you are going to pack everything in

Those Quick Jacks look nice, but I don't foresee making that switch any time soon.
They’re expensive, but if you’re regularly lifting low cars they’re amazing. I use them on my Miata, Covette, Jetta and Touareg. As well as my moms A4 and sisters ND Miata and the amount of time they save vs fiddling around with jacks is wonderful… but I’m also taking them out 1 or 2 times per month minimum.

They’re expensive, but if you’re regularly lifting low cars they’re amazing. I use them on my Miata, Covette, Jetta and Touareg. As well as my moms A4 and sisters ND Miata and the amount of time they save vs fiddling around with jacks is wonderful… but I’m also taking them out 1 or 2 times per month minimum.
A great item if you are only needing them in your workshop---but the Fiat has limited space, so you want (and onlyneed) a couple of lightweight stands---don't forget, this little car only weighs just over a 1,000lbs TOTAL! So carrying around a pair of 2-ton stands is unneccesary

A great item if you are only needing them in your workshop---but the Fiat has limited space, so you want (and onlyneed) a couple of lightweight stands---don't forget, this little car only weighs just over a 1,000lbs TOTAL! So carrying around a pair of 2-ton stands is unneccesary
Perhaps a set of folding axles stands might be worth looking for to help with the packing.
Personally I would even consider shortening or modifying a set to help with the weight and space.

Back